Leather Work (beginner level stamping)

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thistleoak

Reaction score
So I have always tanned my own leather from deer , rabbit and coon hide and made leather medicine bags for friends and family but I decided I wanted to try my hand at stamping and tooling,  I ordered the begginer leather working kit and some pre cut and stitch punched projects, wallet, knife sheath etc. With the kit came a "bracelet" that would only fit an infant lol so I said what the heck it will do good for a pipe stand.  Forgive me as it is rough and my first attempt, I know I will become more uniform and precise as I practice.

It was actually ALOT of fun, I'm really looking forward to when I get to try tooling with a knife and using the wood burning pen to darken ... It really made me think of the time and skill saddle makers used to put into their craft, I'm sure today's saddle components are done by machine, but back in the old west, those guys were super talented! Thank you for the kind words.

Stick with it and get some books. Springfield Leather is a good company with many talented individuals who have been helpful when I had questions. I man named Al Stohlman wrote a fair amount of books for those who work with leather, very helpful with plenty of great ideas for carving and stamping. good job and you are on your way.

Stinger4me":c7gvspdj said:
Stick with it and get some books.  Springfield Leather is a good company with many talented individuals who have been helpful when I had questions.  I man named Al Stohlman wrote a fair amount of books for those who work with leather, very helpful with plenty of great ideas for carving and stamping.  good job and you are on your way.
Thanks Stinger, will start looking for his books once I post this message

Looks just fine to me. Just remember to use the 3 p's. Patience, practice, and perseverance. You will only get better. The little bit of leather carving/stamping I've done was much simpler in exicution and if I remember correctly was very dependent on keeping the area you're working at the right moisture level. That there seems to be the biggest challenge too wet and you end up way to deep too dry and it doesn't want to hold the impression. It's certainly an enjoyable way to pass a cold day. I for one enjoy the smell of fresh leather while a fire is going with a cup of coffee and a pipe. Might be a bit of olfactory overload for some but for me it's bliss.

Jim