Leather Pipe Plugs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawker

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you have trouble loading your pipes while on the road & find that preloading can be messy. I came up with these easy to make leather pipe plugs while i was working up north on HWY 63 (dubed the "Highway of Death") because it's such a dangerous road to drive. I found myself not wanting to take the time on the road to load up and they also work great for when you've smoked half a bowl & want to plug your pipe for later it saves an ashy mess in your pouches.

95 % of the one's i've made for my pipes have been built using a 7/8" or 13/16" hole puch & beveling the inside edge on a belt sander if required to fit. Just tap a tiny hole in the center, thread your nylon thread thru with a double knot on the bottom & a single on top with about 1/4-3/8" of thread for finshed length. I found that 4-5 oz firm saddle leather works great.

PS George K, Thanks for the tip on the Maxpedtion bag it works great.

Cool idea Hawker, thanks for sharing it! 8)

I agree. I never thought of using leather. Hell I've got half a hide in storage I can use!

Something else i found handy was for pipes that you don't smoke as often you can label the plugs with which blends you've dedicated them too lest you get forgetful. Seems to be happening more lately, To many pipes naw can't be.

Now that is a wonderful idea. Driving around Edmonton, I'll load up a couple of pipes for the day. If I forget, I'm steering with my knees loading the pipe on the Yellowhead. :oops:

Slow Puffs":ii7rn2rp said:
Now that is a wonderful idea. Driving around Edmonton, I'll load up a couple of pipes for the day. If I forget, I'm steering with my knees loading the pipe on the Yellowhead. :oops:
Slow Puffs your not that far away (1hr), if your ever down my way (Ponoka) bring some pipes & i'll build you some while we smoke a bowl.

Hawker":at5idcq9 said:
Slow Puffs":at5idcq9 said:
Slow Puffs your not that far away (1hr), if your ever down my way (Ponoka) bring some pipes & i'll build you some while we smoke a bowl.
Thanks for the offer :D . I don't get that way often but I'll keep it in mind.

Great idea! I've used a well fitted cork in the past for the same purpose. Yours are nice size though. I'm all for pre-packing for something like that.

those Max Fatty's are great for pipes.. Is that a Fatty or the Beefy? I thinking of trying the Beefy look's to have about another inch all the way around. I like being able to reach into my EDC bag and just grab the smaller bag of 'pipes & stuff' and not have to dig around.

Bullwinkle":3e1hak2b said:
those Max Fatty's are great for pipes.. Is that a Fatty or the Beefy? I thinking of trying the Beefy look's to have about another inch all the way around. I like being able to reach into my EDC bag and just grab the smaller bag of 'pipes & stuff' and not have to dig around.
After seeing George Kaplans I was after the Fatty when i bought it and the few stores that carry Maxpedition in Edmonton only had the Beefy which is the same as the Fatty just an inch H & W bigger. Would of taken either. Can't imagine not having it once you have used one. So many compartments & holders very handy. Don't leave home with out it when gone for more than a day.