latakia

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lb

Reaction score
Very interesting article on google regarding a study of the constitutes of latakia smell. For my surprise , 90% is given by a substance called mastic (pistacia lenticus). Pine , oak , myrtle , etc. are secondary players.

lb":798fmp2i said:
90% is given by a substance called mastic (pistacia lenticus)
Hello lb,
Unfortunately I did not see the article.  Did it say that the wood from the mastic tree was burned to smoke the Latakia tobacco or mastic itself?  Mastic is a resinous substance derived from the sap of the mastic tree.  If mastic is used, I wonder what process would be employed to transfer the aroma from mastic to the tobacco - is it burned?  I would be interested in reading the article.  I would be grateful if you could provide a link.

lb":vintkxu5 said:
Very interesting article on google regarding a study of the constitutes of latakia smell. For my surprise , 90% is given by a substance called mastic (pistacia lenticus). Pine , oak , myrtle , etc. are secondary players.
lb, do you have a link to the article you are referring to? I would enjoy reading it.

http://www.google.es/url?
sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=occ.QFJAB&

The essay is by Leffingwell , so you can look on google with that name. It is also on pipesmagazine.

I'm not able to read it without downloading it, but it sounds informative. :suspect:

Dutch":uzi5kd1t said:
I'm not able to read it without downloading it, but it sounds informative. :suspect:
Did it twice. Live dangerously, Dutch. I skimmed it. Shrug. I'd still smoke it even if flavored with dog scheisse.

Ok, interesting, of course more information than I needed. Perhaps a degree in organic chemistry would have helped.. :shock:

eklektos44":un9gmiuz said:
Ok, interesting, of course more information than I needed. Perhaps a degree in organic chemistry would have helped.. :shock:
This for sure!! And as it said at the start of the article these substances are introduced to the leaf by the SMOKE from the burning of the different woods. Nothing is injected. But looks like the old wives tale about camel dung fires is just that !! :twisted: :twisted:

Ozark Wizard":cmi5ee5b said:
Camel dung?

Crack me up.................
Maybe the dung is the 1% unknown. The 1% reported as "other".

I thought maybe that 1 percent might be children of the Infidels, or something...

smirk, kidding of course

An interesting and thorough analysis using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.

It would have been much more interesting to us smokers if they had performed some comparisons looking for significant variations in lots of latakia from different sources. I mention this because I have noted distinct differences in (what my palate detects as) the latakia component from one batch of a given mixture to the next. I have no idea what criteria the blenders use to choose their suppliers, or even if they have any latitude for choice.

mikesan":wt54coi7 said:
An interesting and thorough analysis using gas chromatography/mass spectrometry.

It would have been much more interesting to us smokers if they had performed some comparisons looking for significant variations in lots of latakia from different sources.  I mention this because I have noted distinct differences in (what my palate detects as) the latakia component from one batch of a given mixture to the next.  I have no idea what criteria the blenders use to choose their suppliers, or even if they have any latitude for choice.
THAT's what I'm talking about....... like wine...........

Ozark Wizard":6i75knzo said:
THAT's what I'm talking about....... like wine...........
Yes, indeed. As a matter of fact I have a good friend who is a chemist working in the wine industry. He uses this same technology (GC/MS) to examine and compare wines. Very interesting differences between wines from the same grapes but different vinyards.