Kick in the head tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HO = high octane. I should put that in the acronym list.

I haven't had JKP in quite a while. Since I've been dabbling in Warrior Plug, Brown Bogie and GH's version of Brown Pigtail, I'd be curious how it sits with me.

JKP wins in flavorville--not over anything in particular, but boy can it do tricks and change dynamically, bowl-to-bowl, day-to-day, pipe-to-pipe, and none of it is unpleasant. It's like having a little tobacco gnome dishing out delightful treats every time you ask it to.

The unscented/unflavored ropes are something I've been quite taken by lately. The depth of flavor is is epic. They're strong, deep, wild, earthy and unmistakable. They've been a blast to dabble with lately.

As you like brown so much. you might consider Black Irish X. I'm getting a decent flavor profile now, and I'd say it has two tastes and is less dynamic/complex than the brown. It is strongly dark, the darkest flavor I've tasted, far darker than Dark Flake. It also has the dreaded creosote flavor, which kept me from smoking it for years. But I find that if I don't concentrate on that flavor and keep telling myself how much I hate it, I can tune it out and concentrate on the rest, which I very much enjoy.

I've only smoked a bit of SG Black XX. What I smoked tasted more sweet and savory than the GH. But this was only an inch and a long time ago.

We'll see where the HO adventure takes me...hopefully not chundering my guts over the side of the balcony wall. :lol: :drunken:

Meanwhile, I updated the blasted acronym list. Forgot to mention that yesterday.

8)

Hey Rev! I want to suggest Five Brothers also. Inexpensive and strong enough to make one consider changin' their religion.

Sadly, I will likely be of little help given all that has been mentioned already. Most of which I haven't had the pleasure of trying. Of those I have experienced, Epiphany is my go to for the Nic hit. I've been a bit distracted and just savoring it when before I knew it, I was a bit swimmy headed from the vitamin N. judging just from reviews etc that I've come across, it would seem that Royal Yacht is right up your alley. Will let you know firsthand once I've dug in to a tin.

Cotton Boll twist. Comes waaay too dry so I hydrate it with either dark rum or scotch. Noticably stronger than the Kendal Twists, Brown Irish/Bogie/Pigtail, 1792/Cob, Dark Plug/Flake, Irish Flake IMHO.

Second the Picayune as well. Another one that comes very dry and tastes better to me when hydrated with a little brandy. A very full smoke indeed.

Or you can simply cut to the chase and get some Nicotiana rustica bundles.

http://visionaryherbs.com/nicotiana_rustica_tobacco_bundles.htm

Slartibartfast":nu174k56 said:
Cotton Boll twist. Comes waaay too dry so I hydrate it with either dark rum or scotch. Noticably stronger than the Kendal Twists, Brown Irish/Bogie/Pigtail, 1792/Cob, Dark Plug/Flake, Irish Flake IMHO.
I agree. Very strong tobacco.

Well I have grown to enjoy the G&H dark brown flake very much. It is my go to smoke when I have time to enjoy it. I do have a problem maybe you can help me with. I try to use the fold and stuff method sometimes... and I cant keep it lit to save my life. Could this be because my usual pipe is small with a sharper Danish profile tobacco chamber? Or is this a more advanced way to pack the bowl? When I rub it out really good and let it dry a bit its easier, but I would like to smoke it the way its meant to be smoked. If it is my pipe should I consider getting a "flake pipe" From what I gather a pot, or bulldog variation is the preferred style?

I tend to smoke the Dunhill early morning in the morning, and have some Latakia or aromatics for variety, but my favorite is the strong, big flavor of the darker stuff.

thanks again, you guys are so helpful

rev

The only two that ever avalanched me were pressed Billy Budd (custom order) & Laurel Heights (makes no earthly sense, either).

:face:

the rev":2q2n2cs2 said:
Well I have grown to enjoy the G&H dark brown flake very much. It is my go to smoke when I have time to enjoy it. I do have a problem maybe you can help me with. I try to use the fold and stuff method sometimes... and I cant keep it lit to save my life. Could this be because my usual pipe is small with a sharper Danish profile tobacco chamber? Or is this a more advanced way to pack the bowl? When I rub it out really good and let it dry a bit its easier, but I would like to smoke it the way its meant to be smoked. If it is my pipe should I consider getting a "flake pipe" From what I gather a pot, or bulldog variation is the preferred style?

I tend to smoke the Dunhill early morning in the morning, and have some Latakia or aromatics for variety, but my favorite is the strong, big flavor of the darker stuff.

rev
How is it meant to be smoked?
That's the real fly in the ointment.
No where have I ever read in old literature that flake tobacco was folded and stuffed in the olden days (50+ years ago).
In all the old British literature, prose and poetry, there is no mention of the fold and stuff method of smoking flakes.
Twists were sliced and rubbed, plugs were shaved and the slivers packed into the pipe, flakes were rubbed out.
That's according to old literature.
Even the older Brits I have talked to tell me that they remember their fathers and grand fathers and the shepherds rubbing
out their flakes, slicing their twist and stuffing it into their bowls and shaving their plugs.

Now, MacBaren says fold and stuff. McClelland says to rub out. Both are talking about their respective flake tobaccos.

Thin sliced flakes I fold and stuff. Sometimes. Thick sliced flakes I break into a broken flake for outdoors and rub it out finely for indoor smoking.

So, how was it meant to be smoked and, furthermore, how do we know?
I'll stick by what works for me but I seriously doubt that flakes were folded and stuffed, otherwise why the total omission of it in old literature?
That was merely the best way to store and transport tobacco at the time. Still is.

AMANITA MUSCARIA MUSHROOM CAPS
( Fly agaric )
Grown and harvested in August from Finland. Not completely dry.

The amanita or Fly agaric mushrooms are most abundant in Finland. Some people call them Fly agaric mushrooms but they are more commonly known as Amanita muscaria. They grow all over the place in Finland. The best harvest time is August.

The amanita family can be poisonous.
A seller can not look at every cap and identify it exactly. These are not sold for human consumtion. A poisonous non consumable.
from Visionaryherbs.com

Poisonous? Yikes? As far as I know the Amanita is a hallucinogen; this says that it can be poisonous.

rev,

I do this:

http://brothersofbriar.forumotion.com/t15680-packing-flake?highlight=flake

but now rub it out to the extent that the matchsticks are reduced to 3 or 4 pieces, vertically. So the flakes are still matchsticks but they are no longer in one but 3 or 4 pieces. If the tide is turned back toward intact matchsticks, or anything larger, like fold and stuff, I have a ton of relights.

You are trying to preserve the flake as much as possible for a longer burn, but the flake is brought down to pieces that will burn. The same holds true for plug.

I think it is a dream that more or less intact flake can be enjoyably smoked. Lighting over and again burns my mouth. Believe me, I've pursued that dream vigorously, but it just doesn't work for me.

williamcharles":7y7bhutm said:
the rev":7y7bhutm said:

rev
How is it meant to be smoked?
That's the real fly in the ointment.
No where have I ever read in old literature that flake tobacco was folded and stuffed in the olden days (50+ years ago).
In all the old British literature, prose and poetry, there is no mention of the fold and stuff method of smoking flakes.
Twists were sliced and rubbed, plugs were shaved and the slivers packed into the pipe, flakes were rubbed out.
That's according to old literature.
Even the older Brits I have talked to tell me that they remember their fathers and grand fathers and the shepherds rubbing
out their flakes, slicing their twist and stuffing it into their bowls and shaving their plugs.

Now, MacBaren says fold and stuff. McClelland says to rub out. Both are talking about their respective flake tobaccos.

Thin sliced flakes I fold and stuff. Sometimes. Thick sliced flakes I break into a broken flake for outdoors and rub it out finely for indoor smoking.

So, how was it meant to be smoked and, furthermore, how do we know?
I'll stick by what works for me but I seriously doubt that flakes were folded and stuffed, otherwise why the total omission of it in old literature?
That was merely the best way to store and transport tobacco at the time. Still is.
thanks that was quite informational

rev

jthanks