Just starting in Kansas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgmitchell

Reaction score
Greetings from Wichita, KS! I'm just getting started with pipe smoking after receiving a Viking Classic and two tins of tobacco (Ashton Consummate Gentleman and CAO Eileen's Dream) from my wife as an anniversary gift. I've smoked cigarettes (quit 8 years ago) and cigars (have a humidor on my desk). I always wanted to smoke a pipe but viewed it as an "older" man thing, but my best friend bought a couple of pipes and it prompted me to ask for my own. Looking forward to learning more about pipes and smoking from this fine group of people.

A few other things about me: married with two children, Eagle scout, runner, CCIE, music lover.

Welcome, JG! I hope you enjoy your time with your pipes, not to mention your time here

"T"

Welcome! You are really in for a treat with pipe smoking. I have used tobacco every way you can use it and I mean to tell you that no method allows the smoker to experience the variety of flavors that the pipe offers.
Is it a bit more work? Yes, but the rewards are more than a justification of the effort.
Many new smokers start with aromatics because they smell good to others in the room. I personally think that new smokers should start with Virginias, as these are the most challenging to get right, but once you master the Virginias, everything else is easy.
Good luck and good smoke!

Welcome to BoB JG - as a newb myself I've found the info and folks here to be enormously helpful.

Welcome Aboard! You will be surprised to find that there are a number of young people becoming interested in pipe smoking.

Thank you all.

SailorJack, I did notice there are many members here around my age (32 next week). It's funny how much early memories and impressions last a lifetime. The only person I really recall smoking a pipe consistently is a scout leader of mine from high school. Something about the smell of that pipe, the woods and a campfire.

jgmitchell":nlp5kpdj said:
Thank you all.

SailorJack, I did notice there are many members here around my age (32 next week). It's funny how much early memories and impressions last a lifetime. The only person I really recall smoking a pipe consistently is a scout leader of mine from high school. Something about the smell of that pipe, the woods and a campfire.

Ah...I can spot a latakia guy here!!

Welcome to the wonderful world to tobak variety...and BoB!!

hobie1dog":d2svygfz said:
welcome, and what instrument do you play?
Once upon a time I used to play guitar and still have one hidden away in the closet. Things like school, work, kids and my own personal embarrassment of not being very good caused me to stop playing.

I mostly play the radio. ;)