Let's see those Akubras

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
For those of us into hats, the hat's made by the Akubra hat Co. in Australia are the true "water the horse, fan the fire" production all fur felt hat made today. I've worn 'em since I got my first one at David Morgans up in Seattle back in '72. ( he still sells 'em) Here's three of my 12 Akubra's I own. I wear these three the most in the Fur Felt weather ( it's Panama weather down here now  :p )
First is my 30 yo Bushman after I just got it back from it's third clng. and blkg in this time:

Next is my Campdraft I've had for about ten years now"

Last is one of my Squatters, a brown that I got about five years ago.

Al you need now are some Alden Indy boots (Indiana Jones) and a leather jacket :)

It seems that every time someone starts a thread like this (let's see those...) I don't own any of the ____. But I end up posting anyway. This one's no different; I don't own any Akubra hats (and I'm jealous; they're FINE lookin' hats!), but I do love hats just the same, so here are a few of my favorites...

A tweed walking hat, made in Ireland in bought in 1970 or so from Norm Thompson of Portland, Oregon, back when they were really something. Sadly, they've gone the way of Abercrombie & Fitch, Eddie Bauer, and even Banana Republic; companies that started out offering unique and quality goods and now are no different than all the other "mall" clothing stores. Monbla may remember the real Norm Thompson; he seems to have some history with that part of the country.

A felt hat from Eddie Bauer, probably bought in the 70’s. Nothing special; story similar to above.

A smaller brimmed Tilley, bought new in Toronto; don't remember when. I love this hat!

This is just a no-name cheapie from Dillard’s, but for some reason I really like this hat!

My "dress" hat, a Royal Stetson “Gun Club” with pheasant feather band, from the '80's, maybe? Hard to remember.

And last but not least, my Hemingway Hat; a long billed Filson Tin Cloth, the ultimate fishing hat!

EA71D0BE-D291-4AAD-A298-070DE2E7DB3A-2212-00000423BE33AB73_zps38636154.jpg

Not sure of the model but definitely the best hat I've owned!

Jim

I remember the old A&F store on Wabash in Chicago. What a great place for "gentlemen" of the day. Of course, I headed for the 5th floor to drool on their bamboo fly rods at at such astronomical prices -- maybe $175. LOL

I got mine in the early '70s, when I was packing the Olympics alot (it rained all the time!).  It was an Australian Defence Force issue, (made of wild rabbit felt, and boy, do they have wild rabbits in Australia!) but I pulled off the clip for the "side up" look, reshaped the crown, and put on my own hat band.  It's been on just about every major backpacking and canoeing trip I've been on over the past four decades.  

However, I think it looks better on the log stump outside our cabin up in the Porcupine Mountains, hey?

I'm amazed. I didn't think anyone else around here ever knew what an Akubra WAS. I've got 4 - 5 (if I can find 'em all). I've got a black Banjo, a Coolabah (with the gator band), a Townsman, a Federation and one other that's a lot like a Fed. I took the snake band off the Patterson and put it on the Fed and mostly wear that just kickin' around.

I have a couple of others in the closet...my two favorites being a couple of customs from Art Fawcett (if you know hats you should now be gasping in lustful awe)...one charcoal grey with matching band and one ivory that has a to die for reverse taper that I commissioned after watching William Powell in The Thin Man one too many times. Man...those Fawcett beavers are something else.

Art's website is "Vintage Silhouettes" or something close. Check out his work online, or go to a movie set in the 30's orv40's...the hats the guys are wearing are likely his.

Here's some more of my Akubra's:

One of my Stylemasters:

Another Stylemaster this one in the Acorn Fawn color:

Here's a Black Squater:

And a Moonstone ( light grey) Squater :

And lastly a Carbon Grey Sydney:

ILIKE Akubra's   :santa: :santa: