Kindle vs Nook

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nook. I have 1st gen bw nook. My tech has a kindle. I like the fact that I can sideload (xfr files) into the nook. For instance ANY pdf can be loaded in,as well as other file types. And that's with the 1st generation nook. Maybe the kindles are more open now. The new nooks I hear are better. One thing to consider is purchasing a cheap tablet and using the nook and kindle apps. They (the apps) both work very well. - John

It depends on what you want it for. If you're going to use it for black and white books then the kindle is probably the way to go, it has crazy battery life and how they simulate printed paper makes it very easy on the eyes. If you want color magazines and what not a color nook would be the way to go since it's basically a tablet.

Rumor has it that Amazon is coming out with 'something big' in sept/oct. Supposedly a iPad killer, etc etc

I have a Kindle. I like it. It has the ability to load your pdf's etc
The Nook Color is cool, especially if you hack a better version of Android onto it

I advise against the 'cheap tablet'. It's 100% a bad idea. However if you want to go that route I have an Archos 7 I'll entertain offers on. Lol.

If I were buying it to read alot I would buy the Kindle. If I wanted something for reading + I would save some extra coin and buy a (am I really saying this? ) iPad.

Cathy has both a Kindle2 and a Nook Color. The Kindle needs a light to read it at night. The Nook color is backlit like a monitor. The Kindle is easy to download from Amazon. But to get her eHarlequin books, they are done on the Nook since the Kindle is a closed format with protected DRM files. The Kindle is a little lighter in weight. For surfing the net and playing around on Facebook etc, the Nook Color stomps the Kindle. Since I don't use either, my opinions are from only a few minutes use figuring out how to do something she needs done. Cathy likes both.

puros_bran --

That is a great article and review! Thanks for posting. Also read some articles about Amazon's rumored tablet and, supposedly, a lower price on the Kindle later this year (I guess, in time for Christmas).

Wife and I both have Kindles. For books and other written content they are great, the e-ink is very easy on the eyes. I use an app called Calibre to manage my content and convert non-kindle content to the necessary formats, it will even do a reasonable job of converting standard pdf's into mobi format which makes them nicer to read on the kindle.

We bought the 3g version which makes downloading from Amazon pretty much transparent. Plus, it gives you a free-for life (at least of the device) 3g internet access that works world-wide.

If I wanted more than what the Kindle offers then I would probably buy the iPad.

@puros_bran

Surprised to hear your not happy with your Archos. I have the Archos 101 and find a fine machine. Everybody in the house uses it. No issues here. Admittedly not power users, it gets used daily as an ereader, (both nook and kindle), web browsing, and multimedia use, including ripping most of my dvd collection and keeping a couple of movies on board when we travel. Even been dropped on hard wood floors more then once (ouch), but took the beatings in stride. Anyway your milage may vary.... - John