Label designs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumball

Reaction score
Do tobacco label designs influence your purchases?

The font choice on the labels of Parsons' Pleasure and Presbyterian Mixture seem to fit well with the branding of a heritage tobacco blend. Whereas Peterson use the same font on all their labels, which is perfectly workmanlike but some not really evoke much passion for the product.

The brand that really disappoints me the most is Ashton. The font on the label seems to me to be at odds with the contents of the tin. Artisan's Blend is described as a "full-bodied English mixture", but the font says pina colada to me.

I will admit that is why I purchased my first tin of Hamborger Veermaster. That old wooden sail ship and the classic German font is what got me.

captai10.jpg

Yes Sir, that label works for me... :mrgreen:

Labels have no affect on me. Most all my purchases are online anyway, so I go by contents, reviews, and price.

The old book & cover deal...

I'll confess that I'm shallow and I am influenced by labels.
The more conservative labels are the ones that grab me. Dunhill London Mixture being a good example.
The aforementioned Presbyterian tin/label also makes me want to smoke.
And conversely, I tend to avoid blends with silly names and graphics.
Yes, I am that shallow.

Another good question.

I'm immune to 99% of labeling, probably because I'm a rebel first and foremost, and stuff catered to the masses doesn't appeal or make sense to me. Or that just means I'm nuts.

In any case, heheheh, only one tobacco tin caused me to buy it just for the graphics and notion:

1293109312-Dunhill%20Early%20Morning%20Pipe.jpg

It's no surprise I like classic-designed stuff, and this one just screams "classic," and not that "nouveau vintage," fake-ass poseur design crap they're trying to emulate stylistically these days, either.

I bought it without a second thought, because if I hated the tobacco, I had a cool tin. I liked the idea of waking up bright and early with a nice, pleasant pipeful, and figured it would be on the mildly sweet side. I was wrong. It's (as you know) a mild English, but how appropriate, since I was ramping up my interest in Latakia. Since certain ingredient sources claim there's no Latakia in this mix, the label actually did me some good: I probably wouldn't have tried it as soon as I did had I not taken a chance. Now it's (thankfully) one of my go-to favorites.

8)

Alright Kyle, you got me on that one too. I had to try EMP when I saw that label. These days it's in my Cellar and is in semi-regular rotation.

Of course, this one works too.

hambor10.jpg

I have to admit that the original Red Rapparee label was an influence on my 20 yo mind to influence me to try it!! That Green and red and the type style and Indian and Delft Tobacco jar all looked so mysterious enough to make me want to find out what something in that kind of package would taste like :p I just bought a new tin of it recently and compared it to one of my old ones ( I re-use tins for screws, nails etc. Don't throw anything away ya know :p ) and it's pretty much the same except for some of the wording on the label and the top. The old ones said "Blended by Charles Rattray, Perth, Scotland and they were the old "cutter " style of steel top.

003-055-00161.jpg

When I first started pipe smokeing I bought Squadron Leader just becauase I liked the plane on the label. Other than that labels dont affect my purchase...unless there's a dog on it. Im a sucker for dogs.

I'm sure I have purchased a couple of tins for the label (I don't know which), but I don't really pay attention to it, at least not usually. I like labels with strong brand identity, and those that allow easy identification of the blend, but that's as far as my discernment goes.

once its grilling season again, i am going to have to buy a tin of peterson summertime (IR has the 2010 on the shelf)... the tin art is a good depiction of my american dream

"Tobacco"! That's the word that always goofs me up when I'm trying to find the tins of Tea :p

flytyer":ra59usie said:
When I first started pipe smokeing I bought Squadron Leader just becauase I liked the plane on the label. Other than that labels dont affect my purchase...unless there's a dog on it. Im a sucker for dogs.
Perfection?
91046159.jpg

I am somewhat influenced by label design... I'm more influenced by taste though

It's hard not to appreciate a nice design... My personal favorite: Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture
4a264f4b.jpg

Well I'm not influenced by the label, but it's nice to have something to look at ,,,as opposed to some companies that type the contents on a plain label with their logo. Not that it makes any difference but some of the more artsy labels are interesting,,and easier to find on a shelf.

magnum-opus-pipe-tobacco-200.jpg

I'm glad I wasn't influenced by the label design. Magnum Opus is a fantastic blend. The label, not so much.