lack of tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pipe dreamer

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how many tobaccos are not available.On backorder etc.I remember some lean times but this is out of hand.I have some orders going back 4 mos now.Last check I was told its here just a problem with customs.

I hear ya. Seems like the Xmas season leads to more delays in the postal system. What I usually get in 5-7 days has been taking 3-4 weeks!

Not just tobacco either. I read a report over on Smokers Forums that said that Peterson had a six-month backlog due to increased demand. Seems high prices on cigs are turning smokers to the pipe & there is a growing popularity for pipes amongst young people. Judging by the number of new members on BoB, I think this may have a hint of truth in it.

Muddler":mngrglc0 said:
Not just tobacco either. I read a report over on Smokers Forums that said that Peterson had a six-month backlog due to increased demand. Seems high prices on cigs are turning smokers to the pipe & there is a growing popularity for pipes amongst young people. Judging by the number of new members on BoB, I think this may have a hint of truth in it.
How long will it take to get something in So. Af. after you order it from the US- customs and shipping etc?? To Mexico the average is about 2 weeks. I´m bothered at the delays here....

It varies a heck of a lot. Best has been 2 weeks. Worst about 2 months.

3 Reasons I have been so hard at adding stash big time and they are as follows:
1st I am scared of what our government will do in the future to taxes on it.
2nd I want plenty to age.
3rd I have seen and heard how fast some of this stuff sells out and then how long it's been taking to come in again. So with more and more guys turning to pipes it makes since the Mfg's were not ready and it takes time to add more supply. So that makes very good sense that they are making all they can and it's not enough.

Actually I think there is another reason I can't remember right now other than the price is not going down.

Skip

Muddler":gzwyeds9 said:
You're on to something here. I've been noticing the younger folk getting interested in decidedly more 19th and 20th century hobbies and habits as well.

The last pipe club meeting I went to at my B&M was comprised mostly of late 20s guys like myself. Most all of them have only been exposed to bulk aro's so I think it will be some time for the majority if younger smokers to adjust to the va and eng blends mostly discussed here. I'm glad aro's never agreed with me, I think they are harder on the gums and teeth.

Hello All I have to agree with Skip. Think that our goverment will soon up the tax and you think that Canada is bad just wait. I see a younger bunch of pipe smokers coming along. My local B&M that I goto there is a bunch of college age kid around the pipe counter. Bad part is the owner is not that pipe knowegeable or friendly. I get a lot of questions from these young fellows. Think that part of the owners problem is that these kids don't spend the money that the cigar crowd does and its all about money. Help when I can and I have spend a lot of time reading this board to become more knowning of the pipe and tobacco.

I also have a time finding what I want. But in times like this part of it is thrill of the hunt. I am happy in that i just got a pound of Bulls eye. Will smoke part and age the rest. Most of the time my Ball jars are filled with can veggies. Now the wife is wondering whats the deal with all the tobacco in jars. She is OK with it though. Now where is that new box of mason jars??

The Cheif

Chief,
All this taxation talk makes me want to build my cellar even further. So many benefits from controlled TAD spending:

Ensuring good variety

Aging choice blends

Avoiding price and tax increases/unavailability/halt of production

Barter and trade aged tins for pipes or a greater quantity of new tins that will age along side your classics

Plus a nice array of attractive tins to display in your pipe room, I hoard my stash in an undisclosed location however.

For all these reasons, my TAD is justified if anything a little underfunded. I will smoke a pipe into the foreseeable future, and I could see no finer way of scratching out an existence post nuclear fallout than with my briars and the last tins of the classics in existence. When all else has been reduced to ash and rubble, I will have baccy to burn.

On a lighter note, maybe I will be opening these tins one day in my smoking room of my future mansion and thanking my previously poor self for making the effort to secure my smoke will continue to billow.

I was uncertain as to the location of your town chief, then I looked it up and realized that I had been there one time while visiting Caddo Lake. Mighty fine bog you have there, I'm sure the bullseye will treat you nice out on the docks. Next time I go there I am going to fire up my St. James Flake for sure.

Also dont limit yourself to bulk B & M blends, order online and enjoy some variety

Onabullit: Yes, Yes, I do live in the hovel by the swamp that is for sure. My wife " The Princess " and myself live on Caddo and are surround by water on 3 sides of our place. We live on a place called Long Point. The other side of us is a national wildlife rufuge. So we are kind of isolated. Still a road to the house that the UPS and USPS guys can get to and do to deliver their precious cargo of my Tobacco.

Going to see if I could gather some if not all the tobaccos that thecrowdog gathered in this post https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10781-results-of-the-va-and-vaper-recommendations . So far I have 4 of the 13 and is growing. Lack of product to buy is not helping it to grow very fast. Have yet to find anyone that has any FVF. Keep looking but no luck. It will happen in the mean time I get to try and store some others.

Still I don't look for a Mad Max type world but one of economic upheavel. So one day you may be a very weathy man with your cellar full of tobacco. Me I live off the land anyways so what small change I have goes into good tobacco, wine and the great single malt scotch. Not a bad life to live even for a old Indian like me.

The Chief

Indian Cheif":20y7hkfi said:
Onabullit: Yes, Yes, I do live in the hovel by the swamp that is for sure. My wife " The Princess " and myself live on Caddo and are surround by water on 3 sides of our place. We live on a place called Long Point. The other side of us is a national wildlife rufuge. So we are kind of isolated. Still a road to the house that the UPS and USPS guys can get to and do to deliver their precious cargo of my Tobacco.

Going to see if I could gather some if not all the tobaccos that thecrowdog gathered in this post https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t10781-results-of-the-va-and-vaper-recommendations . So far I have 4 of the 13 and is growing. Lack of product to buy is not helping it to grow very fast. Have yet to find anyone that has any FVF. Keep looking but no luck. It will happen in the mean time I get to try and store some others.

Still I don't look for a Mad Max type world but one of economic upheavel. So one day you may be a very weathy man with your cellar full of tobacco. Me I live off the land anyways so what small change I have goes into good tobacco, wine and the great single malt scotch. Not a bad life to live even for a old Indian like me.

The Chief
Chief, I salute you! :cheers: