Let Congress Know your Opposition to Pipe Tobacco Tax

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love that you guys across the pond rally together with such things, and you actually win many of your battles for rights, that is so awesome. If we tried to oppose a new taxation here in the UK our Politicians would at most raise and eyebrow with a facial expression which would be best described as "who farted", good luck guyls and gals. :) :heart:

My contribution --

I oppose S. 194 ("A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax rate parity") because...I've smoked a pipe for forty years, and at last year's checkup, my PA said I have the HR and BP "of a high school kid." (Her phrase.) Pipe smokers and cigar smokers (I guess, I only smoke cigars to celebrate births) don't inhale and don't crave nicotine. Personally, I avoid pipe tobacco blends that are nicotine heavy, because I don't care for them. I've gone on vacation, forgotten my pipe smoker's kit bag and gotten through the intermission with absolutely no nicotine withdrawal effects. In short -- pipes and cigars are used differently than cigs, and it is mistaken to claim that lumping all tobacco products together in one category establishes "parity." I urge you to celebrate the arrival of Spring by loading a corn cob with a mild, sweetly nutty English blend and spend 20-minutes relaxing and enjoying the next 20 minutes or so. Please do not join the meddling lemmings who are determined to be a plague and pestilence on their peace-loving neighbors.

The count is running 93% against this proposed change. My note of protest:

I oppose S. 194 ("A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax rate parity") because I believe it will have a net negative influence on the economy. I am a pipe smoker and have never used cigarettes. I am a member of an online community of pipe smokers, most of whom do not live near a local tobacconist. As was shown with the taxes on luxury boats etc. a number of years ago and more recently the increase in tax on cigarettes, a significant tax added to the cost of pipe tobacco is most likely to result in lower total tax revenue for the government. This in turn will also result in layoffs and possible closing of the small businesses that sell pipe tobacco, further reducing tax revenue and possibly adding to the rolls of the unemployed. Pipe and cigarette tobaccos are totally different products and used employing different techniques. There is no need for "parity." With the expected net negative impact of this proposed change I urge you to vote no when it comes up for a vote.

I oppose S. 194 ("A bill to amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to provide tax rate parity") because I am a pipe smoker and have enjoyed this hobby for more than 40 years. My father and grandfather smoked pipes as do my sons. I smoke a pipe ONLY, do not inhale the smoke, have no nicotine addiction, no heart, lung, throat or gum issues, and I am told by my physician to be in good health. I do not smoke daily and ofttimes go for a week or more without a pipe when time does not permit. There are many small brick and mortar businesses that would be affected by this bill and many more pipe smokers. Please do not lump pipe smokers in with cigarette users... there is a marked difference in the two.

Thank you for your consideration and your service to your constituents.

:elephant: