Last re-worked Dr. Grabow for a while... *two new pictures*

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltwaterCowboy

Reaction score
Starting to save up for baby #2, this is my last personal purchase for a little while. It's another Dr. Grabow Riviera, billiard style.

It came to me like most Dr. Grabows have, a burgundy-brown and uninteresting. Gorgeous shape though.

Used to look like this:

billiardorig.jpg

Now looks like this, but it's more orange in the daylight.

billiard1.jpg

billiard2.jpg

billiard3.jpg

I love how the rusticated stem turned out on this...

SW, you done good. This and the other refurbished classics really look sharp! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

edited for mis-spelling. Doh!

Thanks guys! I'm learning that less is more when it comes to the classics. I need to upload a photo of the bottom of the bowl though, it's not half bad either. Will take care of that after work today.

I´m refinishing some Grabows, and your wonderfull Pipe gives me some Inspiration!

Oh wow, I completely got side-tracked in posting the photos like I promised yall... Ok, forgive me, here they are.

Underside of this pipe where the two vertical lines up the bowl meet at the shank.
billiard4.jpg

Showcasing the actual color of the pipe in some decent lighting this time.
billiard5.jpg

Georg_Franz":zdwaqskb said:
I´m refinishing some Grabows, and your wonderfull Pipe gives me some Inspiration!
To avoid scuff marks, scars or other scratches, start off with 600 grit sandpaper to get the old finish off. From there, I'm restricted to orange dyes but I've discovered a new trick... since carnuba wax is extremely difficult to come by in Japanistan, I've resorted to using regular old candle wax and the buffer on my dremel. I honestly can't tell the difference, I doubt anyone else would have if I hadn't told them.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Mr. Franz 8)