Like to get her going with matches.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipsterX

Reaction score
I find that I get a much better and more constant burn if I char with matches first then use the Zippo through out the bowl. Thoughts?

CipsterX":maahqr2d said:
I find that I get a much better and more constant burn if I char with matches first then use the Zippo through out the bowl. Thoughts?
I smoke outside so I haven't a choice but to use a butane but, I have used matches
and if one is not careful and doesn't lets the match burn for a bit before setting it to the tobacco, you get a nasty sulfur taste.  ;)

CipsterX":2yw40uev said:
Matches are the ONLY way to go through the whole bowl unless ones outside or away from the house, then I use one of my Dunhill lighters, either fuel or butane depending on which one I have with me. My palate is not as discerning as others so I get NO sulphur taste or aroma with matches at all . JMHO  :twisted: 

I to agree that letting the sulfur burn off first is the way to go.

I'm with Monbola, as I use matches throughout the whole bowl. I've also found a pretty fool proof way of lighting matches outside and shielding them from the wind. Other than the windiest of days I am able to use matches, at which point I'll just use a bic to keep the fire going.

Only sometimes. It does make it a little extra fun

I'm using matches at the moment. Like Monbla, I don't discern any sulphur. Although I'm happy with the results I've recently ordered a gas lighter from China so will let you know how that goes after it arrives. As for my zippo copy, I find it a tricky little chappy so have put it on the sub's bench.

I used to do it with a dry twig. Or a match stick sized piece of wood. Light it with butane, and then apply flame to your tobacca.
That way you avoid sulphur smell. And that's how things were done when matches weren't widely available commodity.

There's a risk with matches (or whatever sticks twigs and so on) to make damage to the rim of your pipe in time if not careful, and that's why I use butane lighter almost exclusively now. Works for me just fine, no smell and no extravagant behavior. Just light and puff. It's that simple.

I also prefer to start with a match and then do relights with the zippo (outside) or my Corona (inside, can't lose it that way).

Penny matches for the most part here. When it gets halfway or more down the bowl I might use the cheap IMCO. Or not.

Like my Zippo, but it guzzles fuel in proportion to how often it's used. Which isn't all that often.

But I go through phases, and right now I'm back to mostly matches.

pipe_dobbs.jpeg

Cheers,

RR

I don't mind matches, when I've got em. Usually I use my old Nimrod. Or if I'm near a fire I'll just drop a small coal straight in.

Jim