Kaywoodie modification

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesan

Reaction score
This may be very old news to some, but thought I would post it anyhow.

Early on in my pipe smoking I acquired a couple of Kaywoodie pipes.  I never really liked the way they smoked and mentioned this to my local tobacconist.  He recommended that I have them modified by his pipe repair person.  The modification involved removing all of the metal hardware from the bit and shank, attaching a delrin tennon and boring out the shank to receive the new tenon.  I tried it first on one pipe and liked the results so well that I modified all of my Kaywoodies.  It completely eliminates condensation in the shank and bit and the pipes smoked much better overall.  They are now among my favorite small pipes, the oldest of which dates back to 1949.  I would recommend this to anyone whose Kaywoodie smokes wet. It also eliminates the problem of feeding a pipe-cleaner all the way.

Sounds reasonable to me if you're interested in doing it but I wonder if some Kaywoodie collectors would consider it blasphemy.

Mike,

I've experimented with lopping off the aluminum internals right in front of the threads with a dremel tool. The modification still allowed a perfect stem to shank fit, but the pipe still gurgled.

I even tried working on the aluminum draft hole with a needle file, but the problem is that the draft hole is just too small, which is the culprit in causing the condensation.

This modification you are referring to, is probably the only logical alternative. I wouldn't mind doing it with a smoked Kaywoodie, but an unsmoked model I would just as soon leave in pristine condition.

I have heard their new models are being manufactured without the aluminum plumbing, but I'll bet the briar in the newer pipes won't compare to the 40 year plus vintage models.

Since I'm a pipe smoker and definitely not a pipe collector, I have no qualms about making this modification. :)

mikesan":mllk9hcm said:
Since I'm a pipe smoker and definitely not a pipe collector, I have no qualms about making this modification.  :)
Mike, I'm the same way when it comes to aged tobacco. If I get my hands on it, I'm going to smoke it, knowing that I am doing my part to increase the value of the tobacco's that collectors are accumulating in their collections. ;)

tslots":f0k57ale said:
How much did you pay to have the mods done?  
Sorry to be so late in getting back to you.
To answer your question, honestly I don't remember. I had this work done in the early '70s when a few bucks bought a bit more than today. Based on other pipe repairs I have had done recently, I imagine that $25 - 30 would be a good estimate.

The very early kaywoodies had a push stem before they added the screw in bit. Personally, I have never liked the screw in with stingers. I know at one time i found someone online who advertised this procedure, but i cannot remember who it was.

alsmith52":maywovyp said:
The very early kaywoodies had a push stem before they added the screw in bit.
That must have been "really early". My first Kaywoodie was inherited from an uncle in ca. 1949, and he had smoked it for more than a few years. I still have that pipe, patched together with bailing wire and chewing gum, and it still smokes great. As note above, it has been modified.

I have two Kaywoodies I bought in the '70s, a small Dublin and a small Prince. Both look really nice, and I wanted to like them, but they are about the worst performers I've ever owned. Due to lack of use both look almost new. I'd spend a few bucks to have them usable for sure.

RobJ":dwanu58z said:
I have two Kaywoodies I bought in the '70s, a small Dublin and a small Prince. Both look really nice, and I wanted to like them, but they are about the worst performers I've ever owned. Due to lack of use both look almost new. I'd spend a few bucks to have them usable for sure.
Check with your pipe repair person. I would guess it can't cost much more than replacing a stem.

Well the discussion has been about known or specific modifications which no one who's posted so far seems to have information on.

Cost aside, I wouldn't take a Kaywoodie into a regular pipe repair shop assuming they know how to mod these pipes, I'd prefer to send them to someone who does know.

Hopefully someone will come along who remembers something about the modification.

Hi Rob

I have had this modification done to every Kaywoodie I have owned. It is really simple. First the metal ferrule in the shank has to be removed, probably by drilling it out and at the same time making a proper mortise. If I recall correctly my repair guy didn't try to salvage the stem, but simply replaced it. That does away with the Kaywoodie stem inlay. I suppose one could try to remove the metal stinger and simply add a tenon, at the risk of cracking the stem. In any case this is a modification that any competent pipe repair person could accomplish.

Thanks Mike, I didn't realize you'd had mods done yourself. I will look into it, thanks for the tip sir.

I think if you heat the stinger up you can pull / twist it out. then drill the bit for a new tenon and epoxy the tenon in. You can also transfer over the stem logo if you go for a new bit. the logos are glued in so if you can salvage the logo, drill a slightly oversize hole , fill wirh black epoxy , put it in and buff. . i have read about this- not really done it myself. Al

I have never really had problems with the threaded tenons. As i type this at the office, I am smoking a Kaywoodie carburetor pot with a 4-hole stinger.

When I broke my wrist last year I was a one-armed smoker for a while. I did not have the strength to dissemble a standard mortise/tenon pipe, but the threaded tenons were easy. I know it is considered bad form by people who know about such things to smoke multiple bowls in the same pipe without letting it cool between smokes. Having said that, I do it all the time. The threaded tenon is perfect for a quick cleaning while warm if it needs it...