Knife for plugs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with Dutch. If you just want something to cut plugs and ropes, get some sort of razor blade holding thing, box cutter, etc.

Somehow I missed this thread but if I needed another Plug  Knife I would have my friend Blackhorse make me another one just like the one he made for me a couple of years ago. Fine craftsmanship and strong durable materials. I think it looks mighty good too. The best thing about it is that it works and so far I haven't had to resharpen it. :)

AJ

Ozark Wizard":8wl3i2p0 said:
P&C had a free knife for orders over 75 bucks a while back, so I got one. It's black, folds, sharper the an eagle's eye, and cuts plugs and ropes with ease.

20 bucks usually...

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/miscellaneous/79207/rockwell-188-knife-black/#p-130183

Guess they are out of stock today, but they come ad go....

Got one of these on some deal way back when. Nice knife, but can't say I like the way one has to unlock it from the open position. No fingers will do and you have to use a screwdriver or some such to push in the locking mechanism.

Oh well, it was free!

Cheers,

RR

Thanks AJ.

Just got a new Northwoods from KSF too. Mine is the single blade Barlow. Blade is CPM154 steel. A bro here PM'd me with a question about the knife and I liked it so much I bought one too. I'll argue that a Warncliff or Sheepsfoot are excellent blade shapes for cutting Plug. Made to cut flat on a board.

The Mora suggestion is also right on. Excellent blades for very low cost. Good stuff.

Here's the Barlow...blade is 3 1/2". Very slim overall. Comes with a sweet pocket slip.:

Barlow_Saw_Cut_8606__79350.1443727722.1280.1280.jpg

Blackhorse":2679hln8 said:
Thanks AJ.

Just got a new Northwoods from KSF too. Mine is the single blade Barlow. Blade is CPM154 steel. A bro here PM'd me with a question about the knife and I liked it so much I bought one too. I'll argue that a Warncliff or Sheepsfoot are excellent blade shapes for cutting Plug. Made to cut flat on a board.

The Mora suggestion is also right on. Excellent blades for very low cost. Good stuff.

Here's the Barlow...blade is 3 1/2". Very slim overall. Comes with a sweet pocket slip.:

It is the perfect plug knife. Slice, shave, cube, or whatever it does a great job. The pocket slip makes it ideal for carrying. :)

AJ

So the gist of this thread is that the best knife for plugs is a knife!  :lol:

Here's my suggestion: How about a small chef's knife, for the exact reason that it's used for food? Is a tobacco plug that much different from a leftover steak that needs to be chopped or sliced for stir-fry or whatever?

(And a tip o' the hat to Timbo above, who seems to have grasped the usefulness of a tool actually designed for the purpose. Fancy that.)

Hmmm. You know, Plug is a very dense material that leads heavy residue on the blade. To me a chef's knife with it's extreme width has the issue of getting gummed up quickly and performing less and less well. A narrow blade that's flexible doesn't work well as it needs greater stiffness. I think short, thin, razor sharp blade with a good spine for stiffness is ideal. Some of the More laminated whittling blades are very good. The Northwoods Single Blade Barlow Sheepsfoot is ideal as it's got the chopping shape, is quite thin for it's size (for slicing) and is likely to be around when needed as it rides with you in your pocket at all times. But by all means if you have a certain thing you like and are well practiced with, use it. After all, better to use a broken bottle than not smoke.

Mostly I just use some ordinary kitchen knife about 7" long. Dunno what material the blade is made of, but it's not stainless. Carbon maybe. I sharpen it when it needs it and gets the job done OK.

Got a cool Rockwell folding knife with some purchase a while back but haven't used it yet. Looks nice, but it locks when unfolding it. And getting the lock unlocked is kind of a PITA. Gotta use a screwdriver. Don't care for the design. Hence I don't use it. Nice enough otherwise.

Ya I'm pretty basic. <shrug>

Cheers,

RR

I use my Opinel No.8

ADDED: Well, I see the Opinel was already discussed on page 1. Glad to see my brothers agree on the merits of Opinel. They are a great little knife.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, watching X-Files and trying to stay awake.........

I recently got an 80ga cigar cutter. Works great on plugs and ropes...............

It was ten bucks

I'm particularly fond of the hawbaker knife pattern. The sheepcliffe blade is very good for detail cutting such as articles or ads out of a newspaper or magazine and the clip blade would be your slicer for the plugs.

And contrary to other posters, I would recommend the stainless steel used in both these knives. It's 420 HC (high carbon) stainless steel which is easy to sharpen, takes a keen edge and you don't have to worry about an all carbon steel blade staining or rusting.

Plus, the oils you might use to keep the carbon steel from rusting might not taste good with the tobacco you'd be cutting with it.

Both are Schatt & Morgan knives. Each costs $85 and both ship for free from the following web links:

http://www.schattandmorgan.com/store/p161/S-20_%23042149_Straight_Moose.html

https://www.knivesshipfree.com/schatt-morgan-keystone-series-cattle-king-walnut/

Hope this helps.

TLA

I use an Opinel knife. Very simple looking knife, very affordable and very useful with plugs.

Yeah...I don't collect knives, per se, but sometimes one just calls out. It's like my recent binge with axes. I kind of discovered the Husqvarna line of Swedish forged steel axes and had a major episode of AAD. They do a 15" hatchet, a sweet Carpenter's Axe and  26" Multipurpose equivalent to a Scandinavian Forest Axe. Steel is high carbon tempered to a Rockwell of about 57-58. Handles are straight grain American Hickory. The thing is they have minimal hand finishing done...butvare 1/3 the cost of their Gransfors Bruks equivalent. So you pay $60 instead of $170. I also picked up one of what I'm guessing is one of the few remaining Wetterlings Foresters Fine Axes. Not an easy item to find. The Husqvarna axes are made by either Wetterlings or Hultifors (where they have been making axes continuously since the 1600's!).

Anyway, re the plug Cutter issue, my current favorite is pictured below. A brother here drew my attention to it with a question and I fell in love...had to have it...bought it. It's CPM154 and comes super sharp. Very sweet item. It rides my right pocket every day. It's very slim in profile and does an exceptional job.