Lighting question

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertpiper

Reaction score
Howdy folks. The question I have is about lighting your pipe. I keep getting tongue and I think that a lot of that comes from lighting my pipe. Getting the tobacco to hot. So How do you get a good light without getting the heat to your tongue?

Getting tongue, eh? :cyclops: :lol: Lucky dog.

You're truly getting tongue burn from lighting, huh? Are you packing too tightly then overcompensating by drawing way too much as you light?

I tend to light with a couple long, slow draws, and then stop, puff on it for a while, then relight if necessary. At least until there's a good amount of carbon on top. Then I do what I refer to as "first tamp," which I very gently flatten all the curled pieces of bacca and let the ash fill in the gaps. At that point, lighting is effortless. *shrug* Moisture content, cut and packing method all variables in this case--adapt or die. :lol:

I do a pretty much the same thing when lighting. And I pack pretty loose, when I pull air in there is virtually no resistance. Maybe I'm packing too loose.

I was thinking that initially, but it's not as common to pack too lose by mistake. I know when I have a mix/blend that's ribbon cut I tend to automatically pack more as if I'm smoking my chunky/flake stuff, and regret it later--very hot, moist smokes at times. I have no idea how I gravitated toward more chunky bacca, but I gotta watch myself with anything else. :lol:

Sure, try tightening up your pack a little and give the draw a little resistance, and as always, go longer, slower draws to light, and you should be alright.

After decades (sorry Kyle, facts is facts :) ) of lighting various types of 'bac I've found that if you truly "char" the tobacco, no reall drawing on it, that is on top, let it curl and rise, THEN tamp it down and apply the lighting match with just the lightest of "breathes" I get NO BITE on my tongue and find the tobacco will stay lit better as well. This takes longer and is harder with moister tobacco and some cuts but with some varience ths method has worked for me all these years . :p

Advice : don't fight it. It isn't a contest that you can win. If the first two or three lights don't "take" (and they likely won't, depending on the tobacco &c.), don't huff it to MAKE it keep going. Let it do what it wants to do. And let it cool ALL the way down between lights. When it does "take," you're in the right zone. For a while. Just co-operate with it. Enjoy the best it offers you when it does.

:face:

You folks have given me some good advice. I'll put it to good use tonight. Thanks a bunch.

Yak":kb93y460 said:
Advice : don't fight it. It isn't a contest that you can win. If the first two or three lights don't "take" (and they likely won't, depending on the tobacco &c.), don't huff it to MAKE it keep going. Let it do what it wants to do. And let it cool ALL the way down between lights. When it does "take," you're in the right zone. For a while. Just co-operate with it. Enjoy the best it offers you when it does.

Best advice I've ever heard.

williamcharles":9j8xdkcz said:
Yak":9j8xdkcz said:

Best advice I've ever heard.
Can't argue there. 8) Fighting your tobacco will always make the smoker lose. I've tried. I lost. :lol:

check out the SmokingPipes.com newsletter from last week, they had an excellent article on lighting the pipe and not ruining it. Those tips will also keep tongue bite at bay. For myself, it was all about experience. Knowing how to pack each pipe and blend. I use matches whenever I can. Low temp, less heat, less pipe damage and tongue issues. After a year of smoking a pipe, I marveled to myself that I can't recall the last time I had tongue bite. So, be patient with the pipe and yourself, practice makes perfect.

Yak's advice, as well as Kyle's and Monbla's are all solid.
I've found that a positive side affect of not wanting to char the rims of my pipes is that I tend to not hold the flame to the tobacco for too long, which also ends up avoiding the associated heat and tongue burn.

Yak":evprxcwd said:

Best advice I've read in a while!!

Harlock999":tgj2xxmo said:
I've found that a positive side affect of not wanting to char the rims of my pipes is that I tend to not hold the flame to the tobacco for too long, which also ends up avoiding the associated heat and tongue burn.
That's actually a really good point. I am very careful about "rim burn" and try my best to time my draws with the flame, and have the flame directed at the tobacco--not the briar. Length of time is also important. I don't mind a little darkening that kind of fades from the inside to the outer part of the rim, but I simply don't want those burn marks I've seen some guys develop from always lighting the same way/angle and charring briar.

I can't lie...I kinda like the look of a charred rim. I know it's supposed to be kind of a no-no, but I think it gives pipes a certain "well used" character. But that's just me!

I know when I first started, real flavorful aromatics and, basically anything with flavor ruined my tongue. So my local shop had a popular golden cavendish with a pretty neutral flavor and after smoking that I was able to move all over the place. Also some pipes are just gonna plane stink until you find the right tobacco for that pipe. It sucks but I found that out the hard way.

I am very careful about "rim burn" and try my best to time my draws with the flame, and have the flame directed at the tobacco--not the briar. Length of time is also important.
Suggestion : bounce the lighter. Down when you draw, back up afterward.

Yak":p2899jrz said:
I am very careful about "rim burn" and try my best to time my draws with the flame, and have the flame directed at the tobacco--not the briar. Length of time is also important.
Suggestion : bounce the lighter. Down when you draw, back up afterward.

Great tip, I just dip and light, letting the flame kiss the tobacco, than away.

Very helpful posts in here!

But

dougc905":xcdzd8uh said:
Also, keep your tongue out of the smoke stream when lighting.
How would you do that if you're not smoking a P-Lip?

It's hard to describe, but think of what happens to us poor guys when you take a dip into some pretty cold water. It knows how to duck for cover.

Yeah, that.

8)