Kingfisher Question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnrust

Reaction score
For those of you who cellar this tobacco, how does it hold up over the years in its original tin? I ask because today I cracked the seal on a tin from the last release, dated June'11. While the seal was still intact, there was a LOT of rust on the inside of the tin. That much rust on a tin only 9 month old got me thinking that after a few years, the tins might rust thru. And I live in an extremely dry climate. Of course, the mosture is on the inside. For those of you who have cellared it for year, do I need to be concerned? I was thinking I might have to drop the tins in mason jars if they are prone to rust-thru. Please advise.

Thanks,
RD

Kingfisher is a pretty wet tobacco, for sure. I have tins that are over a year old with no signs of rust. I also have a 2000 tin that I hope is OK. I too live in a dry climate. Think it might be a bit of a crap shoot with regard to rust. Nine months is pretty quick though.

Extreme and sudden temperature changes might separate and make condense the moisture on the inside of a tin, so as long as it's in a place that's safe from such events, I'm sure you'll be okay. Luckily Nevada's quite the arid land, but... then again, our bacca has to watch out not to get too dry... :)

MisterE":2a48uvx6 said:
The Butera square tins have a pretty bad reputation for losing their seal.
Are these the same one's used by Esoterica/Germains?

That's good to know, if it's true. I'm a Penzance fan and plan on having a few of those tins around.

fishnrust":h0jws4uf said:
Harlock999":h0jws4uf said:
MisterE":h0jws4uf said:
The Butera square tins have a pretty bad reputation for losing their seal.
Are these the same one's used by Esoterica/Germains?
Yes, I believe.
Would be interested to hear if this is a common issue. I have a few tins that I might just have to jar to be on the safe side....

I think its their tins...i popped open one a few months ago and put the tin in a mason jar. I recently opened it and the edges on the inside was rusted.

Since we're talking Butera and I've been into Lats again, I got curious and popped 3 year old tin of Pelican. No rust and seal perfectly in tact I'm happy to report . Let's see what happens after a few days open.