Late-night pipe smoking locales

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mejoshee

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm just full of questions right now! :p

I love my house. I love staying in a comfy place when I smoke and being able to reach for a nice whisky when I feel like it. But, I must smoke outside if my wife will let me at all. :cry:

In general, the nighttime is the only practical time of night to do so. Depending on the time of year, in the Bay Area it gets around down to 40s-50s in the evening. I know you northern guys are rolling your eyes, but I wouldn't mind being a little warmer and indoors when smoking rather than bundling up just to smoke. :oops: I mean, I've sat out there for a while, but then I can't handle the tamper or feel my toes. It also tends to get pretty windy on the backside of the house. I sometimes smoke in the afternoons on the weekends too and noticed how difficult it was to manage lighting up with this.

Is it better for me to just rig something up inside that will not allow any smoke odor at all (solves the wind and temperature issue), or try to find another place to smoke like a late-night club? I don't really want to spend money on a patio heater as this still doesn't solve the wind problem and will cost a pretty penny if I keep up smoking at night on a regular basis, not to mention potential noise factor. (Neighbors have a low threshold.) :|

Perhaps I can fashion a windscreen large enough for me to hide behind? Or is this a really low-class approach? I don't really see an answer to the problem quite how I was hoping so far in the forums, so I thought I'd post here.

mejoshee":6uv7kwr1 said:
I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm just full of questions right now! :p

I love my house. I love staying in a comfy place when I smoke and being able to reach for a nice whisky when I feel like it. But, I must smoke outside if my wife will let me at all. :cry:

In general, the nighttime is the only practical time of night to do so. Depending on the time of year, in the Bay Area it gets around down to 40s-50s in the evening. I know you northern guys are rolling your eyes, but I wouldn't mind being a little warmer and indoors when smoking rather than bundling up just to smoke. :oops: I mean, I've sat out there for a while, but then I can't handle the tamper or feel my toes. It also tends to get pretty windy on the backside of the house. I sometimes smoke in the afternoons on the weekends too and noticed how difficult it was to manage lighting up with this.

Is it better for me to just rig something up inside that will not allow any smoke odor at all (solves the wind and temperature issue), or try to find another place to smoke like a late-night club? I don't really want to spend money on a patio heater as this still doesn't solve the wind problem and will cost a pretty penny if I keep up smoking at night on a regular basis, not to mention potential noise factor. (Neighbors have a low threshold.) :|

Perhaps I can fashion a windscreen large enough for me to hide behind? Or is this a really low-class approach? I don't really see an answer to the problem quite how I was hoping so far in the forums, so I thought I'd post here.

Couple of questions are needed first: Do you contribute or even make the house payment/ rent where you live? Do you contribute or even make the utilities payments where you live ? Do you contribute to the money's needed for food in your household?
 If your answer is yes to any of these, you have the RIGHT to smoke INSIDE your house:twisted::twisted:

Standing in the cold trying to smoke a pipe kind of sucks, especially with wind. You don't have a garage area?
See if your wife will go for you smoking in front of a window fan that will draw the smoke out of the house. And buy her lot's of shoes...8)

In my studio usually. Once everyone's in bed it gets quiet and I can enjoy a peaceful smoke.

Once in a while I'll smoke in the livingroom watching a movie. That requires getting fans and open windows coordinated. Only for special occasions.

monbla256":6n0ecset said:
Couple of questions are needed first: Do you contribute or even make the house payment/ rent where you live? Do you contribute or even make the utilities payments where you live ? Do you contribute to the money's needed for food in your household?
 If your answer is yes to any of these, you have the RIGHT to smoke INSIDE your house:twisted::twisted:

Duly noted. I own my house, but I also love my wife and respect her wishes. 

Of course tonight is warmer than usual so I'm out without a jacket :D

I've tried the garage and fan trick when it rained. That worked alright but it's really noisy and she still noticed the smell of smoke. :roll:

Forgot to mention I have guitars and would prefer not to fouls them...

Depends on her objection a bit.  If it is second hand smoke, you're dead.  If it is odor, there are small air cleaners that emit ozone that might remove the order to the point she finds it acceptable.  Another possibility are the smoker candles that can be found on most pipe smoker sites.

I'd suggest starting off with a plain Virginia which isn't as offensive to many.  Find a confined area to use where the room can be closed off more from the total air flow so that the ozone or candles can do their work in the more confined area.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dgarden&field-keywords=ozone+air+purifier&sprefix=ozone+air+%2Cgarden%2C265&rh=n%3A1055398%2Ck%3Aozone+air+purifier

Try looking for a small tent that you can put in the back yard...that way you'll have your own "room". I can appreciate your consideration for your wife...mine is actually allergic to smoke so I have to smoke on my outdoor porch...can get a little rough when it is 28 degrees, but the upside is the crispness of the air makes the smoking so much better (not counting the "crispyness" of your toes, however).

KevinM":a81ik9v2 said:
Car? Comfy seats. Stereo. Weather proof.
+1 on this.  My car is my favorite place to smoke.

I could only imagine thinking 50-degrees is cold.  Right now we are averaging about 35-degrees at night time here, and to me, that is short and t-shirt weather hahaha.

A van down by the river works. A cardboard box in an alley could also work in a pinch. I'm kidding, of course.

I'm in the same boat but it's a little warmer here. I want a workshop reeeeal bad.

/rubs arm

What is the feline phrase that goes before whipped?  Kitten?  No.  It will come to me...

OK, I'm old, alone, and bitter.  But, I am sitting here at the 'puter enjoying my pipe.  Eat your hearts out, spousal objects.

And then I saw all this other thread about "Man Caves".  Right...  :lol!:  Those obviously all come with chintz curtains. 

Hey Mombla, where you enjoying a pipe full? Indoors you say?  OMG!

Look guys, at least buy houses with wet dirty basements where you can hide out with some style.

OK, I am done.  I hear slides being racked off in the distance.

Camouflaged Man Cave -- cushion extra.  Quotes on Request

800px-Outhouse%2C_Lake_Providence%2C_LA_IMG_7386.JPG
" style="width: 450px;height: 0px

JKenP":g2pe0qti said:
Camouflaged Man Cave -- cushion extra.  Quotes on Request

800px-Outhouse%2C_Lake_Providence%2C_LA_IMG_7386.JPG
" style="width: 450px;height: 0px
Hehe. Where I do all my best thinking ;)

I just bought a miter saw. I may need to think up some projects...

MisterE":84gtmbtt said:
Ken, you won the prize for biggest image ever posted! I took the liberty of making it a little more view friendly. ;)
Thank you sir!  It was a lot smaller where I grabbed it and I couldn't figure out how to resize.

you could always buy a shed and put it in the yard. that's what i'm going to do if we move to a bigger place.

somedumbjerk":waf7y0qg said:
you could always buy a shed and put it in the yard. that's what i'm going to do if we move to a bigger place.
We don't have too big of a yard. I'll be building a shed, though in the near future for yard stuff to clear out the garage. We'll see if there's a spot for one on the back side of the house.

I generally smoke outdoors or in my garage. I'm still happily married, if that counts.

Been continuing smoking in the patio area despite the wind, as well as half-closing the garage door and putting a high velocity fan to move air. This has seemed to work, especially last night during the drizzle. I had cleaned the garage the previous weekend and my wife has yet to complain about garage smokiness. Certainly helps with the wind sheer.

My main fear is allowing it to penetrate into the house. I may still invest in another HEPA/ozone filter unit one of these days when we finish the garage and install more outlets.

My long term goal is to park a car in there, as well as have a modular workbench along one side. I may need to build in my own ventilated smoking booth 8)