knife acquired disorder

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitobi

Reaction score
hey all

I haven't owned a penknife or any kind of knife since leaving the army, so I have been looking about for a half decent EDC knife that would be multi purpose but not so flimsy that it would be near useless like some multi tools can be.

I have just had a knife delivered that astounded me that it was a UK legal carry, the Sections 139 and 139A of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 apply to any article which has a blade or point except a folding pocketknife unless the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 7.62 centimetres (3 inches).  so I needed a Sub 3" knife that was non locking, and my search has been answered by a designer supplying just this Niche in the market

its a Lansky world legal slip joint knife, its a beast of a knife and quite heavy in the hand, one I'm certainly not going to break in a hurry, out of the packet its reasonably sharp, but as it came with a lansky sharpening system as part of a multi buy deal its now near razor sharp ( strop and compound still in the post) and when my strop gets delivered ill add a better edge that one I can achieve now.

all in all very happy

pics to follow, and I have just realised how much I need to clean my mouse mat lol!!!!

Y'all have insane laws Bro... I'd love to visit someday but no chance of me staying...well, that's not true, as much as I like the accent I'm sure some she or another could persuade me to hang out a while... Lol.

Lansky is a quality product. I like the beefiness of that particular model. Being truthful there's very few instances where I've needed a bigger knife. 2.75 inches is a good size for general usage.

Looks as though it will do the job quite well. My understanding about the three inch rule, even here in the U.S., is that it covers your ass almost anywhere in the event of your being arrested for something else, and then additionally charged with carrying a concealed weapon. The national and state laws are not that onerous, but some local jurisdictions, i.e. cities, are much more restrictive. It is difficult to find knife carry laws spelled out anywhere, especially locally, so three inches is probably safe. What I don't understand, among other things, is why someone with a concealed carry license for riding heavy here in New York can't carry an "illegal" knife. Ooh!...you can be trusted with a gun but not a knife, you bad boy! Do I and other young studs such as myself carry "illegal" knives? You betcha--but not when doing other things, if you get my drift. CYA, I say.

in the UK the 3 inch or 7.62 cm is actually written in law, the bit I posted is a direct copy/paste from the offensive weapons act in the UK.
I guess using a firearm is pretty overt and people are going to know its happened, whereas a knife kills quickly and silently especially if your trained in how to use one so much more covert and harder to detect which is why they are more strict, and this one set me back just £14, so most people can afford one, much more than your average firearm, so public saturation of knives will always be higher due to availability and price.

I used to be a licenced firearms holder here in the uk until 1997 and the public outcry from dunblane etc stopped all legal ownership.
cest la vie

obviously just been shopping in the local supermarket and I didn't take it, even tho its a EDC you still have to be a little sensible, next time I'm walking the dog through the woods or on the moors its certainly going in the pocket tho.

plus anytime I get plug tobacco I know I'm good to go :)

yeah they do, or they hope someone trying to stab someone with a non locking knife will do so, and either stop them from committing that crime or leave evidence behind..

the spring on this is brutal, no way ever its closing on me, heck I can only just close it with 2 hands

Hermit, the entirety of the UK basically has NYC Laws. It's wild. You know how we say "Are you going to ban knifes when someone gets stabbed?"... The answer is yes. We had drivers getting arrested for carrying lockbacks, kind of vital when hauling horses. The cops said they should have been carried off body,in a compartment not connected to the cab of the truck, so as to be not easily accessible if the driver got angry. Effed up.

I've a UK mate lives up Rotherham way, and he was out walking his dogs in the nearby wooded area. Some young bloke who was also exercising his dogs with his bird started shouting abuse at my mate over some perceived transgression, and then knocked my mates cigar out of his hands as if to start a fight.

The younger bloke apparently was quite large, and my mate was in his early 60's at the time, had gammy knees, and walked with a stick. Yet he came up as a coal miner and was tough as nails, even though his body was knackered.

My mate had a Kershaw folding knife in his pocket which he obtained during one of his holidays to the states. It was just what he carried as his pocket knife and he never dreamed of having to use it for personal protection. I don't know the length of the blade but it was very probably longer than 3".

So, faced with a beatdown from a much larger and now out of control younger man my mate did the only thing he could - he pulled the Kershaw and told the bloke if he wanted to fight then get it on!

Bloke suddenly had a change of heart and retreated post haste, along with his bird and dogs. My mate hurried home and put the Kershaw in his drawer, never to be carried again as he knew he'd get done for this if the bloke reported it.

That didn't happen fortunately, and my mate saw the couple and their dogs walking in the woods on several occasions after that but they avoided each other.

Moral of story, don't eff with an old coal miner!

Cheers,

RR

I picked up Baker folding lock knife. Holds a killer edge with vg-10 steel. Carbon fiber handle makes extremely lightweight.

Congrats on the Lasky! I use their sharpening system with much success.