Laurie R King Holmes Novels

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
If you've never picked up a Laurie R King Sherlock Holmes pastiche...do yourself a major favor and do so. "The Beekeeper's Apprentice" would be a good start. They are spot on! But there is a twist...

King, IMHO, rivals Conan Doyle. A bit more modern re: language and usages, etc. but very, very close. A VERY fine and highly regarded writer!!!

I concur. I have read all of the Mary Russels, but like the last three less than the first ones. Now I am working on the Martinelli novels. I like King's writing style.

If someone hasn't read the Russel novels: The set up is that Watson published the Holmes stories through Doyle. And in that publication things were, well, puffed a bit.
Holmes is retired now, and young Mary Russell stumbles across him. They impress each other and the relationship begins. Best read in the order of publication.

Really quite enjoyable.

(If you haven't found this site, you will love it http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk)

I liked the last three (The Game, Language of Bees and God of the Hive) less because they seemed less like Holmes-flavored stories, and more like adventure stories.

(If there is an advantage to being between jobs, it is that there is more time ot read...)

"The Moor" is so far my favorite, as I have read up to that. Looking forward to reading the rest.