Latakia & Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenceS

Reaction score
Yo! Wazzup???!!!!!???

So, I was jes' reading in the forum, and methinks I originally had it backwards. I was *originally* under the impression that the deep, earthy, camp-firey, smokey aroma/flavor was the perique, but apparently, that's the Latakia that I'm smelling?

If so, me likey Latakia!!!!!!!

The floral, sweet perfumey aroma/flavor, that's perique?

If so, not so fond of perique. Makes me think my allergies are gonna flare up.

-L

If you like Escudo, you like perique. Smells like raisins

Hah, yeah it was all very confusing for me when I first started looking into artisinal tobaccos. Tobaccoreviews.com is very helpful. Tells you what is in each blend.

LaurenceS":r2mevrjb said:
Yo! Wazzup???!!!!!???

So, I was jes' reading in the forum, and methinks I originally had it backwards. I was *originally* under the impression that the deep, earthy, camp-firey, smokey aroma/flavor was the perique, but apparently, that's the Latakia that I'm smelling?

-L
Laurence, the smoky character is indeed the Latakia. In some blends it can dominate (like Balkans) but if blended with say Virginias and other condimental 'baccys like Orientals it can be sublime. Check out McLellands Wilderness or Legends and you'll see what I mean. Or, stop on down and I'll turn you onto a bowl!

If a blend has Perique and no Latakia, depending on the amount used you should get a raisen/fig character. And musty is also a descriptor I use, but in a good way.

Your profile indicates you like Escudo. That's a very solid VaPer, and one I'm very fond of. Another is C&D Bayou Morning, and John Pattons' Cool Hand Fluke. Great for Perique lovers!

Both are acquired tastes, but both worth acquiring.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":8en5bip3 said:
LaurenceS":8en5bip3 said:
Yo! Wazzup???!!!!!???

-L
Laurence, the smoky character is indeed the Latakia. In some blends it can dominate (like Balkans) but if blended with say Virginias and other condimental 'baccys like Orientals it can be sublime. Check out McLellands Wilderness or Legends and you'll see what I mean. Or, stop on down and I'll turn you onto a bowl!

If a blend has Perique and no Latakia, depending on the amount used you should get a raisen/fig character. And musty is also a descriptor I use, but in a good way.

Your profile indicates you like Escudo. That's a very solid VaPer, and one I'm very fond of. Another is C&D Bayou Morning, and John Pattons' Cool Hand Fluke. Great for Perique lovers!

Both are acquired tastes, but both worth acquiring.

HTH

Cheers,

RR
An excellent answer. Besides, especially with Latakia, Perique, and Orientals, a lot depends on what other tobacco they are blended with. My Cool Hand Fluke was mentioned as a good example of Perique. My Latakia Junction is a good example of Latakia, and both are roughly the same strength.