Lighter vs. Matches Poll

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacko

Reaction score
Folks

I'm interested in hearing your preference between lighter or matches and why? If you use a lighter what kind is it?

I'm a matches guy. Funny, cause I always carry my Zippo, and never have matches on my person although I have them in my pipe case. I just prefer to use a wooden match and let it burn off for a few seconds before touching it to the tobacco.

The only time I use matches is when I can't find one of my lighters. I have or have tried about all the pipe lighters available. The Old Boy is my favorite.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":h4998ib0 said:
The only time I use matches is when I can't find one of my lighters. I have or have tried about all the pipe lighters available. The Old Boy is my favorite.

Jim
Me too. Old Boy.

Prefer this to matches because I feel it reduces rim charring, and it works better for deep relights.

Lotus_vertigo_reach.jpg

I prefer matches but I'm lazy enough to default to a zippo or bic most of the time. A good Swan Vesta, burnt off, drawn deeply into the bowl, seems to provide greater heat. My best smokes (no relights in this case) come from an initial match.

ruraldean":c51im2or said:
I prefer matches but I'm lazy enough to default to a zippo or bic most of the time. A good Swan Vesta, burnt off, drawn deeply into the bowl, seems to provide greater heat. My best smokes (no relights in this case) come from an initial match.
If we could only get those Vesta matches in the USA, you could name your own price from many pipe smokers!

For me, lighters were the norm during my cig days.

After moving to Cigars and now with my pipes, it's Wooden Matches all the way (easy on the pipe and cheep too).

Enjoy, John.

Matches... unless I'm out of them then I'm not above using a BIC. Zippo's? I just hate that inital lighter fluid taste the first puff or three.

Just like Boulder, I was all about lighters when it came to cigars, a Lotus for the ones that are purely tobacco, and a Scripto for those more inexpensive ones that have "helper" additives.

Matches for my pipes. Now that my stockpile of freebie vanity matches from all my past cigar purchases have finally been exhausted, I bought a box of Fire Chief strike-on-box kitchen matches, and no complaints so far.

Time for my newbie question. If you use a lighter that doesn't shoot a flame out the side, how do you handle the pipe? Basically, do you tip the pipe over on its side or even upside down, and rely on the tightness of the packing to keep the tobacco from falling out? If not, how far do you tip the lighter?

I love using matches to light my pipes (only wooden). But I also have a pipe lighter that I use when I'm out working in the yard. The one thing I dont like about my pipe lighter is that it's very temperamental and only lights when it feels like it :cry:

I use a Corona roller type lighter and can tell no difference in taste when compared to a match(I allow it to burn a bit). I only use high quality 5x filtered butane.

I like that Jetline - very nice lighter.
I have a zippo pipe lighter - that is nice, but is very temperamental, and like others have said, only works when it wants too.
I use matches 90 percent of the time, unless I get to the bottem of the bowl, and I have a little bit left , then I usually pull out a 2$ Djeep lighter, out of all the cheapy lighters - Ive found the Djeeps to work the best, and last the longest, in my own personal experience.

When I'm out and about I carry a couple of the mini Bic's, and when I'm at home I use a Colibri Connaught II.

Colibri.jpg

The Jetline pipe lighter is a very nice lighter for $25 bucks...buy yes it can be tempermental. The one thing I really like about it is the built in pipe tools, one less thing you have to carry around with you.