Latakia Powerhouse Wanted?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've smoked all the lat bombs and if you like Latakia like I do they are all great. I'll bet pig turd with latakia would even be go-to smoke. The key with latakia is to build a flavor tolerance. If you hit the hard stuff before you're taste buds are up to the punch it'll turn you off. Once you get the hang of the stuff it is sheer heaven in a bowl. Only problem is your guests will be checking out early. So think of it as a solitary man's pleasure. Your girlfriend or your wife won't appreciate your tuck in kiss for sure. :lol!:

jj1015":q8o4n1oe said:
PipeCulture":q8o4n1oe said:
jj1015":q8o4n1oe said:
Northwoods is one of my faves, but Odyssey IS my favorite and has been for many years now.

I don't find it as one-dimensional as others, although it is certainly a latakia powerhouse of the first order. I actually get a nice bit of complexity from it, plus a hint of sweetness. But the main note is latakia, and it is a very robust mixture. So I would definitely put this at the top of your list!
Thanks. Already have a tin here at home, actually. While it's one of my favorite Pease blends I don't find it quite as Latakia-forward as Northwoods---which is odd considering the GLP pipedia.org page lists Odyssey as one of their fuller blends.

I've tried McConnell's Latakia Flake which is definitely a fuller bodied lat bomb. Unfortunately, I found it lacked the "meaty" (literally) appeal found in most of GLPs English blends. I've got C&D's Pirate Kake and Capt. Earles Ten Russians here are as well and while both are lat bombs I got to them once for every five times I go for a Pease blend.

Now, since you mentioned GLP, I have a tin of Westminster that I'm just dying to open. I keep trying various GLP blends---those which are described as having generous portions of latakia--- hoping that one of them is the creamy, lat powerhouse that I've been looking for. I keep looking at the Westminster and wondering. Maybe I'll stop wondering and try it out tonight before bed.
Wow! I find Odyssey to have far, far more latakia than Northwoods! Just goes to show that we all taste everything differently. On that note, though, there is something unusual about Northwoods' flavor, something that adds a bit more spice and smoky flavor/aroma to it. But I don't think that's the lat -- I think there are some orientals, or perhaps even some type of flavoring, that gives it that unique punch. Just IMO, though! :)

If you've got Pirate Kake, Ten Russians and Odyssey... well, I hate to say it, but I doubt that anything on the market will have more of a latakia punch than what you have already. You might try C&Ds Da Vinci, or perhaps try to mix your own blend, but other than that you've pretty much hit the ceiling, I think. Good luck on the Westminster, and let us know what you think of it. Westminster has significantly less latakia than Odyssey, but based on what you're saying I'm not at all sure that more latakia is what you're really looking for. Latakia, believe it or not, is a fairly mild tobacco -- not much nicotine, and it's nowhere near as strong a condimental as, say, perique. What usually adds "power" is the other tobaccos in the mix, and I would suspect if you want something "creamy" than you need some orientals or even cavendish. Also, Kentucky is a very "smoky" flavored tobacco, and I find it's useful when I want to add a nice kick to a lat mixture.

Larry's Blend might give you the "creamy" flavor you're looking for, but I'd also reckon it a full order of magnitude less full than the other blends we've mentioned. Magnum Opus is delicious, but it's far from being a latakia powerhouse -- it's more of an oriental blend than a traditional Balkan. They are both absolutely top-notch blends.
First of all, I agree that Odyssey has much much more Latakia in it than Northwoods. Northwoods at best IMO, would be classified as a quasi-English blend due to the fact that there IS some sort of topping added and I suspect that the black cavendish they use in Northwoods is probably what has been cased or topped with something or another. This is not to take away from Northwoods at all, as I have enjoyed several ounces of it in the past, but this is merely my opinion on the Latakia content and the flavoring.

Secondly, I disagree about Larry's Blend not being a "Latakia powerhouse". From talking to Russ Oulette at Newark, I gather that Larry's Blend has at least 50% Latakia. I also suspect that if this is not the case, the Smyrna leaf used tends to give the false impression that there is actually more Latakia in the blend than there actually is. Greg Pease has talked about this several times, how Orientals can actually work in tandem with Latakia to give the blend a false impression of having higher Latakia content than it really does. At any rate, having smoked C&D Star of the East Flake, Nightcap, Commonwealth, and several other Latakia heavyweight blends, I would definitely put Larry's Blend in the same category.

-Scott

I have just remembered Sir William which I bought in the Hajenhuis tobacconists in Amsterdam Holland,it had a high latakia content.Unforunately you cannot seem to get it outside of Holand.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

scottbtdmb":bif5oujw said:
jj1015":bif5oujw said:
PipeCulture":bif5oujw said:
jj1015":bif5oujw said:
Northwoods is one of my faves, but Odyssey IS my favorite and has been for many years now.

I don't find it as one-dimensional as others, although it is certainly a latakia powerhouse of the first order. I actually get a nice bit of complexity from it, plus a hint of sweetness. But the main note is latakia, and it is a very robust mixture. So I would definitely put this at the top of your list!
Thanks. Already have a tin here at home, actually. While it's one of my favorite Pease blends I don't find it quite as Latakia-forward as Northwoods---which is odd considering the GLP pipedia.org page lists Odyssey as one of their fuller blends.

I've tried McConnell's Latakia Flake which is definitely a fuller bodied lat bomb. Unfortunately, I found it lacked the "meaty" (literally) appeal found in most of GLPs English blends. I've got C&D's Pirate Kake and Capt. Earles Ten Russians here are as well and while both are lat bombs I got to them once for every five times I go for a Pease blend.

Now, since you mentioned GLP, I have a tin of Westminster that I'm just dying to open. I keep trying various GLP blends---those which are described as having generous portions of latakia--- hoping that one of them is the creamy, lat powerhouse that I've been looking for. I keep looking at the Westminster and wondering. Maybe I'll stop wondering and try it out tonight before bed.
Wow! I find Odyssey to have far, far more latakia than Northwoods! Just goes to show that we all taste everything differently. On that note, though, there is something unusual about Northwoods' flavor, something that adds a bit more spice and smoky flavor/aroma to it. But I don't think that's the lat -- I think there are some orientals, or perhaps even some type of flavoring, that gives it that unique punch. Just IMO, though! :)

If you've got Pirate Kake, Ten Russians and Odyssey... well, I hate to say it, but I doubt that anything on the market will have more of a latakia punch than what you have already. You might try C&Ds Da Vinci, or perhaps try to mix your own blend, but other than that you've pretty much hit the ceiling, I think. Good luck on the Westminster, and let us know what you think of it. Westminster has significantly less latakia than Odyssey, but based on what you're saying I'm not at all sure that more latakia is what you're really looking for. Latakia, believe it or not, is a fairly mild tobacco -- not much nicotine, and it's nowhere near as strong a condimental as, say, perique. What usually adds "power" is the other tobaccos in the mix, and I would suspect if you want something "creamy" than you need some orientals or even cavendish. Also, Kentucky is a very "smoky" flavored tobacco, and I find it's useful when I want to add a nice kick to a lat mixture.

Larry's Blend might give you the "creamy" flavor you're looking for, but I'd also reckon it a full order of magnitude less full than the other blends we've mentioned. Magnum Opus is delicious, but it's far from being a latakia powerhouse -- it's more of an oriental blend than a traditional Balkan. They are both absolutely top-notch blends.
First of all, I agree that Odyssey has much much more Latakia in it than Northwoods. Northwoods at best IMO, would be classified as a quasi-English blend due to the fact that there IS some sort of topping added and I suspect that the black cavendish they use in Northwoods is probably what has been cased or topped with something or another. This is not to take away from Northwoods at all, as I have enjoyed several ounces of it in the past, but this is merely my opinion on the Latakia content and the flavoring.

Secondly, I disagree about Larry's Blend not being a "Latakia powerhouse". From talking to Russ Oulette at Newark, I gather that Larry's Blend has at least 50% Latakia. I also suspect that if this is not the case, the Smyrna leaf used tends to give the false impression that there is actually more Latakia in the blend than there actually is. Greg Pease has talked about this several times, how Orientals can actually work in tandem with Latakia to give the blend a false impression of having higher Latakia content than it really does. At any rate, having smoked C&D Star of the East Flake, Nightcap, Commonwealth, and several other Latakia heavyweight blends, I would definitely put Larry's Blend in the same category.

-Scott
Again - that just goes to show how we each taste things differently! I've smoked several pounds of Larry's Blend (for a long time it was my go-to daily smoke) and I never considered it to be a lat-bomb in the sense that Odyssey is. It's a lot more complex, and the latakia never reached the point where it tasted like I just licked a campfire. The latakia is definitely prominent in Larry's Blend, but I just don't put it in the same category as Pirate Kake, Odyssey, etc. Just my opinion, though!

Your point about the interaction with the orientals is kind of what I was driving at above -- I think that the choice of orientals and Vas tend to be what drives the "fullness" of a blend. It's why Odyssey and Larry's Blend -- to me at least -- both have "fuller" profiles than, say, Pirate Kake. It's always a mistake to focus on one component of a blend, as it's nearly always the synergy of tobaccos that makes the final product memorable.

I've got a surprise for you- Larry's Blend is 67% Latakia by weight, but the Smyrna is so buttery that it seems to tame down the Lat a bit. Our new Marquee Series Cerberus is 70% Latakia and has a little more kick because of the different Orientals plus a touch or dark-fired Kentucky.

Russ

blendtobac":508jtlu7 said:
I've got a surprise for you- Larry's Blend is 67% Latakia by weight, but the Smyrna is so buttery that it seems to tame down the Lat a bit. Our new Marquee Series Cerberus is 70% Latakia and has a little more kick because of the different Orientals plus a touch or dark-fired Kentucky.

Russ
I am a little surprised to hear that, but not so much, because it does make sense. The Smyrna definitely has another character to it that it tones the Latakia down to the point that if someone didn't know any better, they may indeed have guessed that it was in the ballpark of something lower like 40-50%. I also see the point you make with your Cerberus blend, where the Kentucky acts as a sponge of sort to really amp up the Latakia and Orientals, not to mention that is adds the nicotine strength to the bowl as well. I am really interested to re-visit Pipeworks&Wilke's #400 whenever I decide to get some again. It has been a few years since I have smoked it, but I remember #400 having a LOT of power to it from the Kentucky and Perique that were added onto the Lat/Yenidje/Va combo. If I am not mistaken, #400 is actually Wilke's #524 with KY and Perique added. I remember it being a fine smoke and probably the best usage of condiment tobaccos that I ever witnessed between the Yenidje, Kentucky, and Perique. Gotta place an order sometime soon!!!

-Scott

P.S. Has anyone ordered from Wilke (Carole) lately? I know she is recovering from surgery and said that she is only back part-time, so I am wondering what the turn around is right now on orders? Aside from that, I would almost hate to bother her right now while she has more important things to worry about than blending tobaccos

blendtobac":aymj1ens said:

Russ
Russ,
WOW! I would never, in a million years, have guessed that the lat content was higher than 40 t0 45 percent (and I blend a lot on my own). As has been said many times already, it's the synergy of the components that counts. I might need to order some smyrna to blend with -- do you all sell it? :D .

jj1015":bgqsgb3w said:
blendtobac":bgqsgb3w said:

Russ
Russ,
WOW! I would never, in a million years, have guessed that the lat content was higher than 40 t0 45 percent (and I blend a lot on my own). As has been said many times already, it's the synergy of the components that counts. I might need to order some smyrna to blend with -- do you all sell it? :D .
"Russ" as in H&H's Russ O? If so, thanks for chiming in here. Where (outside of Albany) can I get the Marquee Series Cerberus (as well as the Larry's Blend)? Though more appropriate for a different thread, I'm dying to try the Marquee Magnum Opus as well.

Thanks,
-- M

[/quote]

Russ,
WOW! I would never, in a million years, have guessed that the lat content was higher than 40 t0 45 percent (and I blend a lot on my own). As has been said many times already, it's the synergy of the components that counts. I might need to order some smyrna to blend with -- do you all sell it? :D . [/quote]

"Russ" as in H&H's Russ O? If so, thanks for chiming in here. Where (outside of Albany) can I get the Marquee Series Cerberus (as well as the Larry's Blend)? Though more appropriate for a different thread, I'm dying to try the Marquee Magnum Opus as well.

Thanks,
-- M[/quote]

Yes, that's me. All our products are available from our website- www,pipesandcigars.com.

Russ

PipeCulture":gus1m2xj said:
Rob_In_MO":gus1m2xj said:
Though not a Powerhouse, Dunhill 965 isn't too bad either.
Ergo, I should probably try the 965 before the Nightcap?
Definately the 965 is milder than Nighcap.Pipeman1947 :pirate: :pirate:

PipeCulture":mpe3rrbr said:
Rob_In_MO":mpe3rrbr said:
Though not a Powerhouse, Dunhill 965 isn't too bad either.
Ergo, I should probably try the 965 before the Nightcap?
Eh? Try both! Both have their own distinct qualities, and you might like each in their own way. Worst case - if you don't like the 965, i'm sure someone on here would take it off your hands.

Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I just placed an order for the below. Granted a few are off topic but I look forward to Nightcap and Commonwealth Mixture:

* Dunhill Nightcap
* Esoterica Margate
* GLP Key Largo
* H&H Larry's Blend
* H&H Marquee Cerberus
* H&H Marquee Magnum Opus
* JF Jermain's Special Latakia Flake
* SG Commonwealth Mixture

All of the replies here were extremely valuable.

Best,
- M

PipeCulture":xww6kdq3 said:
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread. I just placed an order for the below. Granted a few are off topic but I look forward to Nightcap and Commonwealth Mixture:

* Dunhill Nightcap
* Esoterica Margate
* GLP Key Largo
* H&H Larry's Blend
* H&H Marquee Cerberus
* H&H Marquee Magnum Opus
* JF Jermain's Special Latakia Flake
* SG Commonwealth Mixture

All of the replies here were extremely valuable.

Best,
- M
That's a nice order right there. I ordered 2 tins of Magnum Opus as well, based on recommendations within this thread.

I have some Ten to Midnight, Larry's Blend and some Magnum O waiting patiently for me to get to 'em. Still haven't gotten any Odyssey. I should change that. For the record, I loved Pirate Kake. It's a kitten in the bowl, but you'll smell it on your clothes after a smoke. 8)

Kyle Weiss":q0hb40z8 said:
I have some Ten to Midnight, Larry's Blend and some Magnum O waiting patiently for me to get to 'em. Still haven't gotten any Odyssey. I should change that. For the record, I loved Pirate Kake. It's a kitten in the bowl, but you'll smell it on your clothes after a smoke. 8)
I've stopped smoking Odyssey at work as it's been suggested that smelling like a "moldy log cabin" is not improving my sales.

I smoked Odyssey last night. I was lucky enough to run across a 2 year old tin at a local B&M. Wonderful smoke with a superb repelling effect on the lady of the house.

If you've got access to an Edward's Pipe shop near you ( or on-line) get down there and get some of their Special Balkan which has three Vitginia's and a bit of Burley as a base and the rest is LATAKIA. It's over 50% Latakia by volume and despite being a "Lat Bomb" it's a smooth and tastey one. I just ordered some more after 30years and got it the other night and will be firing up a bowl in one of my Meers tonight after dinner.

DrumsAndBeer":zjzh99x2 said:
I smoked Odyssey last night. I was lucky enough to run across a 2 year old tin at a local B&M. Wonderful smoke with a superb repelling effect on the lady of the house.
:king: - :queen: = :mrgreen:

:cheers:

8)