Kiseru? anyone heard of it or own one?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello,
i am here to discuss a pipe that i am looking for and i want to know more about it. The pipe in question is a kiseru, a japanese one hitter used for tobacco. Can anyone tell me if they have one for trade or if they sell one? I am also looking for glass pipes? Does anyone own one?

I have a kiseru that a friend brought me from Japan, as part of my ongoing attempt to acquire one of every type of pipe out there. P&T magazine did a great article on them some years back, with their full story and lots of info. The basic is, you buy the fine-mesh kiseru tobacco, roll it into a tight ball in your fingers, then light it and puff 2 or 3 times and it's gone. The craftsmanship of the things is often really striking, though the tiny smoking time means I rarely use it. You can probably find many for sale online with a bit of googling.

TreverT":h2andsdx said:
I have a kiseru that a friend brought me from Japan, as part of my ongoing attempt to acquire one of every type of pipe out there. P&T magazine did a great article on them some years back, with their full story and lots of info. The basic is, you buy the fine-mesh kiseru tobacco, roll it into a tight ball in your fingers, then light it and puff 2 or 3 times and it's gone. The craftsmanship of the things is often really striking, though the tiny smoking time means I rarely use it. You can probably find many for sale online with a bit of googling.
If you run into a roadblock finding yourself a kiseru, it sounds very similar to the Persian midwakh (one hitter for smoking dhokla tobacco), which I've seen both in B&M's (granted, those geared more towards the "head" crowd than the "leaf" crowd) or through the net. Also spelled medwakh in some parts of the Middle-East if midwakh doesn't give you solid returns.