Lets See Some Pictures Of your Mortas

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ocelot, from what I understand, it's like working with stone, so be prepared. Plus I hear sanding and cutting the stuff makes for...interesting smells... :lol: I mean it's been percolating in rot, fish crap and dead things for a few millennia, so... :lol!:

...Todd probably is the least expensive "finished pipe" option, and you'll get no shortage of quality or craftsmanship from the guy.

8)

Kyle Weiss":4bzvaozz said:
Ocelot, from what I understand, it's like working with stone, so be prepared. Plus I hear sanding and cutting the stuff makes for...interesting smells... :lol: I mean it's been percolating in rot, fish crap and dead things for a few millennia, so... :lol!:

...Todd probably is the least expensive "finished pipe" option, and you'll get no shortage of quality or craftsmanship from the guy.

8)
I've heard the same thing. It is called "bog" oak after all.

Morta seems much more expensive than briar. The block I bought was 3 X 3 X 1 13/16. After shipping its about $30 a block, enough for a small to medium sized pipe. That partially explains why morta pipes are so expensive.

Good luck with it, plenty of pictures and stories for us, see-voo-play. :D

My only Morta, a 19th century Victorian era Irish bog oak cauldron pipe, and also a bog oak match holder.....

DSC00325_zpse7119c31.jpg

DSC00327_zps221833e7.jpg

I have had deep envy for that il duca for a long time. :D Just love the stem and the proportions.

i.keenum":jn8pllew said:
I have had deep envy for that il duca for a long time. :D Just love the stem and the proportions.
That pipe seems to be a real eye catcher, and the stem color is a main reason
for it's appeal, apparently. It certainly attracted me. I used to see these Il Duca
nose warmer bulldogs fairly regularly, but never again with the green Cumberland stem, unfortunately.

Hey Dutch, that cauldron pipe is amazing!

Thanks guys! I got it for a really low price considering it's age, as well as the fact that it is unsmoked. I should have probably already posted it on the vintage tobacciania thread.

Well, this thread aggravated my PAD something fierce. I spent some time looking at morta pipes online. Seems like a new one, if you can find it, averages about $350. There's no way I could afford to do that, so, as any good self respecting pipemaker would, I decided to buy some morta (not easy to find) and make my own.

I should be finished this week, but here is a teaser until that time:

morta1_zps32f1fbad.jpg

I don't know what Todd is asking in regard to morta pipes these days, but I didn't pay $350 a pop for 'em. ;) He's quite reasonable. Otherwise I would have skipped the idea.

Looks like a good shape coming along, O.

That's an awsome looking wood. Really like the blasted look on a few of them. Going to have to see if Blackforest Hardwoods has any next time i'm in the city. Looks like this stuff would make nice knife handles. Are there any toxicity problems with this wood for pipes ?

My only morta:
P1150164.jpg

Length: 5"
Height: 1.75"
Bowl Dia.: 1.38"
Chamber Dia.: .75"
Chamber Depth: 1.45"
Weight: 38g/1.3oz

It came from Nate King.