Just placed my first order for snuff, excited to try it out.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stackle2

Reaction score
I have been lurking here in the snuffbox, doing my research. Finally today I bit the bullet & ordered a small selection to try, see if its my thing.

1 x Toque Grapefruit
1 x Wilsons S.S
1 x Samuel Gawith SP No1 High Mill
1 x Toque Lime Toast
1 x McChrystal's Mild Lemon
1 x Wilsons Chocolate Orange
1 x Wilsons SP 100

Obviously I like citrus & bergamot. I ordered a few outside my taste range because my wife & room mate have recently let me lead them down the path towards pipe smoking, figured another habit that I can share could be fun.

Any ideas regarding what I ordered? Suggestions for next time?

A very nice selection! Toque Grapefruit is nice, but use it quickly, its scent fades. Lime toast is in the running for my favorite of all time!

Glad to hear that I picked a couple good ones.

I see pipe smoking/snuff as a more meditative luxury, as opposed to ciggs which is just a tasteless way to get nicotine into the system. I've recently doubled the size of my pipe collection, & probably trippled the number of bowls I smoke a day. This has led to a nice draw down of the number of packs of ciggs I go through in a week. Also, the more I smoke pipe, the more I detest the way that ciggs dull my sense of taste & smell, & prevent me from enjoying my pipe as much as I could be with a relatively clean palate.

I figured snuff could fill the niche when I need a nic hit, but don't have 45 minutes for a full bowl. On the upside, the military is filled with smokers & dippers, so there isn't going to be anyone frowning on tobacco use, on the downside, the military frowns on most of the reasons that cause people to walk around sniffing & wiping their noses, so hopefully I can get it out there that I am a snuff taker before someone pulls an intervention on me for my 'coke habit'...lol

Well, I got the snuff a week or so ago, & I must say, I am really enjoying the McCrystal's mild Lemon, & the Winston S.S. a lot. I have tried the others, but I have almost finished a tin of the mild lemon, & it just seems to grow on me more & more every day. It has a nice nic hit, its easy on the sinuses, & the light aroma is very comforting & fresh.

The Toque is a lot harsher on the nose, the grapefruit went straight to the brain, my eyes were burning, my nose was on fire...WOW, that stuff kicks!

Stackle2":qo22us0g said:
The Toque is a lot harsher on the nose, the grapefruit went straight to the brain, my eyes were burning, my nose was on fire...WOW, that stuff kicks!
It'll get easier with practice. There are a couple of methods of using fine snuff. Take a deep breath and hold it BEFORE you snuff. Or, if you can control your breathing, you'll learn in time how to sniff gently enough.

I guess now isn't the time to tell you there are finer snuffs. :p American Scotches are one step finer, and Dholakia White is approximately the size of an atom.

Well, so far I am doing fine with them. I've learned about the different grind sizes, I only ordered 6 different types of snuff, but there is enough variation among those six to get a general idea of how wide the selection available really is.

Some of the snuff is just generally a beast in the Nic department. My buddy did a few hits of the Toque, he good woozy, almost fell down, then threw up on my porch...LOL. Whats funny, is that Haddo's Delight actually had the same effect on him. He loved it till the nicotine kicked him in the face & then laughed at him.