Just tried fvf

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i.keenum

Reaction score
So I get it in my mail my recent tad and open up fvf to smell and I think I won't like it one bit. It has a very earthy smell meaty kind of. So to be safe I rub out out and let it sit on a piece of paper over night . Well I was thoroughly surprised it the start lightest straight tobacco I have tried to date. I thoroughly enjoyed it like a fresh creasant roll. Sweat grainy cool. I really like lnf but this took the hay and natural sweet and built it ten fold. This is my first straight va, what are some more va I would like?

• Orlik Golden Slices - Readily available and really good.
  • GLP Union Square - Readily available and really good.
  • Macbaren Virginia #1- Lots of poeple dismiss McB blends, but I really like this one.
  • Hamborger Veermaster- when available, see if you can grab a tin and see what you think. This one seems to be a victim of forum hype, especially when FVF became hard two find. It is pretty tasty though, but I'd rather smoke #1 or #2 on the list any day.

• GLP Union Square
if you enjoy "hay-like" then this is your blend

• Macbaren Virginia #1
It's tasty, but I find this one oddly bitey out of the tin. Stoving it for a couple hours improves matters

My suggested VAs are dissimilar compared to FVF so I'm not sure how you'll feel about them, but I suggest:

Marlin Flake
Dark Star
Christmas Cheer
Blackwood Flake

S.G. Kendal Plug seems to hold its own against FVF, and theres times I like it more

S.G. Best Brown Flake

Boswells Virginia Slice

Peterson's Perfect Plug

Peterson's University Flake

Along with what the others said.

the Boswells Virginia Slice seems to be different sometimes, Ive had it where it was a Light yellow, like Orlik Golden slice, and I really like it, and this last order was a hair darker, and I just dont get a real sweet taste out of it, But its still good !and the price is great.

Just about ANY of the Virginia masters up in KC, McClellands. Myself, I always have these around and smoke some daily:
Matured Virginia #27 - broken flake
Virginia Woods - ribbon cut
Blackwoods Flake - broken flake
Navy Cavendish - broken flake
all are straight Virginias and they have about 14 others as well. This doesn't take in their VaPers, VaLats, or VaBurs, You could spend the next year just trying all the fantastic Virginia's these folks make! And you can GET them all on-line or in B&Ms. No "out of production" or "one tin only" like the other stuff :cheers:

Just quit while you're ahead, i.keen. I expected this thread to go into a laundry list of Virginias for you to try, so I won't even bother. :lol: Hopefully by the time the suggestions have rolled in from around the globe, you'll have no less than 100 different straight VAs to try. Take notes, godspeed, and good luck. 8)

(...also, Union Square is a delight...very lightweight in flavor, moderate Lady N, slightly floral, grassy, sweet and full of flavorful complexity...)

(...oh, and if you might want a little sweeter fare, SG's Best Brown Flake is also a total joy...)

(...aaaaand if you want to try the darker side of things, McClelland's Navy Cavendish or Dark Star might suit you...)

(...okay, so I bothered... still, good luck!)

8)

:shock: boy do I have some work to do. My B&M will get any most of mclelland or macbarren tins. So how is dark star? thanks guys for all the advice as always. :)

Some people find Dark Star to be a bit bitey, but I haven't had that problem. To me, the darker Virginias offer a mellow, toned-down VA experience, with rich, complex flavors. The stuff is wet and heavily pressed, but when rubbed out and dried a little, makes for an excellent flake smoke. I've had great luck with it.

Variable":hjq7q4pu said:
  • Hamborger Veermaster- when available, see if you can grab a tin and see what you think. This one seems to be a victim of forum hype, especially when FVF became hard two find. It is pretty tasty though, but I'd rather smoke #1 or #2 on the list any day.
HV used to be a sleeper. I bought a load of it from
MARS, while they still had it for about $35 a pound.

I'll echo Veermaster and Blackwoods Flake as being equivalent. Both OGS and Bright CR Flake are straight VA flakes and both very good but they really aren't in the same flavor category as FVF, IMHO.

i.keenum":tph9iev9 said:
:shock: boy do I have some work to do. My B&M will get any most of mclelland or macbarren tins. So how is dark star? thanks guys for all the advice as always. :)
In presentation, DS looks like beef jerky. In taste, DS is deep, dark, and slightly sweet...there's something comforting about the flavor to me.

I've not had DS bite me as Kyle mentioned. I don't know if that has anything to do with my preperation as I never rub it out completely, and sometimes just fold and stuff, so it smokes cool. The downside is that it can take some doing to get it lit.

Dave_In_Philly":tph9iev9 said:
I'll echo Veermaster and Blackwoods Flake as being equivalent. Both OGS and Bright CR Flake are straight VA flakes and both very good but they really aren't in the same flavor category as FVF, IMHO.
While I feel that BWF is outstanding, I never felt that it tasted too similar to FVF. I can't speak on HV as I've never had it.

Ian, give GH Brown Flake Unscented a try.

OGS contains some perique according to Orlik but you'd probably like it. The perique is minimal. LNF contains more perique than OGS.

Villigier After Dinner is VA with a very small amount of burley and perique. All I can taste is the VA. It's best, to me, in a small bowl as the flavor tends to dissipate about halfway into a larger bowl. It's along the lines of OGS and LNF but milder in flavor.

SG Medium Virginia Flake is another good one to try.

Astley #44 is another similar to FVF.

At the risk of sounding (possibly, being) naive, if you've found something you like, why not just smoke it instead of running around all over creation looking for other stuff that's something like it ?

Makes no sense.

:face:
NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE BUTTERFLY MENTALITY

Yak":rhmlll2d said:
At the risk of sounding (possibly, being) naive, if you've found something you like, why not just smoke it instead of running around all over creation looking for other stuff that's something like it ?

Makes no sense.

NEVER UNDERSTOOD THE BUTTERFLY MENTALITY
He was asking for some ADDITIONAL Va's he might like , not "...something like it " 'Course with a question like that he opens himself up to info overload, enough for over a couple years worth of smoking :twisted:

Revise previous for clarity :
At the risk of sounding (possibly, being) naive, if you've found something you like, why not just (get more of it and) smoke it (?)
When you met a girl you really liked, did you immediately start wondering if she had a sister ?

Same mentality.

You're right, Yak. You discover you really like ACME beer, steak and potatoes. No need to get anything else, no matter how similar or adventurous. Ever. Why didn't I think of that?

I didn't realize it was that simple. 8)

Storm_Crow":adt1kken said:
Dave_In_Philly":adt1kken said:
While I feel that BWF is outstanding, I never felt that it tasted too similar to FVF. I can't speak on HV as I've never had it.
I don't mean to say they taste the same, just that they satisfy the same itch. The best analogy I can come up with is comparing BF to FVF is like comparing Coke to Pepsi. Comparing FVF to OGS is like comparing Coke to red wine. Different ball parks each with its own merit

Kyle Weiss":xi7mvnte said:
You're right, Yak. You discover you really like ACME beer, steak and potatoes. No need to get anything else, no matter how similar or adventurous. Ever. Why didn't I think of that?

I didn't realize it was that simple. 8)
To extend Yak's simplicity, you find A blend/mix you really like and there is no need to pin-ball btwn. all the rest, just smoke THAT ONE :roll: SIMPLE :p