Knox Cigar closing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gospelman

Reaction score
Wow, I heard on the news here in Knoxville this evening that Knoxville Cigar Company is closing its store in the Old City area of Knoxville.

It wasn't that long ago that they expanded, and added a bar/grill. But they had backed off tobacco sales, concentrating on cigars. Last time I was in there Jared told me that the pipe tobacco wasn't moving. Of course, I would say that shutting down their internet sales was one reason for that, but I'm no businessman.

For a time, the Knox Cigar board was one of the most active and entertaining internet boards around.

I hate to see this happen. I really like that shop. I've bought a bunch of tobacco there, and at least two pipes.

Mike

That is too bad. I really enjoyed doing business with them. It seems for awhile they were one of the premiere Internet sights/etailers for everything pipe related. Maybe they will go back to it? I'm still trying to figure out why they made the decision to get out of the business as far as the Internet goes.

Never did business with them, but I'm damned sorry to see them go :(

A bit shocking!!! I wondered why they cut out the Internet sales; they seemed to be doing well. Bought a pipe or two from "PZaring" a few years back. And, yes, the ol' Knox Cigar Board was a fun place at one time!!!!!!!! FTRPLT

It is a shame. They were my favorite online source...back when they had the online piece. Bought alot of tobacco and a number of pipes from them.

And the board was great -- I learned alot there. I kinda think of this board as the successor for displaced Knox board members.

They had a good idea to keep going and hopefully be able to expand in the future. But I think their timing sucked and they got caught out in the recession. Had to know the future. Sad day.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/jun/19/old-city-cigar-shop-closing/

Old City cigar shop closing

By Carly Harrington (Contact)
Originally published 03:03 p.m., June 19, 2009
Updated 03:03 p.m., June 19, 2009

Knoxville Cigar Co. in the Old City plans to close.

A note posted on the door of the establishment at 118 S. Central St. said all inventory and fixtures will be sold over the next several weeks. “It has been a very hard decision to make but we have decided to close the cigar shop and bar,” owners Pete and Sherrie Zaring said. “Thank you for your years of support and business.”

News Sentinel business writer Carly Harrington has more on The Bottom Line blog.