Kaywoodie Filter Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canicus61

Reaction score
I got a Kaywoodie Filter Pipe with a smooth Dublin bowl, unsmoked, a few months ago. Never tried any of these contraptions before, though Falcons, Kristen's and this model always intrigued me.......and I'm a Kaywoodie fan (I remember asking my father when I was in college which is the best pipe to buy - and he answered "Kaywoodie" - that was in the 80's...)

Anyway, just tried some Nightcap, a fave of mine, and was a bit shocked at the difference in taste - not bad, mind you, though I thought a bit hot, but somehow different...

Was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen had any experience with these metal pipes - - a novelty for sure, ad I'm not parting with this one (gotta give it some time and maybe I smoked too fast before bed!) - but an difference in technique/tobacco type/rate of smoke (perhaps as slow as possible) to get the most out of these pipes?

Curious and always enjoy reading the advice and experiences shared in this forum - have the ime now to get back on here and post and read after a bit of an hiatus - best to all and happy puffing!

Good to see you back. I have some experience with metal-bodied pipes like Falcon, the Airograte, the Kirsten and the Viking. I like them and find them to be good smokers.

Thanks Fr Tom! Happy to be prowling around on here again.....

Have to give this Kaywoodie another chance! May have been too rushed.......I don't know that pipes like these (metal with interchangeable bowls) don't seem to be manufactured anymore - mine is from the early 60's I'm told.....

More to come - hope you are well, and God+Bless!

K

Canicus61":s5pkdr04 said:
Thanks Fr Tom! Happy to be prowling around on here again.....

Have to give this Kaywoodie another chance! May have been too rushed.......I don't know that pipes like these (metal with interchangeable bowls) don't seem to be manufactured anymore - mine is from the early 60's I'm told.....

More to come - hope you are well, and God+Bless!

K
You can still get new Falcons.

All is well here. I have often thought of you and wondered how things were going.

al - you are right! no clay filter! Guess I'll have to get a falcon and try that one day - - - or find a clay filter somehow......anyway, this old kaywoodie makes a good conversation piece in the rack......

those clay filters are hardto come by. you might try a piece of cotton ball in there. I have a bent falcon I' mgoing to sell one of these days if you areinterested. Falcon makes filters for their metal pipes but Idon't know how available they are. Good luck. Al

alsmith52":943w4bhi said:
those clay filters are hardto come by. you might try a piece of cotton ball in there. I have a bent falcon I' mgoing to sell one of these days if you areinterested. Falcon makes filters for their metal pipes but Idon't know how available they are. Good luck. Al
I think the Internationals take a paper filter like a Medico. The older style Falcons can use a "Dry Ring." Someone gave me a pack of these with the used Falcon I bought from him. I have used them but don't any more. They are easy to make by wrapping a pipe cleaner around a pencil and cutting pencil diameter rings.

I've just received a new, handmade Kaywoodie billiard. One of 19 made by Bill personally.