Lightweight, Small Bowl Suggestions?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpkrause

Reaction score
I do not own a Stanwell Featherweight, but I too have looked over them a few times. I have heard the same thing as you that the stain rubs off but from what I have heard this only happens for a short bit while it is new and eventually that stops. I have handled these personally at a local B&M and attempted to rub stain off the pipe... nothing came off. Perhaps it needed to be warm for this to happen. Who knows. I don't know what that says for the pipe itself if both of us have heard this...... It would not however be a deal breaker for me as after hearing this as well I still look on them from time to time thinking of pulling the trigger.

Stanwell seems to have a pretty good reputation though with many people putting them above Savinelli, of course there are also many people putting Sav over Stan so really that means nothing......

Either way it is a cheaper pipe overall in their line up and I suppose a few flaws as listed is to be expected. For the price, if you're generally interested in it, understand that the pipe is indeed a small one, and are willing to deal with some stain rub for the first few pipes I say go for it. I bet that little pipe would smoke a coin of Escudo wonderfully.

I'm a straight pipe kind of guy so the 239 shape in the Tan finish is the one that interests me the most. Followed by the 202 in Tan as well.

It may be worth mentioning that all the incidents of stain rub that I have heard of all come from the Red stain'd pipes.

Just me .02 for whatever it's worth.

My smaller lightweight pipes are a Stanwell Nana Ivarsson 3 (Sandblast can be seen here: http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=PM-PSWN3N-Q) with a smaller bowl and my Askwith Featherweight billiard:
ueCCv.jpg

The NI3 has a nice smaller bowl. You can find the NI3 here and there, whereas the Askwith would require a commission.

I have a little GBD Prehistoric Prince that I truly enjoy.

On the other hand, a Washington cob, my first, is still the lightest and best "small smoke" I own. :cheers: It was four whole dollars.

8)

I have two small briar pipes in my collection, a Stanwell Featherweight and a Peterson Barrel or "Tankard." I like them both, but I favor the Stanwell. It has the red stain & I have had zero problems with the stain running. It's a perfect pipe for VA flakes too. For a small pipe the Stanwell smokes cooler and has slightly thicker walls. The Peterson gets a bit hot even when practicing good pipe technique, hence the P-Lip bit.

DrumsAndBeer":dgu036z9 said:
Peterson Barrel or "Tankard."
This! Only because Pete doesn't make too many poker shapes, and I happen to like the p-lip, I've discovered. They aren't very expensive, either. Truthfully, I may get one at some point--if you decide you don't like your Pete, in other words, let me know... :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. That is an amazing Askwithe. I just ordered a pipe from Askwithe. The transaction was so pleasant, I may have to do it again for something like this.

My brother doesn't smoke cigs but wants to try the briar. I suggested a Peterson Barrel or even the small Clabash. My first and to date only pipe is a Peterson Aran #80 and it's brilliant.
Am looking to buy a new pipe but that's for another post.