Lets talk McC grey havens and deep hollow

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
I have a tin of each in my cellar and contemplating on opening them. It has been 20 years since I had them and quite foggy in taste. Can't remember if they are cased heavily or at all. I usually dedicate my pipes to Lat blends while others I dedicate to Va and va/per blends. I don't often smoke aros so I don't have a pipe dedicated to them as of yet other than a cob. So what do you guys think of these blends?

I don't think of them at all, apparently, as your query jogged me into remembering I have several tins of both aging away in the dark recesses of my tobacco cache. They are both great McClelland blends, with not an iota of aromatic topping as I remember. Could be wrong. Think one does have perique, if not both. Too lazy to look.

No toppings. no Perique, not anywhere near being Aros. Just some more excellent McC's straight Va blend/mixtures! :twisted:

Hmmph. I just visited Tobacco Reviews and both are listed as aromatics. Man, if they're aromatics they're really light aromatics, not at all like the usual stuff. Proceed accordingly. You're on your own. Every man for himself, etc.

Deep Hollow definitely seems to have a topping of some kind. I get apple and perhaps some vanilla. It's not heavy, but it's there.

Richard Burley":a3fruvjx said:
Hmmph. I just visited Tobacco Reviews and both are listed as aromatics. Man, if they're aromatics they're really light aromatics, not at all like the usual stuff. Proceed accordingly. You're on your own. Every man for himself, etc.
They also say there is no flavoring in either. Many times straight Va blend/mixtures are thought of as Aro's due to to the sweetness of the Va's. :twisted: :twisted: I've smoked both over the years and would say NEITHER is an Aro in any way !! Not as I'm used to Aro's. :twisted: :twisted:

I recently got a tin of Deep Hollow from a brother here dated 2013. Of course, I opened it right up and got into it. Research revealed to me it was a blend that had something to do with Hobbitown. OK, whatever............

I smelled apple. Like green apple. (No ketchup) It is described overall as an aromatic on other sites, and I have to agree. However, it is not some heavily PG laden Burley/Cavendish concoction one would be inclined to eat rather than smoke. The contents of the tin were a tad damp, but not so much I felt obligated to dry it.

As I smoked it, I had a minor dread lurking in the back of my hat rack (head) that this blend might ghost my pipe. So far, I have not noticed any residual effects. I enjoy it as a morning smoke while enjoying tea or coffee, though the coffee seems to subdue the zesty sweetness. I think it would make a great hot weather smoke.

I don't get into it often. I did however buy another tin as a backup. So, I like it!

Grey Havens I have not tried.............

I too get the apple flavor from Deep Hollow. If I had to choose a straight VA from McClelland's Canterbury series, I'd go with Virginia Woods.

Grey Havens is pretty nice to smoke. It does contain a bit of perique, but I believe it's mostly burley & VA. It's quite mild. I have a honking blasted Knute freehand pipe and Grey Havens is the perfect kind of blend to smoke in it as long as I have 2+ hours to kill.

DrumsAndBeer":rc9o6xiv said:
I too get the apple flavor from Deep Hollow. If I had to choose a straight VA from McClelland's Canterbury series, I'd go with Virginia Woods.

Grey Havens is pretty nice to smoke. It does contain a bit of perique, but I believe it's mostly burley & VA. It's quite mild. I have a honking blasted Knute freehand pipe and Grey Havens is the perfect kind of blend to smoke in it as long as I have 2+ hours to kill.
This is what McC says is in Grey Havens :   "A lightly fragrant blend of Burleys and matured Virginias give McClelland's Grey Havens a rich taste of fine natural tobaccos subtly enhanced with a mellow and pleasing fragrance."  Where do you find ANY reference to Perique in this blend?  I've NEVER tasted ANY Perique in it myself, just the normal spicey/ sweet found in Red Va's. :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":0zpouijr said:
This is what McC says is in Grey Havens :   "A lightly fragrant blend of Burleys and matured Virginias give McClelland's Grey Havens a rich taste of fine natural tobaccos subtly enhanced with a mellow and pleasing fragrance."  Where do you find ANY reference to Perique in this blend?  I've NEVER tasted ANY Perique in it myself, just the normal spicey/ sweet found in Red Va's. :twisted: :twisted:
A bit tough read the font, but right on their webpage..

http://mcclellandtobacco.com/page-1717905

DrumsAndBeer":2pte69ln said:
monbla256":2pte69ln said:
A bit tough read the font, but right on their webpage..

http://mcclellandtobacco.com/page-1717905
That's not what is on the tin of it I have in front of me. I quoted what was on the tin. I've never tasted any Perique in it when I smoked it. JMHO :twisted: