Lighter Reviews Anyone?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhuggett":0n68vu0k said:
I have a Lotus pipe lighter that I like. It has an electronic ignition that lights every time, a side angled flame and built in tamper (which also works great to let out existing fuel when prior to refilling). It's weighted very well. I have had to play around with fuel with it and it seems to like the larger bottles for some reason.
I have the very same Lotus lighter and I love it for indoor use. My two gripes are that it's a butane hog, and the piezo refuses to light in even the slightest breeze.

(It also burnt off a guy's eyelash when he tried to light a cig with it, but that's because he didn't believe me when I told him, "Dude, it lights sideways." And he's kind of a dick anyway, so I don't consider it a fault of the lighter.)

My Oldboy is still my go-to, indoors or out.

For Christmas I got an Old Boy from my girlfriend (BIG points!)... I REALLY like it, thought I can't speak for its durability. If you get one, do not get the all black one like I did. It is matte black, and when you lay it down, it is hard to see/find it. It would be VERY easy to lose or misplace. They come it several different finishes that look a little friendlier as far as finding it in a candle lit room... overall, so far, this lighter is so good that my smoking enjoyment has actually increased!

My wife got me a black matte Old Boy for Valentine's and I love that thing. I had been using matches, but those don't work well when you're outside where I live (wind blows 30+ mph almost every day!). This has really increased my smoking enjoyment because I'm not fighting with matches or trying to puff too fast to keep it lit.

Oh, and she also got me a G.L. Pease Maltese Falcon coffee mug from CafePress. I was going to link it for you guys, but I can't seem to find it there anymore. Maybe Greg took it down. :scratch:

Well I purchased an Old Boy about a month ago and I love it so far. I only use it at home. The biggest obstacle to overcome for me was local availability of good butane and Corona flints. Ended up ordering several years supply of each online. Love the way the Old Boy looks and works. I do treat it carefully.

Got one of the Corona "Pipe Master" lighters today. So far, so good: 90 degree flame, big butane capacity, tamper built into the foot. Fits my hand perfectly. Haven't tried it outside yet, but it seem to be designed so as to be fairly windproof even though it's a piezo ignition. Slightly taller than the Old Boy, but similar footprint and maybe a bit less weight. If it's a windproof as it seems, it'll get a lot of good use.

I have a couple lighters that are good workers

A Zippo pipe lighter its great outside in the wind lights every time

A Nibo pipe lighter its two years old and still lights every time the fuel doesnt last long in it though It probably has a small tank

a Imco they last about a year but for the price it not bad it lights every time

A Xikar pipeline I bought a week ago
The weight is good and heavy seems like its well made it lights every time and so far as I have used it to light everything and have put it through its paces I have yet to refill it

It seems like it may be a good one and the lifetime garantee is a good thing

Zippo. I don't notice the taste. I wouldn't leave a Zippo anywhere for occasional use as the fluid evaporates within a week, maybe less for some lighters. I have a couple of Old Boys but like the Zippos better, preferring the softer flame and the smooth pocket feel. I have a few cheapo butane lighters scattered about in case I happen to be out and run out of fuel with the Zippo.

I have a Nimrod somewhere, but it's bulkier than the Zippo, doesn't light as well, and a fill evaporates after a day or two.

Jack

Believe it or not I'm having a tough time trying to get Zippo fuel/flued for mine. I am going to have to travel across town to one of the pipe shops and see if they have some. Butane fuel is no problem, go figure. In Phoenix Arizona.

Wooden matches work great for me, it just causes alot of excess clean up on my deck and in my garage.

I also have a tiny little Prince Dolphin that I absolutely adore. (it takes a minute to get used to using it without dropping it) It's a very old-fashion flint flame butane lighter. I like it for many reasons. It has a very high range in flame adjustment. So to get into those deep bowls, I don't fear scorching my pipe. The price was very good too, ($19) It's also built like a tank. It's also got a neat little window that is orange/red when it is full and turns white when it is empty. I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. It also gets quite a few comments when I'm in a shop or out in public and use it.

http://www.magic25filter.com/prince_stainless_steel_ivory_lighter_dp_500iv.html

This website says its discontinued, so I'd recommend finding one while you get the chance.

If not that, Zippos and bics work for me.

I tried the Zippos too but didnt like the odor they left.Then I tried disposables but found that they werent reliable.I picked up an Old Boy clone,a Nibo, from my local tobacco shop for $30.Its very reliable,lights on the first turn of the striker and looks good too.But most of the time I stick with matches,most people are too lazy to strike a match and I dont have to worry about someone trying to walk off with them.