Kaboom

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fr_Tom

Chaplain
Reaction score
Two packages arrived today.

One was from Wellpipe, and it contained two tobacco samples I have wanted to try - Solani Aged Burley Flake and Bald Headed teacher. It also included some Amphora Red which was my main smoke for a long time. It will be interesting to see how my taste buds have changed. I was very happy to see these, and after his offer, I could not find the pm I sent since my box was full. I thought it had been lost in the ether. Thanks!

The other was completely unexpected. It was from Hawker and included a BoB leather pipe pouch complete with a MM Cob and two tobacco samples Boswell's Dan's blend and Countryside. There are also some leather disks I have not yet identified. Thanks^2

I took a picture of the damage, but my phone is being difficult. Once I have access to the pic I will update the post.

You guys are the best.

Heading off to a Property and Loan meeting now, but I will get a smoke report out when I have had a chance to sample.

Tom, those leather disks are for stopping the tobacco chamber when the bowl is full of tobacco. It means you can pack a couple pipes, plug them and be off without the hassle of lugging around a tin.

Hawker sent me some when I got bombed this summer. I use a couple of them frequently. Very handy little things.

Ocelot55":680z7bc6 said:
Tom, those leather disks are for stopping the tobacco chamber when the bowl is full of tobacco. It means you can pack a couple pipes, plug them and be off without the hassle of lugging around a tin.

Hawker sent me some when I got bombed this summer. I use a couple of them frequently. Very handy little things.
This was my best guess. I will have to give these a try.

Very nice. :cheers: 

I love Solani ABF. One of the few burleys I really enjoy.

Interesting tidbit on the leather discs. I had no idea.

Fr_Tom":s0t5gk8t said:
Ocelot55":s0t5gk8t said:

Hope the pipe plugs work out for you Tom and if the variety pack of different sizes don't fit properly they can be fine tuned to fit certain pipes by rolling them on a belt or disk sander. I keep one for every pipe I have and label each one on the bottom with the blend that is smoked in that particular pipe.

Hawker":mkq4f37f said:
Fr_Tom":mkq4f37f said:
Ocelot55":mkq4f37f said:

Hope the pipe plugs work out for you Tom and if the variety pack of different sizes don't fit properly they can be fine tuned to fit certain pipes by rolling them on a belt or disk sander. I keep one for every pipe I have and label each one on the bottom with the blend that is smoked in that particular pipe.
What a great idea, Hawker!

Awesome, enjoy the smokes in rude good health Tom, nice one Hawker. :cheers: 

The Amphora Red was my goto smoke for years. I have a pipe that has probably smoked 8-10 pounds of the stuff. When I stumbled on BoB, I was smoking Granger I think and wondering if there was anything like Amphora Red out there these days.

So - I got out the pipe I had in college and fired up a bowl of Amphora Red from Wellpipe. It was a familiar smoke, and brought back a lot of memories. There is a subtle fruit flavor with a muted citrus. These days I would pay $5 a pouch if I could get it in the grocery store. It is very good stuff, and I am really glad to have had a chance to try this again.

I have other tobaccos that fill a similar niche for me these days. My palate is more diverse. I just finished bowl 4 of this sample.

Bald Headed teacher by 4noggins is one of my all time favs! I have a couple pounds of it put away. Enjoy, cheers!

Wonderfully kind Hawker. Enjoy your haul Fr_Tom. I've smoked Dan's Blend and I'm quite fond of it. I also really enjoy Countryside, it's quite mild.