JUST PLAIN COOL

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treezenroots":fr3ix99s said:
Brand new here, and trying to get my work shown. Work with all types of rare Burl,love it. check it out!!!!!
Wow !! Virtual pipes !! With the right APP we could all see 'em :p

monbla256":ckkdmb73 said:
treezenroots":ckkdmb73 said:
Brand new here, and trying to get my work shown. Work with all types of rare Burl,love it. check it out!!!!!
WHAT?

treezenroots":n4skoplf said:
monbla256":n4skoplf said:
treezenroots":n4skoplf said:
WHAT?
You asked us to check out your work but you don't show any pics or give a link to go to.

Am I the only one who can see them?
Because they're amazing!
Just picture what Tom Eltang could do if he only had some imagination, and you'd be in the ball park.

Just kidding...I can't see them either. :scratch:

monbla256":kgq2itop said:
treezenroots":kgq2itop said:
monbla256":kgq2itop said:
treezenroots":kgq2itop said:
WHAT?
You asked us to check out your work but you don't show any pics or give a link to go to.
Sent u an email with a link to my site, guess it did'nt go through. Its not letting me post anything yet. treezenroots.com

How dense is burl compared to briar? Is burl more subject to burnout than briar?

The Emporer's New Pipes!!!

Mr. Treezenroots:

Just copy the address of your site from your address bar and paste in here in your next post. It will magically turn into a link.

OR -

1) right click on a picture of online of one of them and go to the bottom section where it says, "Properties" - click on that.
2) Then look for the image address. It will have "jpg" at the end of it.
3) Left click on it to highlight and then right click and click on, "copy". (you now have the image address on your clipboard)
4) Come over here to this thread and do a reply, like before.
5) Just to the right of halfway across the top where all the icons are, there's one that looks like a TV screen.
6) Left click on it and a mini-screen will pop open.
7) Put your cursor in text box there and right click, then click on 'paste' and the address you copied will be pasted onto the message.
8) Check to see if all is well by clicking on the preview button under the large text box and your image should be on the screen.

It looks long - but it takes less than 30 seconds.

jlong":sc1nh5c9 said:
How dense is burl compared to briar? Is burl more subject to burnout than briar?
A burl is just a knot, or outgrowth, typically in the root. Could be a briar burl, but looks like he is using alternative woods, and they will not be as heat resistant as briar. Makers have tried producing pipes out of about every substance you can imagine, and almost all have settled on briar, for good reason.

No wonder my re-purposed memory foam pipes performed so poorly. Sheesh. 8)

Here...let's help the little guy out:

His site:

http://www.treezenroots.com/FREEHAND_CARVED_PIPES.php

Three pipe photos:

tn_1200_d823304231713443c218c1dbd1613ed5.jpg.png

tn_1200_2f6a8c0fbc183aeb374ce0df6f76db1b.jpg.png

tn_1200_182ceeea041c82d3d6028faf54d5f023.jpg.png

I think forumotion is set up to disallow posting of links until you reach a certain post count. I don't remember the exact number, I think I hit it 6000 post ago give or take a thousand.

Edit. 7000 post ago. Wow, where did that last thousand come from?

Yeah, links don't appear for some time (a month or so?) for newer users. I remember this.

Post counting--a reminder of how much time I have (had?) on my hands. :lol:

jlong":1lp1nqui said:
Briar is a burl, it just happens to be one that is gathered from underground and is prized for its denseness,but more important, the specific grain it produce's. The burl I hunt for, and beleive me, I have to hunt for this stuff,grows above ground,and is not a knot. Most times this burl forms on these tree's, do to some sort of stress, fungus,or some sort of bug. There are knots within the burl that I will see when I crack these baby;s open,and they are caused a lot of times, from dormant budds. This, in most case's will give you the birds eye grain, and we all love that. As far as density, the Pin Cherry burl or (Fire Cherry) that I've harvested lately, is some of the most insanely dense, heavy, stock that I have worked with, and I have worked with some of the (supposed) nicest hardwoods, including briar. I have NO problems with burnout. Want to check it out? I'll send you a block of it, No Problem.

Depending on the species of tree, resin and organic compounds could be an issue--how do you treat these burls when you make a pipe, if you don't mind my asking?

If you're sending out blocks of burl...a friend of mine and I both make pipes from Cherry, Black Walnut Burl and Applewood with very good results. The Cherry imparts a really nice subtlly sweet flavor to the smoke. I think the Apple would as well, but I've not tried that as yet. If you want to do some kind of exchange...let me know, as both of us have an ongoing interest in making pipes from unique woods. I live in Western Oregon and he's in the Ozarks.

Then latest one I did was out of Cherry...a hexagon to allow the panels to show off what grain there was...and I opened the shank up to fit the Missouri Meerschaum stem size, which is kind of an odd and large diameter. I did it so I could use the $0.25 MM stems (major cheapskate here). THEN I discovered a new stem 'Special Edition' on the website for Walker's Briar Works (they do the 'Forever Stems' to fit the cobs). They were too cool to pass over and I got two. So there went the el cheapo stem thing. It's always something! Anyway, your burl sounds very interesting indeed.

Two pipes I've wanted to try:

* One made out of cherry wood

* One made out of olive wood

I hear both have their fans and critics, and from what I can see, both can be damn pretty at the very least. 8)

If I can lay my hands on another Cherry strummel (which is pretty likely) I'll make you one that takes the MM sized stem...a straight one.

I'd like to try an olive wood pipe someday. Or even more...morta! Now there's an interesting material. So is Bog Oak...though I doubt THAT would smoke very well...but it might?

Blackhorse":2cjwen5p said:
If I can lay my hands on another Cherry strummel (which is pretty likely) I'll make you one that takes the MM sized stem...a straight one.

I'd like to try an olive wood pipe someday. Or even more...morta! Now there's an interesting material. So is Bog Oak...though I doubt THAT would smoke very well...but it might?
Morta/bog oak is synonymous, right? I believe it is. I have two by Todd Harris. They both smoke a treat. I love 'em. 8)