Lancer Slices

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D'Artagnan

Reaction score
This is my first tobacco review. Having said that, I like red wines, cabs, Bordeaux, riojas...and I can tell you a bit about them, like whether they have or lack body, have a nice aroma, or complement whatever I am eating at the time, or whether I will have it again. What I can't tell you about is the hints of fig, undertones of currant, and the raspeberry/plum/burned-oak-casket nuances.

Same applies to tobacco.

I have not smoked the original Bengal Slices, but if this is anything like the original, BS must have spectacular. If you like VAs and latakia, and you don't want to smoke 2 different tobaccos to get your fix of both, this is your smoke.

I bought a 500 gr. bag. LS is rough cut with some long strips like FVF bulk. Tobacco is black and yellow in color, presumably for the latakia and the VA. The aroma out of the bag is smokey, like campfire, BBQ pit smokey. It's almost the right moisture out of the bag.

I rub it our coarsely and let it dry out for a couple hours before smoking. The combination of VA and latakia is amazing. You do not have to sip-smoke it like FVF, but the VAs will bite back and let you know if you are puffing too fast, but nothing like FVF.

The puffs alternate between VAs, latakia, or a mix of both, very different from what I used to with GLPs and FVF. The flavor and aroma are smokey, like a campfire; I never really know what the next puff will taste like...sweet...smokey...smokey...sweet...sweet...sweet...smokey...sweet... but it stays lit once you fire it up and smokes very cool to the bottom of the bowl. Generates a lot of smoke.

I cellared 3/4s of the bag and should age very well.

Added bonus 1: LBW likes the room note.

Added bonus 2: You can't beat the price. I'll probably end up getting more.

D'.

Lancer Slices is hard for me to obtain. Some one sent me some a couple of years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it. For me, it is one of the top notches as far as latakia blends go.

Nice job on the review.

I have'nt tried this one, then again, you and I are fortunate not to have tried the "original", so often it seems to lead to a great lament. That being said, LS sounds an interesting one, worthy of a try should I come across it. A bit difficult here in England, for the most part, ie, OTC's we have nothing but rubbish (bar one or two which do have a good following and are praised on both sides of the pond, but which on a personal level do little for me.), it is only the now rare B&M's that seem to have anything decent, and none of them seem to have consistency, ie, I can buy Ashton tobacco's in one B&M, but not Rattary's, whilst in another, I can get HoW and Marlin but no Ashton.

Sorry, this has gone from a comment on a review to a general bitching session on availability.

Great review of one of my favorite blends. I too have never had the pleasure of smoking Bengal Slices but if it is anything like Lancers Slices I can see why people really miss Bengal Slices. The other thing that I like about this bulk blend is the cost. I started out with this type of blend smoking Old Ironsides. My friend at the local B&M suggested that I give Lancers Slices a try since he just started carrying it and knew how much I like Old Ironsides. The rest is history as they say. I usually keep at least a pound of Lancers Slices in my cellar. I really enjoy the rich taste and flavor of this blend. I have some that has aged at least four years now and it seems to get better with age IMHO. It really melds the different tobaccos together for a very smooth smoke. If you like a rich Latakia tasting blend there is no better IMHO.