Lets See Some Pictures Of your Mortas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeDragon

Reaction score
Since its Spring Break for school, I decided to do a little "catchup" on the board to see whats what. While doing so, it seemed like a lot of people were either getting Mortas or had just got one.

Because of this, I thought it would be a cool idea to have everyone who has one to post pics of them and who there carver is. (It would also help people thinking about getting one to see the different styles etc that are out there too) :D

Heres mine below:

The top two are from Todd Harris and the bottom ones are from Chris Askwith (left bottom) and Davorin Denovic (right bottom)

morta110.jpg
[/url][/img]

morta210.jpg
[/url][/img]

My latest purchase from Chris Askwith, a volcano sitter, should be here in 10 days I should think.

8576971307_583168f052_z.jpg

First Morta from Tom Richard on the left and second from Moretti on the right

8568648299_787ba0c481_c.jpg

Have one on commission with Rad Davis and will eventually add a Becker.

Sure, I'll play.

My two Todd Harris mortas...

Cherrywood (aka "bent poker"):

6496016449_79255ee53f_b.jpg

Paneled Lovat:

6894595761_f198d934e6_b.jpg

8)

Are those mortas pretty heavy? I've never held one. And the talbert beta fish and the davorin are quite nice too!

Nope, the Richard weighs approx 2 1/2 ozs and the Moretti just over 2 3/4 ozs.

Y'all keep posting all these gorgeous pipes, I'm developing a Morta fever! :twisted:

Squat tomato morta churchwarden by our own Todd Harris

06522410.jpg
[/url][/img]

Great pics! :D

And,

RonA3597":9sz5hliy said:
Y'all keep posting all these gorgeous pipes, I'm developing a Morta fever! :twisted:
LOL, its alot like Meer fever but only darker! :evil: :twisted:

Hiram-2011":ijz2550z said:
Chris Askwith carved morta bulldog.

My heart skipped a beat on that bulldog. Those lines are light-speed. :cheers:

Back at the ranch, I actually let Todd Harris have his creative way with those mortas. I didn't have some heavy hand making him create a Weisspipe of proper poise, he just... nailed it. They're classy, weird and a little flashy just in the right way. I can't complain.

Morta isn't any heavier than briar by my reckon and examples, but that depends on how it is carved, I'd guess. It is a little denser, so big chunks are gonna be heavier. Briar seems to vary between super light, I've a few briars that are shockingly featherweight, and others that feel like stone. Morta gets a little warmer to the touch because of the density, and I don't believe it has the same moisture-wicking capability of briar. It is tough, solid, needs little external care, and always looks nice. The flavors go particularly well with Latakia.

I appreciate this random Morta Love thread, y'all have some choice specimens. If I get another, it'll likely be my last, only because briar seems to be more flexible with my Virginias. Askwith may have to make me a nice little bulldog or a prince to see how some high-octane ropes do in morta.

I think anyone serious about pipes should have at least one morta in their collection. It's such hard stuff to carve, from what I hear, they may be pricey, but rest assured you're gonna get a great, well-made pipe.

8)

Kyle Weiss":v3cepn3u said:
Hiram-2011":v3cepn3u said:
Chris Askwith carved morta bulldog.

My heart skipped a beat on that bulldog. Those lines are light-speed. :cheers:

Back at the ranch, I actually let Todd Harris have his creative way with those mortas. I didn't have some heavy hand making him create a Weisspipe of proper poise, he just... nailed it. They're classy, weird and a little flashy just in the right way. I can't complain.

Morta isn't any heavier than briar by my reckon and examples, but that depends on how it is carved, I'd guess. It is a little denser, so big chunks are gonna be heavier. Briar seems to vary between super light, I've a few briars that are shockingly featherweight, and others that feel like stone. Morta gets a little warmer to the touch because of the density, and I don't believe it has the same moisture-wicking capability of briar. It is tough, solid, needs little external care, and always looks nice. The flavors go particularly well with Latakia.

I appreciate this random Morta Love thread, y'all have some choice specimens. If I get another, it'll likely be my last, only because briar seems to be more flexible with my Virginias. Askwith may have to make me a nice little bulldog or a prince to see how some high-octane ropes do in morta.

I think anyone serious about pipes should have at least one morta in their collection. It's such hard stuff to carve, from what I hear, they may be pricey, but rest assured you're gonna get a great, well-made pipe.

8)

Just waiting for the right one to come along and beguile me.

Cheers,

RR

I love those Il Duca mortas! Todd Harris and Chris Askwith also makes some superb morta pipes.

This thread made me really want a morta pipe, but after I saw the prices I had to reconsider. I did, however, buy two blocks of morta to make a couple pipes out of! I'm soooo exited!