LEFT HANDED LIGHTER?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Reaction score
Just received a Vertigo pipe lighter I purchased recently. It seem like a good buy, besides my BIC was getting low so what the hell, I bought it.
After inspecting it I found several things that were a bit disappointing to me. One it's made for left-handers. I being grown up on Zippo's and reluctantly Bic's I strike a lighter using my right thumb. Well ya can't do that with a Vertigo, if ya do you have to turn it around in your hand to light your pipe. Try it if ya have one, I dare ya. Second the orifice is loose and spins around and if your not careful you'll light a digit. And finally the third, doesn't really matter but the built in tamper is way too short to use on any pipe with a bowl deeper then a 1 -1/4", that gives you a 1/4" to hold on to.
Oh, I could use it left handed but, why? It's uncomfortable and as many of you know or starting to know, I'm a bit set in my ways and things that may work for someone else don't always work for me. Just glad I didn't buy an Old Boy, although it's very unlikely because I've never spent that kind of money even on a pipe, so why should I light a $50 -$185 pipe with an almost $300 lighter? Anyway..........
What's your opinion on these Vertigo's?  

001-068-0100.jpg

JKenP":mp2dm2dy said:
I think this is probably my next lighter.

They sell an Old Boy clone too.

I use Vector butane in everything.  And these come with lifetime warranty.  Send them in and they send you a new one.
There clone looks exactly like the Vertigo and left handed.
I found a old Marxman butane lighter I forgot I had, and that's what I'm using from now on.

I really like the looks of the old boys and the clones but, just can't deal with the backwards ignitor.

* ya know our spell check here really sucks, I don't know how many correctly spelled words it's told me were wrong and I had to add to it.

I have one of these...i like it.

I flick the flint with my right thumb, and spin it around to light the pipe...doesn't really bother me, though. Never thought much of it...

PozzSka":wzn4vr4q said:
I have one of these...i like it.

I flick the flint with my right thumb, and spin it around to light the pipe...doesn't really bother me, though.  Never thought much of it...
Ah, I reckon when your as hard headed as I am and set in your ways it's just to dadburn hard to change. I like things to stay the same, change for me is like moving the furniture in a blind mans house.

Sorry about the inconvenience, Ron, but that's one of the things I love about the Old Boy and similar lighters - the fact that FOR ONCE, left-handed use is the standard, and right-handers have to learn to adapt to OUR WORLD! BWAHAHAHA! :twisted: 

Nothing personal. ;)

HCraven":ho3fvhbv said:
Sorry about the inconvenience, Ron, but that's one of the things I love about the Old Boy and similar lighters - the fact that FOR ONCE, left-handed use is the standard, and right-handers have to learn to adapt to OUR WORLD!  BWAHAHAHA! :twisted: 

Nothing personal. ;)
Dear Mr.Craven, I live in both camps because I'm a left handed rifle shooter.
When Winchester stopped making top eject my world was altered for ever having to contend with the ejected shells jet across my view. I only wish I had that rifle back.

Oh! And they call it the "RIGHT" way because calling it the left way just sounds silly!:lol!: 

I believe you are both right. All the roller lighters Dunhill rollalite, rollagas, im corona old boys magies and the rest were designed for right hand use as the roller was placed on the left hand side of the lighter as you look at it using the right thumb to move with the forward motion flicking the roller this worked great for all the roller lighters as they were originally designed for a vertical flame for cigarettes and cigars, the problem arose when Dunhill started inserting the angle flame nozzle which requires the user to hold the lighter at a downward angle instead of verticle. This may be getting to confusing. MIKE

Cartaphilus":jepgwvqe said:
HCraven":jepgwvqe said:
Sorry about the inconvenience, Ron, but that's one of the things I love about the Old Boy and similar lighters - the fact that FOR ONCE, left-handed use is the standard, and right-handers have to learn to adapt to OUR WORLD!  BWAHAHAHA! :twisted: 

Nothing personal. ;)
Dear Mr.Craven, I live in both camps because I'm a left handed rifle shooter.
When Winchester stopped making top eject my world was altered for ever having to contend with the ejected shells jet across my view. I only wish I had that rifle back.

Oh! And they call it the "RIGHT" way because calling it the left way just sounds silly!:lol!: 
I feel your pain, Ron. I actually do a lot of things right-handed myself, shooting included, which is good considering that my shotgun is a side ejector, too. I never had to force myself to learn to do anything right-handed, some things just feel more natural to me that way. I don't consider myself ambidextrous, either. I suppose that make me... ambigudextrous? :scratch: 

ambigudextrous?:scratch: 

Yeah...........What you said.......I think?????:lol!: 

I have to use both hands with my Old Boy. I solved that problem by using my Zippo pipe lighter. It's a right handed lighter requiring the use of either hand I choose.:lol!: 

AJ

@HCraven I am a righty with a left master eye. Shotguns are all I shoot left handed. The shells crossing to the right I don't even notice anymore. My .22 bolt action obviously gets shot right handed. I shoot match pistol right-handed as the sights are away from the eyes enough for the master eye to take over.

I confuse everybody with my shooting. :) Barreled fish in particular.

From the information my Tinder Box has given me, those Vector "old boy" clones are no longer made.  I've been wanting to track one down, because it's about the only Vector lighter I don't hear many problems about at that store.  They can't order them any longer.  Almost every worker there has one, and most of the older pipe crowd snagged one a few years ago.  They love them--especially for the price.

Meanwhile, I've also been told to stay away from Xikar, lifetime warranty or not.   Apparently that brand comes back as not-working at my TB more than any other.  

New production flint lighters are getting harder and harder to find, which is a shame.  Especially decent ones in the sub $50 category.

I love Vector butane. Cheap and even finicky lighters work well with the stuff.

Kyle Weiss":5mw5hjb5 said:
From the information my Tinder Box has given me, those Vector "old boy" clones are no longer made.  I've been wanting to track one down, because it's about the only Vector lighter I don't hear many problems about at that store.  They can't order them any longer.  Almost every worker there has one, and most of the older pipe crowd snagged one a few years ago.  They love them--especially for the price.

Meanwhile, I've also been told to stay away from Xikar, lifetime warranty or not.   Apparently that brand comes back as not-working at my TB more than any other.  

New production flint lighters are getting harder and harder to find, which is a shame.  Especially decent ones in the sub $50 category.

I love Vector butane.  Cheap and even finicky lighters work well with the stuff.
Kyle, I found mine on eBay for I think $21 and seen one yesterday there for $14.

JKenP":ocwdw3n0 said:
@HCraven I am a righty with a left master eye.  Shotguns are all I shoot left handed.  The shells crossing to the right I don't even notice anymore.   My .22 bolt action obviously gets shot right handed.  I shoot match pistol right-handed as the sights are away from the eyes enough for the master eye to take over.

I confuse everybody with my shooting. :) Barreled fish in particular.
Now there's no way i hell I can fire a rifle of any sort right handed. Tried it once, that dog don't hunt.
Pistols are different.

Cartaphilus":7mxprpm6 said:
Kyle, I found mine on eBay for I think $21 and seen one yesterday there for $14.
I can barely afford to pay attention these days. :mrgreen:

Good to know they're still floating around.

No thanks I keep generously stock up on right handed ones.

Reminds me of a joke about a certain carpenter that was hanging wood shingles on the side of a house and his boss was watching him take nails out of his pouch, looking at them and then throwing them over his shoulder.
The boss approached him and asked, "Why in hell are you throwing those nails away for!"
The carpenter replies, "well boss, the heads of these nails are all on the wrong end."
The boss looks at him with disgust and says " You idiot, you can use them on the other side of the house!"