Leather care

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cuervo25_1

Reaction score
Obenaufs, nuff said. they even make boot laces as well that hold up so much better.

I use to sing odes to saddle soap , but no more.

I use both--saddle soap to clean, and Obenauf's to preserve. Yes, good stuff. I even use it on a leather-covered pipe I have.

I used AquaSeal paste (no liquid) for a couple decades under the Vasque label. I would have stuck with it if they weren't such pains in the ass. They insisted I mailorder it from various mailorder outfits, and that would be fine if all the recommendations didn't want to charge me more for shipping than for the paste. In other words, they weren't accommodating in the least. Hey, I guess they don't need the business. I really, truly miss the days when the customer was always right and when customer service was priority one. I don't want to hear how bad the economy is from American companies. If it was, they'd bend over backwards for a sale. And I wanted to buy several tubs and give a couple away as gifts. Nope.

So I started using Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP. I'm very satisfied and not at all sorry to be using it. Easy to find. Not only available through obscure mailorders with nothing else you want.

It's kind of crazy how much good leather care costs these days. I think I paid $14.

For leather goods, especially footwear, in poor condition, I use PECARD leather dressing.

A few months ago I'd disinfected (an experiment) a couple of pairs of second hand leather boots with Lysol (old school stuff mixture with water).  I feel it worked well, or at least, it offered an adequate illusion and some peace.  The downside was that it somewhat dried out the leather.  Nothing too awful, but they then clearly demanded some leather conditioner.  I don't know about anyone else, but I dread waterproofing and conditioning leather.  I put it off for months.  I'm in good shape.  I do hardcore cardio and mild resistance training five days a week and have for years.  Yet, two pairs of boots wipes me out.  Anyone else feel working leather is exhausting?  By the fourth boot, I was ready for a nap.

*after doing a lot of research and asking in forums, I decided upon using Lexol leather conditioner.  I probably would have went with Obenauf's Leather Oil, but A LOT of shoe people recommended Lexol.  The bonus there is it is comparatively inexpensive.  We'll see how happy I am with Lexol in a few weeks.