Language used to describe tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SocWorkerSmoker

Reaction score
Hello brothers and sister (hi Amy Jo)

Following the example of others on the board I tried an experiment today. I did a taste comparison of the three English blends I have the most experience with, which, consequently, are also my favorite: Westminster, Penzance & Squadron Leader. I loaded each blend in a different pipes and spent about 5-10 minutes with each before moving to the next pipe. I did several revolutions of that method. What I quickly realized was that I either don't have a refined enough palate or I don't have the language to describe the difference/similarities of each of the three blends. While I definitely enjoy each blend differently, if someone was to ask me why I like each blend differently I would probably just shrug my shoulders and say "because".

So, if you have had experience with any of these three blends how would you describe them, and, more importantly how would you describe them in relation to the other, ie Westminster is....compared to Penzance. From looking at Tobacco Reviews I know how people describe the blends individually but I am looking more so as to how one would compared each of the three blends against each other.

As always, thanks in advance. I am truly grateful that I found this forum. It has definitely enriched my experience with smoking pipes. And considering that the closest tobacconist is an hour away, it is great to be able to talk to others about my favorite pass time on a regular basis.

:cheers:
SWS

This may, or may not, be of some help:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/proposed-template-for-narrative-reviews-of-pipe-tobaccos-t5105.htm?highlight=template

Just ignore the troll if you read past the first few posts.

Kapnismologist":1ws9btd4 said:
This may, or may not, be of some help:

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/reviews-f15/proposed-template-for-narrative-reviews-of-pipe-tobaccos-t5105.htm?highlight=template

Just ignore the troll if you read past the first few posts.
Thank you for the link Kapinsmologist. Your method for review will definitely help provide some verbal context to what I am trying to describe with my experience of different tobaccos.

If anyone is willing to take a crack at comparing/contrasting those three blends that I mentioned (Penzance, Westminster and Squadron Leader) I would greatly appreciate it. Hearing how others compare those specific blends against each other I think will help in my conundrum

SWS

Bumblebee fart ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:face:
TENDING TO AGREE WITH PLECK

Yak":ci7c55e2 said:
Bumblebee fart ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TENDING TO AGREE WITH PLECK
Yak, now of the three English blends I mentioned, which one would you say presents more like Bumblebee fart than the others? :lol:

SWS

Weirdly enough, although I'm not a butterfly (somebody who feels compelled to smoke one tin of every tobacco available -- why, who knows ? People are goofy), those are familiar.

It's an apples and orange comparison.

Penzance and Squadron Leader are, as they come across on this end, monochromatic : one flavor and that's it. Tried a bit of both and gave them away. Not bad -- just not great.

Westminster's a kalaidoscope of flavors.

Not sure about the bumblebee fart component :lol!:

SocWorkerSmoker":kgz0n2ai said:
If anyone is willing to take a crack at comparing/contrasting those three blends that I mentioned (Penzance, Westminster and Squadron Leader) I would greatly appreciate it. Hearing how others compare those specific blends against each other I think will help in my conundrum

SWS
I think you should be the one to take a crack at it! Although it might help to get the opinions of others, ultimately each of our individual taste buds are the real judges. Although it may (or may not) help to think in terms of certain basic taste categories/perceptions, there is in my opinion no universally right or wrong way to narrate such an experience, comparative or otherwise, because it is all about individual enjoyment rather than business (such as professional coffee cuppers, vintners, etc. who have to have to use a solid, standard tasting template and terminology for obvious reasons). Speaking simply in relation to the parlance in common use amongst a wider community of pipesmokers, at most there are just useful and less than useful templates/categories one can employ to communicate a meaningful experience of a particular blend or blends.