Knife for plugs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idbowman

Reaction score
So I've taken a fancy to plugs lately and need to get a handy little knife to dedicate to the job. I guess I should point out that:

1. I'm not ordinarily a knife guy. Not necessarily looking for anything collectible or altogether special
2. As such, the knife would be dedicated to cutting plugs, twists, etc. It wouldn't see daily use, but would need be functional and reliable
3. While I'm not looking to spend a truck-load of cash here, I'd like to avoid going el cheap-o. As with most things regarding the tobacco-hobby, I'm inclined towards quality and reliability at a not-exorbitant price.

Having NO clue where to even start looking, I thought I'd toss this out there and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Not for not, I recently picked up a Northwoods from KSF:

www.knivesshipfree.com/northwoods-knives/

It's a bone handled Hawthorne, and even though it's got a wharncliffe shaped blade (not great for plugs or flake), the quality is there, AFAICT.

I've come to the conclusion that a jack is a great plug knife, and easy on the pocket to carry.

And classy.

They are made by Great Eastern Cutlery, also nice knives, AFAICT. Queen and Case are others.

Not sure what your price range is though. $75 - $100 for a top quality US made knife is reasonable *to me*.

an opinel makes a good plug knife.  They are super cheap too. Make sure to get the carbon steel blade, not stainless.
opinel knives

I forgot to mention that they are RAZOR sharp and under $20 for most blades. I have the Opinel No. 8 and love it. A brother sent it to me in a bombing.

I always forget about Opinels. Razor sharp think blades that last.

+1 on them for sure, though I like the classic, heavy feeling slip-joint.

No experience, to speak of--but I should think something like this would be more effective than a knife.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1860-HAND-FORGED-TOBACCO-CUTTER-GRINDER-GUILLOTINE-WOODSTAND-DECORATIVE-/331502165209

cutter10.jpg
" />

RB, that's PERFECT!!!  It'll suit just fine for plugs, and can double as a torture device when the neighbor's children keep kicking that DAMN BALL INTO MY POOL.   :cheers:

Those Northwoods pipes sure are purty, but those Opinels for <$25? Now THAT'S something.

idbowman":0aitw2st said:
RB, that's PERFECT!!!  It'll suit just fine for plugs, and can double as a torture device when the neighbor's children keep kicking that DAMN BALL INTO MY POOL.   :cheers:
Just smoke the plug upwind. That'll learn 'em.

The Opinel looks to be an excelent choice!! I had one for years and it held a edge forever and really there was nothing much it would NOT cut !! Lost it on a fishing trip about 10 years ago and just have not replaced it as My yellow Delrin handled Case twin blade pocket knife has handled everything since !! When I do smoke a plug, which is not often as they are just TOO MUCH hastle for me, I use my trusty Case and have no problems. really ANY large folding blade knife with a CARBON STEEL blade would probably work well. Carbon steel blades are easier to sharpen though they will eventually stain with use and not look as "pretty" as a SS blade but I buy a knife to USE not look at !! :twisted: :twisted:

Another vote for an Opinel. superb knives. I've had one since my early teens. Also check the range provided by Victorinox, a high quality folding pocket knife.

I don't  have a "budget," necessarily.  I have no problem spending money for something of quality if it's going to get a lot of use.

In this case, though, this is something that would only be used for cutting plug tobacco - so it's probably a "use it regularly for a few weeks at a time, then it sits unused for a month or more until the plug bug bites me again" type of thing.  Nothing ornate or showy necessary - the only one to see it will be me (and potentially the friendly ghost that I'm pretty sure haunts my basement).  

So far, the Opinels and Moraknivs both look like they'd fit the bill and are much easier on the wallet than I expected.  Still, if you've got a pricier suggestion, I'm open to anything!

Edit: I don't think it does, but if the above reads as "No limits! I'm so loaded I can throw wads of cash at whatever I want!" it shouldn't. Disposable income is far from unlimited...it's just that I'm open to any and all suggestions before weighing the options and settling on a purchase.

Fair enough...I have an opinel, and I've had other folders...

I don't really like folders. I like fixed blade knives. My everyday pocket knife is one of two knives, carried in my front pocket in a pocket sheath:

- Koster Knives Scout http://www.knivesshipfree.com/koster-knives/dan-koster-knives-scout-3v-red-g-10-pocono-sheath-brown/

- JK Knives Mini Appalachia from RGrizzle Leather (holster maker) http://www.rgrizzleleather.com/handmade-knives.html

I simply find that most folders are sturdy enough for my liking, not that I'm even doing all that much with them all the time. But my brother carries high end Benchmades and SOG's, etc. and I just don't like folders.

If all you want is something functional that you would leave in the basement, just grab an extra kitchen knife. :lol!:

If you win the lottery or find a Picasso in your attic, you could go on the high end with a Laguiole pipe tool. They run about 160.00 from the manufacturer. Of course, if it falls off the fantail of your yacht...

bourrepipeambiance2_zps0h7hqwcm.jpg
[/url][/img]

I just purchased from flea bay an antique McMillan tobacco cutter for $70 Aussie. After spending yesterday arvo cleaning and oiling it, I chopped an oz of Gaslight in about three minutes and another minute to rub it out.

I seem to get a much better result with the cutter than with a sharp blade, more thin ribbon than thick. I'm hoping for a better smoke from it as I've struggled through recent bowls of Gaslight being a bit heavy and monotone.

Cheers

Tim

You can pop this baby open, reverse the blade, and carry it in a coin pocket. Works perfectly for preparing a little JackKnife plug or Triple Play.

Chiming in for the McMillan tobacco slicer here after a trial bowl or three, it does a fine job of the task at hand. I'm getting far more flavour from my Gaslight than when I was slicing it with a knife.

Cheers,

Tim