Lesser known treasures?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey422

Reaction score
I'd like to start a thread about tobaccos that you don't hear a lot about that are really fine smokes. Maybe we can get some ideas for our next TAD order. I'll start out:

C&D #416 Plantation Evening- GREAT medium English
Peretti's British Blend- same reason
Peretti's Park Square- my all-time favorite VA/Per
H&H Old Tartan- great burley with deer tongue
H&H Distinguished Penguin-wonderful Scottish blend
H&H Ten to Midnight- superior Balkan blend
Just For Him's Golden Cashmere- another great VA/Per
Boswell's Magnum Blend-superb light English
Boswell's No Bite Delite- Dan is known for his great aromatics and this is one of them
Pipeworks&Wilke Nut Brown Burley-wonderful burley blend
Pipeworks&Wilke Vermont Maple Cavendish- fantastic aromatic

What's on your list?

Smokey

Great idea! Of course everyone knows which hyped blends to try... But blends without hype that are deserving of it are not only readily available, they might be just as good if not better than some of the stuff everyone goes nuts for.

Sadly, I don't have many blends to recommend that aren't talked about a whole lot.

C&D Red Carpet is a superb red VA flake with Izmir and perique. I never really hear people rave about it though. It's overshadowed by opening night and Sunday picnic which are great blends as well

Peter Heinrichs Curly is awesome stuff. I know Muddler agrees! Maybe it's not wise to let others in on this sleeper... Could instigate a shortage! ;)

I would include Germains Brown flake because it doesn't seem to get mentioned much but curiously enough, it is always sold out on most online retailers...hmm...

I'm looking forward to other brother's posts

s.ireland":ujn936jt said:
C&D Red Carpet is a superb red VA flake with Izmir and perique. I never really hear people rave about it though. It's overshadowed by opening night and Sunday picnic which are great blends as well
That sentence right there contains three of my favorites.

smokey422":b6370lfn said:
I'd like to start a thread about tobaccos that you don't hear a lot about that are really fine smokes. Maybe we can get some ideas for our next TAD order. I'll start out:

What in the world is deer tounge and what does it taste like?

Todd

I'm enjoying some Boswells "Magnum" right now. Easily my favorite blend and reasonably priced. I get 6 oz at a pop (about $25). Everytime I open a new tin (Solanie, Sobranie, OGS, FVF, etc.), I think that the Magnum is preferred and a bowl confirms that hunch. Enjoy your selection, I'm curious to hear your comments.

taharris":8emf8zoy said:
smokey422":8emf8zoy said:

What in the world is deer tounge and what does it taste like?

Todd

www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/deer_tongue/deertong.htm

C&Ds Bayou Night doesn't get much press--a decent blend

nor does C&Ds Mountain Camp; which in my opinion is a good thing!! :no:

I sorta did this with another thread after not finding many who had tried Brebbia Balkan! This one I would call "under-hyped" but VERY worthy for all to try!