Latakia blends

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boxerbuddy

Reaction score
Since I decided early on that I wasn't much for latakia, I focused my attention on Virginias, VaPers, Vaperburs and some burley blends, and found some that I really love....Escudo, Folded flake, Night Train, ABF to name a few. But since discovering that I LOVE Penzance, my interest in lat blends has been renewed. I figure its maybe that my palate has developed a little with experience, either that or Penzance is different from any other blend I've tried with lat in it....but that to me seems unlikely.

I'm generally a fan of richer blends...and I'm hoping you guys can suggest some englishs/balkans and the like that are on the heavier side. I read the description for Pease's odyssey and that seems intriguing...gimme some help.

C&D Engine 99, Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard, Balkan Sasieni, GLP Westminster and Charring Cross......for starters

Hello Boxer Buddy,

I recommend Margate. It is a full english mixture that is produced by Esoterica - the same producers of Penzance. In fact, I prefer Margate over Penzance. Penzance is fantastic but I believe that some of the hype is exaggerated because it has been difficult to get. Good luck on your exploration into the world of latakia blends! There are many! :D

-fumo bro

Having smoked Lat/Oriental blends for over 30+ years now, Sobranie 759 was one of my faves, I'd have to say Peretti's Royal Blend being the closest to my old fave 759 made today. Nice dose of Lat as well as Orientals!

McClelland Bombay Court and Bombay Extra. Rich, rich, rich. And Buttery.

Nightcap gets my vote for being a nice, rich, lat-heavy-but-balanced mix, not expensive, easy to find. As someone who also loves Penzance, it's in a similar league (just more Lat in Nightcap...)

I would have suggested C&D Pirate Kake, but many people find that stuff harsh: I found it pretty buttery and, yes, very latakia. :lol:

Thx for the suggestions guys...Kyle...I actually have some Nightcap. I find it just doesn't have the same mouth feel as penzance. I can taste the lat big time, but the rest of it just seems kindof....thin to me. I suspect Penzance has more orientals and turkish in it...or maybe just stronger ones. Don't get me wrong, I like Nightcap, but I gotta get to the bottom of the bowl to get the fullness that I want.

Try a tin of Dunhill My Mixture 965, just about perfect, very heavy. Lestrout hooked me on this stuff!

Other favorites:
Larry's Blend - (P&C): "Penzance Light", I prefer it to Penzance
GLP Meridian or Chelsea Morning

Boxerbuddy":s7oiwz8q said:
Thx for the suggestions guys...Kyle...I actually have some Nightcap. I find it just doesn't have the same mouth feel as penzance. I can taste the lat big time, but the rest of it just seems kindof....thin to me. I suspect Penzance has more orientals and turkish in it...or maybe just stronger ones. Don't get me wrong, I like Nightcap, but I gotta get to the bottom of the bowl to get the fullness that I want.
Maybe try Squadron Leader.
It's nothing like Penzance, but heavier on the orientals.

Harlock999":81ww2g36 said:
Boxerbuddy":81ww2g36 said:
Maybe try Squadron Leader.
It's nothing like Penzance, but heavier on the orientals.
Well, since it was just tried recently, it's hard to get (which doesn't help much) but SG's Navy Flake has just joined the Collection Weiss--it's Penzance-like, especially in mouth-feel. Which is something I noted when smoking, and was delighted.

If Nightcap wasn't your thing, the Squadron Leader might not be the key, either--but I'm not sure. Squadron leader has an edginess to it, it's spicier rather than meatier. Perhaps Early Morning Pipe? *shrug*

Pease's Robusto?
Peretti's Royal Blend?
Solani's White & Black?
Mac Baren's Solent Mix?
P&C's HH Black House?

All of those have some kind of not-sweet Cavendish (or other stuff) filling out the body a little on a medium mixture, while still having Latakia--they're on my list, or I have them and haven't tried them. If I do dig into a can and write a first-timer review, and it sounds good to you, hit me up, I'll send ya some. 8)

When I'm craving Penzance and can't get my hands on any, I turn to Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding (available through P&C); although I do find it a touch sweeter, and more complex by leaps and bounds.

monbla256":mr3l489k said:
Having smoked Lat/Oriental blends for over 30+ years now, Sobranie 759 was one of my faves, I'd have to say Peretti's Royal Blend being the closest to my old fave 759 made today. Nice dose of Lat as well as Orientals!
I stopped by Peretti's today and grabbed 2 oz. of Royal Blend. When I opened the bag I smelled the typical Peretti floral/soapy topping along with latakia. To be honest I was a little dissapointed cause I thought I was going to taste this in the blend. I have some 1072 and the topping taste is strong in that one...don't like it at all.

I was pleasantly surprised...I didn't taste it at all. I really enjoyed the 1st bowl of this stuff...the orientals are out front...which I'm learning is more to my tastes than the lat being out front. Perhaps this is why I'm not a huge fan of Nightcap. So I'm guessing this is more of a "balkan"?
Its such an easy smoke too...no fussing with rubbing out, packs easy and burns with minimal relights. You can puff the shit out of it and it won't bite...it also smokes very dry.
If there's a negative to it I'd say its that it burns rather quickly...not at all a big deal.

I think I found another English/Balkan I can add to my list...lol thats 2 now. Penzance and Royal Blend..... prob gonna try some bombay extra next....that stuff sounds good, and I really haven't tried much McC stuff yet.

Glad you gave Royal Blend a try. You are experiencing what it was like to smoke the old Balkan Sobranie 759 in all aspects. It too burned somewhat fast as well and the Royal Blend visually and aroma wise is almost the same IMHO. Another Balkan that I'm sure you will like if you like Royal Blend would be McClelland's Oriental #14. SUPERB blend /mixture of Orientals as well as Latakia with some nice Virginia's. It has a lot of the same charachteristics of RB as well.

Id recommend GL Pease Quiet Nights, i recently tried it and found it to be very good, and a little similar to penzance

If you're liking Penzance, then Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding is a fine option. Personally, I think Penzance is far richer, but my wife hates the smell (and she's usually very tolerant). As I don't yearn for bachelorhood and Penzance is hard to find, I don't smoke it too often. Plum Pudding tastes great, smokes cool, and has that same 'something' that gives Penzance its richness. Plus, it isn't Wife Repellant. Works for me.

I'll also cast a vote for Peretti's Royal Blend. If you want something a little fuller, try their British Blend. Maltese Falcon from GL Pease is another favorite. C&D has some good ones: Plantation Evening, Bow-Legged Bear, and for a really full blend, Pirate Kake. I like some of the Boswell Latakia blends but most of them also contain Cavendish, which puts some people off. If you decide to try one, I recommend Northwoods. My pick of the litter in McClelland blends is Frog Morton on the Town. Pipes and Cigars has some good ones in their H&H line: Larry's Blend, Ten to Midnight, Sunjammer, and for one on the lighter side, Distinguished Penguin.

Smokey

I have had great experiences with a few of the GL Pease Old London Series flavors (Quiet Nights and Chelsea Morning). I also really like Lancer's Slices. Margate is a great option too and it's almost always in stock unlike Penzance.