Justing Musing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dix Creek

Reaction score
I have read a lot of tobacco reviews and pipe reviews recently and was just wondering if it was me or do some people have a mighty big idea about their expert opinion. IDK. Having been a pipe smoker for going on 10 lustra I feel it is time to make a simple but, in my eyes, a truism. There are lot of pipe tobaccos out there some good, some bad, and some ugly!
We all have the opportunity to try them if we so desire. It would be helpful to state whether or not you like it in simple terms and not to blow smoke up everyone's arse with your knowledge of the tobacco world. Over analysis leads to paralysis as they say. Simple is better! We all know what we like, simply stating we like it and why is enough. If you think it stinks, say so! I really believe that these reviews would be better served if these simple suggestions were followed. Fellow pipers what do you think? Please be gentle, I don't know if my fragile demeanor can handle much roughness:shock: 

I think you hit the nail real hard on the head and it's going to hurt some.
Oh Well, I whole heartedly agree and commend you sir.

I knew you would understand, being a rural type Texacan!  Like us Ky. Hillbillys you guys have been known to eat a wild critter or two and not call it a big fancy name. But it still tasted dang good :mrgreen:

Dix Creek":xefnlt0y said:
I knew you would understand, being a rural type Texacan!  Like us Ky. Hillbillys you guys have been known to eat a wild critter or two and not call it a big fancy name. But it still tasted dang good:mrgreen: 
That would have been true 20 years ago my friend but, sadly nowadays there's more pointing there noses to the sky here in Texas then you want to believe.

What? No "... has notes of fine Corinthian Leather, aroma of a fine Bordaux after it's uncorked?" any more? No more references to vintage "ketchup" ? Oh man!! :twisted: :twisted: And I just got my "'bac review" APP installed on my phone !! :twisted: :twisted: 

Give us a link to a good one and a link to one you think is a waste of bandwidth. You may not care for mine, and it might be good to know how they could be better. I am always struck by the differences in taste, and it helps to have a point of reference.

The tobacco evals in the forum are usually helpful to me as I consider trying new things. Some of the ones on tobaccoreviews.com are pretty out there.

monbla256":poqj2buv said:
What? No "... has notes of fine Corinthian Leather, aroma of a fine Bordaux after it's uncorked?" any more? No more references to vintage "ketchup" ? Oh man!! :twisted: :twisted: And I just got my "'bac review" APP installed on my phone !! :twisted: :twisted: 
I bet you did :lol!: 

Dix Creek":kjqijbpi said:
Those are the ones I was making reference to!!!
The ones on tobaccoreviews.com are really all over the map. You can search by user if you find someone who writes good ones. One challenge is finding that person. We had a thread not too long ago about Pipestud's reviews, and I think his are pretty good.

The writing of tobacco reviews is as subjective and personal as the preferences in tobacco are.

This may come as a shock, but some people enjoy reading detailed reviews by folks who have in-depth experience with many different tobaccos. You can learn a lot from a well-written review by someone who knows what he's talking about.

Tobaccoreviews.com is probably the supreme example of the complete subjectivity of tobacco reviews. If you're reading the reviews there looking for actual information, your brain will melt. What you get there is opinion, and much of it is not very well informed.

Fr_Tom nailed it: The trick is finding good reviewers. Of course, therein lies the rub. What you think is good might not be what someone else thinks is good, and vice versa. But no matter; there's plenty of room for all. Find what you like and go with it, and let others do the same...even if it's different. :mrgreen: 

newjok12.png