Know anything about Niemeyer Macedonian OPENED THE TIN!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cigarstorejay

Reaction score
Found this still vacuum sealed. Was in a box of old pipes. It is a self described" exotic eastern blend"

Made by a Theodorus Neimeyer.

Thanks
Jay

Ooo...a mystery blend, neat-o!

Never heard of it and I don't see it on Tobaccoreviews.com, although some of that blender's other stuff is on there.

If you want, you can send it to me and I'll smoke it all and tell you all about it afterwards :lol: :cheers:

It's rather telling that the first result that pops up in Goggle is this very thread.

Frost":kiepaqoc said:
Ooo...a mystery blend, neat-o!

Never heard of it and I don't see it on Tobaccoreviews.com, although some of that blender's other stuff is on there.

If you want, you can send it to me and I'll smoke it all and tell you all about it afterwards :lol: :cheers:
I know. It is kind of neat. I think it is fairly old because of the description on the container.

"Tangy Zestful (zestful!) tobaccos from both the West and the Mysterious east are combined by Niemeyers' ancient blending skills to bring you this exotic blend...so richly aromatic, so completely satisfying, so smoothly mild.

Just as ancient Macedonia united the best from the Eastern and WEstern worlds, so does Niemeyers' blending and curing skills wed the finest exotic tobaccos from the world over in this delicious mixture."

What a great description. I was laughing with my friend saying it is either going to be real bad or "zestfully" good. I am currently debating about opening it or just leaving it for the next generation to discover.

KevinP":g53omnt5 said:
It's rather telling that the first result that pops up in Goggle is this very thread.
Yep. I agree. Like I said, it has been aging nicely in a box since God knows when. 19 years since the trademark expired. A truly mysterious tin of tobacco.

If I were you, I'd crack it open but only when I found out more--not because I'd need to know more before I smoked it but just to have some goal to reach rather than shrugging my shoulders and opening it unceremoniously.

In a way, though, I hope it's not good. If it turns out to be the best tobacco you've ever had, you'll have a worse problem than you do now. :)

BTW, I don't have it, but that Ascorti TB 75th is one nice looking pipe.

KevinP":h9hwc1nk said:
If I were you, I'd crack it open but only when I found out more--not because I'd need to know more before I smoked it but just to have some goal to reach rather than shrugging my shoulders and opening it unceremoniously.

In a way, though, I hope it's not good. If it turns out to be the best tobacco you've ever had, you'll have a worse problem than you do now. :)

BTW, I don't have it, but that Ascorti TB 75th is one nice looking pipe.
It could be a catch 22. I am thinking of opening up some way to pass it around between the brothers here on BOB. Maybe mail it around and have others forward it to the next guy until it is all gone. Set up a list or something. Could be kind of fun. Plus its always nice to receive packages in the mail containing tobacco.

:lol:

Theodorus Niemeyer is a Dutch company; SAIL mixtures are their most famous line. Whatever it is, it's likely to be lightweight, being a Dutch tobacco.

Smoke it and tell us how you found it! What's the use of standing around guessing?

Eulenburg":2s1ckpb2 said:
Theodorus Niemeyer is a Dutch company; SAIL mixtures are their most famous line. Whatever it is, it's likely to be lightweight, being a Dutch tobacco.

Smoke it and tell us how you found it! What's the use of standing around guessing?
So I finally got around to cracking open the 30 plus year old tin of mystery tobacco. A bunch of pipe smoking friends were sitting around and the time was right.

It was just right as far as dryness goes. not too wet or (surprisingly!) not dust. The first note to hit my nose was... Latakia. It had a healthy smokey scent. I am definitely not a Latakia lover (or liker). So I was immediately bummed a bit. It lit wonderfully and burned really well. The Latakia was as smooth a latakia as I have ever smoked. It had an almost incense smell to it. I'd imagine this was the exotic note that the tin described. I have to say that, having never smoked 30 plus year old tobacco, this was very smooth. Certainly more than I expected. I thought the whole thing blended quite well together.

On another note, I wish there was a way to determine what the other tobaccos are in the blend. If anyone knows a way, let me know.

I would also like to offer some to any adventurous smokers. It is a very small tin, probably the last of its kind. :( I'd be happy to spread the experience around. I can offer about a bowls worth to a few interested brothers. IF you are so inclined, please feel free to PM me your address. Let me know what you think about it after you get it.

I can say that it was worth the wait. It only took 30 years of maturing for the Latakia to be enjoyable to me. :lol: I plan to put a tin of Penzance aside till I retire and hope for the best. LOL.

Jay