languages

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
While I definately am a red blooded American, I do appreciate foreign things. I'm interested to know what languages sound good to your ears and which ones don't. I'm also interested to hear how English sounds to people who's native language is not English.
To me Russian sounds beautiful. It reminds me of secret missions and intrigue. Perhaps I've watched too many movies lol.
Strangely enough I like the sound of Finnish, I like the choppiness and quick cadence of it.
I also like the sound of Welsh.

As for languages I don't like....I'm not much for French unless a half naked maid is speaking it.
I don't like the sound of Cantonese or Mandarin and ditto for Hebrew.
I think with French and Hebrew it's the gutteral sounds I don't like.

Also I love the way English sounds spoken by women with a New Zealand accent.

I know down here people make a lot of fun of how we say 'R'. Ruhruhruh. :evil:

Portuguese is an odd language you don't hear very often but it has a nice lilt to it.

Italian I like a lot.

Ditto Chinese. Not the sexiest language. Unless she's speaking English with a Chinese accent. :twisted:

I had a Latvian girlfriend in school and that's a cool language! I couldn't make out a word.

My wife is 100% Portuguese, I love when she speaks it. She can also write it which is very cool I think.

Well you Americans do sound funny what with your crazy accents! (not counting the boston,new york,cajun and southern ones)

Actually the only really difference i can hear is when you say engine it sounds like (in-jun) and when you guys say roof it sounds like (ruff). Other than that they say i sound like i'm from montana which isn't surprising in the least.

As for languages my fiance speaks a bit of Finnish and it is interesting but not beautiful as it is very paced and choppy

Actually German holds a place in my brain for some reason, i find it can be very musical and the inflections are very similiar to english although it is a lot more powerful language than english.

The french i hear most is Quebecois french which uses a lot more slang and is much more laid back and appealing although i'm sure the folks in Paris would consider it dreadful.

Italian is beautiful, Gaelic is halting and i also find Russian to be quite interesting and not without its charm.

just my 2 cents.

I myself am fluent in a variety of languages: Brooklynese, Kansan, Texican, Cajun, New Mexican, Californian, Floridan, and Virginian !!!!!!!!!!!! Wish I could learn more of Harlock999's Italian dialect, though!! I might even give up pipe smoking for some personal "language lessons" by that magnificent woman instructor !!! LOL !!!!!!!!

I train in a Japanese martial art, Aikido. I know phrases and bits and pieces of Japanese. I don't find it "beautiful," as I do find it expressive. I speak Spanish somewhat fluently, but dialects vary greatly--I find Mexican Spanish gutteral and filled with slang, not very pretty. Cuban, Argentinian and Espana Spanish sounds really cool.

Russian is a neat language, also very expressive. I also like Ukraine.

I think a British accent on a woman is incredibly sexy. French is a lovely language as is Japanese. I had a professor in college who grew up in Japan and spoke both English and Japanese fluently. While in his office one day, he took a call from his wife and spoke with her in Japanese for several minutes. I found the language to be beautiful and fluid.

I tried German in college and quickly dropped it when I discovered that 4 years of high school Latin could satisfy a foreign language requirement.
While the spoken words maybe difficult to understand, the emotional feelings are a little easier.

In my - foreign - perspective:

English is great because of it's logical simplicity. I feel that it somehow derives from Latin. Understanding spoken English is another matter; many foreigners understand the best so called "International English" that we, no-native speakers use. Considering native speakers: I understand the best Scottish pronunciation. Biggest problems I had when listening to some forms of British "English-English" in some parts of London, in Kent etc. areas; no problems with"Oxford English" sometime called, I believe, the "Quinn's English". Famous English actress Helen Mirren speaks not only beautiful, but also fully understandable for us, foreigners, English. I also had no problem with understanding New Zealanders and Canadians. With American Friends the question depends: no bigger problems with understanding the language that I remember from New York, Manhattan, or Washington D.C., and from San Francisco - Bay Area. I had problems with understanding the Texan "drawl".

I love French and Russian as languages for songs. Georges Brassens, Edith Piaff, Gilbert Becaud, Aznavour…

I admire logic and order of German with it's comparatively simple pronunciation (in opposition to Danish, and - sometime - to different English pronunciation in different places).

...however, English (according to polyglots I've queried) has more bizarre and broken "rules" than any other language. Whether or not this is true, I have no idea. I do know there's a lot of stupid rules that never seem to apply 100%. English has a way about it, though.

Klingon, now there's a fancy language. 8)

LOL! Cool!

They're just joking examples of Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, and Argentinian Spanish.

Momentico, na-ie pue-e comprendeh lo Cuwano....

Just a moment, nobody can understand Cubans...

No mames guey!!

No way, dude!! Mexico

Será gilipollas?! Spain

Is he nuts?

Vos saves.... es un pelotudo! Arg

You know.... he's a lazyass....

MisterE":8qe93hkv said:
LOL! Cool!

They're just joking examples of Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, and Argentinian Spanish.

Momentico, na-ie pue-e comprendeh lo Cuwano....

Just a moment, nobody can understand Cubans...

No mames guey!!

No way, dude!! Mexico

Será gilipollas?! Spain

Is he nuts?

Vos saves.... es un pelotudo! Arg

You know.... he's a lazyass....
...for a moment I was thinking "Cuwano" was referring to bat excrement... :shock: :lol:

MisterE":s155ijuu said:
^Yeah, kinda sounds like that, don't it!? Cuban Español is really hard to understand....

What I need is one of these:

:lol!:
Next year, if I get you for Secret Santa. 8) :lol!: