Last PAD (Pen Accquisition Disorder) for a while...so cool!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
The famous Kaigelu (Kangaroo) 316.  A clone of the $400 Parker Duofold Celluloid that many reviewers claim is better than the original.
And you can get a rollerball conversation kit for it. Cool.
And it's gorgeous (if you like that sort of thing).
And the nib is iffy...some are great and some aren't.
And it can be had for under twenty bucks.
And it's just $23 with the rollerball kit.
And you can look up excellent reviews by Matt Armstrong & SBRE Brown, etc. on uTube.

Here is a link to the vendor that does the rollerball kit thing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331730824240?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

s-l400.jpg

s-l400.jpg

BH, that's a fabulous pen set, I own it. But now I'm going to order the roller ball kit. It's a fine piece of writing apparatus at an excellent price. 
Hope you enjoy your new set for many years to come. 

When you have time check this seller on eBay. I've purchased pipes and pens at great prices in the past. Great customer service, his name is Mike.

www.ebay.com/itm/Judds-NEW-Old-Stock-Loiminchay-2008-Beijing-Limited-Edition-Rollerball-Pen-/122308170056?hash=item1c7a229148:g:HmcAAOxyc2pTZ9dg

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Black/Brown marble like finish with some silver gray splotches. Purchased over a year ago on eBay. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I am drooling. With all this, I never had time to seriously look into a decent fountain pen for myself. Time to get her done! :cheers:

Well you sucked me in :lol: Just ordered the white veined version with the rollerball conversion and a half dozen rollerball refills. Nice looking pen, the video reviews sealed the deal for me. I'm always hesitant about buying stuff direct from China but these seem to be real nice. Now we'll see how long it takes to get here.

Mine arrived yesterday as well, will give a little review with photos later, only took a quick look last night and haven't really examined/used it yet beyond the 2 minutes I spent with it last night. First quick and dirty impression is that it's a nice looking pen, has a nice feel to it, I like the weight of it. I took out the nib unit as I intend to use it as a rollerball pen, the nib looks nice though. A fine nib, pretty stiff, may ink it up or even order a second rollerball pen in a different color and put this nib unit in it. The rollerball insert fit perfectly and writes well. They sent 2 rollerball inserts with the pen, and then I ordered 6 replacement inserts and they sent 7, so I have 9, ought to hold me a while.

Pretty pen. I had to order one, of course, once I espied the amber version. Currently escaped from the NY ISC, and floating around Connecticut somewhere.

My second order of my set (numbers two and three) came in. These were the white and what they call either Tiger Eye or Jasper...whatever. They are without a doubt special, especially with the rollerball trade out option. This is a pen Daddy Warbucks would use. (the Asp would hand it to him as needed)

So I need to do the initial Dawn flush & rinse routine and let 'em dry out I guess.

Hey...I ordered one of those big rubber squeeze bulbs for irrigating ears. Supposed to work GREAT for flushing pens. Goulet has them on their site. With shipping it would have been close to $8. I ordered mine from a Walmart for $2 and had it shipped to my local store free. It looks identical to me.

Well, I ordered one of these here Kangaroo pens on Jan 18 and received it on Feb 3. Two weeks, not bad. Love the pen, especially the way it feels. Hefty but manageable. I made the mistake of placing the spring on the point end of the roller ball refill (or is it a ballpoint?) and inserting both into the body. Had a bit of a bother extracting the resulting jammed spring from the pen. It goes against the butt end of the refill. And what's this "Dawn flush" business? I have to flush the pen before inking up? Hey, I don't know nuffin'--I usually write with the scorched end of a stick.

Put the converter on the pen. Pour a cup of tepid water into a clean something. Add several, like three, drops of Dawn Dish soap and mix. Insert the entire nib into the solution and run it in and out of the converter three to five times ending with it being empty. Discard the soap solution and rinse the cup, or whatever. Fill the container with clear water and repeat the fill, empty, fill, empty thing. Take the converter out of the pend and dry with a clean paper towel...and the nib as well. This procedure should be done to all new fountain pens as the manufacturing oil, grease, etc. resists the flow of ink. Oddly, the soapy water does too, but it takes away the oils and then the rinse takes away the soap. Nice.

Go to the Goulet Pens website and go through their tutorials on pens. Very good information.

https://www.gouletpens.com/fountain-pen-101

Good info. Thanks. Maybe that explains why a new Mont Blanc 149 I once had never wrote well and skipped like crazy.

(For an odd bit of remembrance that just popped out of the hard drive in my skull, Holt's tobacconist in Philadelphia used to offer MBs at a pretty hefty discount back in the '70s.)

It's really kind of sad/funny. I like to read reviews on products I'm thinking of buying...knowing to take some extreme comments/rants with a grain of salt...or just assume the guy is writing from the cozy environs of the Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane.

I've read MANY reviews re fountain pens that complained about the pen not writing or skipping or whatever. Sure, this could easily be an occluded ink channel in the feed, or a nib where the tines are too tight to allow proper capillary flow. But it could also be a converter/feed/nib contaminated by oil residue.

You should buy one of those rubber squeeze bulb aspirator things...long narrow nozzle...2 oz size. They work GREAT for flushing pens.

Also consider making some "pen flush". It's just water, Dawn and ammonia. Lots of recipes online. Good for ridding a pen of old sludgy or dried ink.

There are some, perhaps many, that will consider all this WAY too much effort. But the above should not be considered drudgery. It's part of the fun and interesting world of fountain pens. Just wait. There are three parts to the joy of writing...the cool pens...the gorgeous inks...and the fabulous papers. I just got done buying some A5 tablets of lined cream Tomoe River paper (52 gsm). Oh Mama! Incredible stuff.