Lakelands

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsKot

Reaction score
As of late I've been really curious about lakeland flakes and other tobaccos. I know the one true way to tell its flavor is for me to get off my butt and try some, but I can't justify it just yet. I've been reading online about them and see many describe it as a soapy flavoring to them, however I also noted that this description came from those who did not particularly enjoy it. So I come to you, brothers, to see what those who actually smoke lakelands regularly think of them and how they'd describe their unique flavor profile and aroma. Thanks for your time and input everyone, keep puffing away!

I've tried several lakeland blends and found I couldn't get past the "soap" flavor,,,,maybe it's personal chemistry or something I don't know,,,but that's just me,,,, the only way you'll know if you enjoy them is to keep an open mind and try them,,,but give them a fair trial by smoking several bowls before you make up your mind,,,

Some are floral, some are spicey. Others may have some flavor which probably comes from the processing and not an added scent. Still, you will not find a cooler smoking flake than those made in the Lakeland's. They also have a strength in many of thier blends that I wish we could get more often from American blenders. IMO, mild blends encourage hot smoking because the smokers puffs it up trying to get satisfaction. Start with a blend that will turn you green and you cannot help but smoke it slow.

Carlos":jgl8snw4 said:
IMO, mild blends encourage hot smoking because the smokers puffs it up trying to get satisfaction. Start with a blend that will turn you green and you cannot help but smoke it slow.
Oh, awesome advice there! I can't say that I've ever thought of it like that, but it makes perfect sense. Do you know which ones are along the spicy end of the spectrum so to speak?

I've only tried a few, but have to agree with most of what's posted in this thread so far. The three that I have tried have all been a bit different, yet with a similarity running through them that is difficult to put your finger on.

First was SG Kendal Cream Flake, good but not exactly something that blew me away and definately not something I want every day. You can read more about here if you like: https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t7955-first-impressions-kendal-cream-flake-deluxe?highlight=Kendal

G&H Brown Flake UNscented - Just discovered this recently thanks to a fellow BoB including some in a trade. Very unique tobacco flavor...I can't get enough. Plan on adding poundage to my cellar and smoking alot of this as I build up tins of other stuff. There is some mild similarity to Kendal Cream Flake, but really they aren't even close to my taste. All the "weirdness" from the KCF is absent in the Brown Flake US. If you are afraid of funky flavorings overwhelming your tobacco enjoyment. I would suggest perhaps starting here.

G&H Bosun Cut Plug Unscented - Again, fantastic and can't get enough. Tin note is potent and comes across as almost sickiningly sweet and rich, but this doesn't come through nearly as much in the tobacco to me. Somewhere in between the KCF and the Brown Flake US. It definately has an added essence...clove like. It isn't quite as strikingly weird as the stale bubblegumlike flavoring of the KCF and really plays second fiddle to the tobacco, which is some seriously stellar stuff to my palate. More poundage to be added to my cellar in short order.

I have a couple ounces of Bob's Chocolate Flake also, which I haven't decided what pipe to smoke in yet. Is it an aromatic? Is it lat weed? Is it a soapy lakelandish type blend? Once I figure that delightful dillema out and actually set fire to the stuff, I may have more to say on it.

That's about it for me so far.

G&H Rum Flake kicked my butt once, but I still like it. Lot's of nic in that one.

My theory on LLs is it just works. Most aromatics are flavored with fruit, maple, vanilla etc., the floral tones just work so much better, and thats why these blends are still around 200 yrs later.

I think I'm gonna order a few tins and give it a whirl. As of now I'm thinking Ennerdale, Grousemoor, and one of their liquor flavored selections, probably rum. Any others to add to the potential list guys?

I forgot about a couple of the ropes/twists. I rec'd a sample of the rum & whiskey twists from a trade and enjoyed both very much. A must try at some point I think, for both the rope/twist experience and the fact that they are a damn good smoke. The liquor just sort of takes the edge off a bit...doesn't come through too much in the smoke and doesn't sweeten it too much. Both are very good and alot of fun. Potent! But very good if you can hack it... ;) :lol:

Awesome, you've got me salivating over here! Had I not just smoked a pipe I'd fire up some After Hours Flake in rummy anticipation.

Hey there...shoot me your addy and I'll send you some Gawith & Hoggarth Bright CR flake to try out before diving in to buy some Lakelands. Opinions vary and I think the Lakeland strength varies from batch to batch with this particular tobacco. What I have isn't a very strong Lakeland taste while puffing, but noticeable exhaling thru the nose.
You're welcome to try some and see what you think.