Liking red cake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
While searching the forums for VA recommendations I ran across an old post from either PuffDaddy or Richard Burley (I think). Whoever it was recommended a mixture of McClellands 5100 red cake and a small amount of 5105 stoved virginia. I ordered some of this tobacco several days ago and mixed up a batch (4 oz 5100 to 1 oz 5105) and have been smoking it ever since. I really enjoy this mixture and will probably buy a lot more of these bulk tobaccos in the future. The price is certainly right.

Kim

You, sir, have discovered the frugal piper's alternative -- tasty, quality toback, in bulk, resasonably priced and tailorable to your own preferences. Try adding a little perique, if you're a VaPer fan. Now all you need are some Mason jars and you're on your way to building an ample private hoard :)

Yea Kevin, I'm pretty happy with this mixture. I'm not a big fan of perique at this point but that could change. I've got two dozen Mason jars so I'm all set to do some minor hoarding.

Kim

I used the above mixture and added latakia to one batch and perique to another, both turned out well

Way back when the MC bulks were a good buy; but now I see most for ~$47. Not much of a budget price anymore.

alfredo_buscatti":s5zr6vwf said:
Way back when the MC bulks were a good buy; but now I see most for ~$47. Not much of a budget price anymore.
I've only been buying pipe tobacco for a couple of months now so don't remember prices much less than the $50/lb mark. However, as an ex cigarette smoker used to paying over $6/pack and smoking a pack a day, $5 for an ounce of tobacco that will last me at least 11 days is a real bargain.

Kim

re: tin vs. bulk prices

Looking @ my handy grams to pounds converter, McC prices for bulk are roughly twenty percent cheaper for bulk than tinned, figuring 1 lb vs. 4.5 100 gram tins. If you'd like an even more attractive split, check Altadis' bulk offerings.

The Value Consumer ;)

KevinM":9ikrr4gl said:

Looking @ my handy grams to pounds converter, McC prices for bulk are roughly twenty percent cheaper for bulk than tinned, figuring 1 lb vs. 4.5 100 gram tins. If you'd like an even more attractive split, check Altadis' bulk offerings.

The Value Consumer ;)
This. I do shop for the best price on bulk, and even at $50/lb works out to better than tinned.

Frugally yours and Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":hpfgxa7z said:
KevinM":hpfgxa7z said:

The Value Consumer ;)
This. I do shop for the best price on bulk, and even at $50/lb works out to better than tinned.

Frugally yours and Cheers,

RR
Same here.

At 4Noggins if you use the bob discount code it knocks 10% off. 5lb purchases from other sites will get the more expensive McClelland bulks down to about $40.00 a pound. And then there are th bulks that can be found for $30.00 a pound :cheers:

I'm not saying that bulk isn't the way to go, if you don't want to pay the price for tins. About the only tins I've bought in my recent tobacco buildup is Escudo. I was only saying only that the MC Old Grey Mare of Bulk ain't what she used to be. Only a dozen years ago I remember prices in the upper 20s for a lb.

alfredo_buscatti":k639w870 said:
I'm not saying that bulk isn't the way to go, if you don't want to pay the price for tins. About the only tins I've bought in my recent tobacco buildup is Escudo. I was only saying only that the MC Old Grey Mare of Bulk ain't what she used to be. Only a dozen years ago I remember prices in the upper 20s for a lb.
Gas prices were under $2.00 a gallon also.... :lol:

I buy some tins. But I buy primarily bulk. I just started cellaring in the past 6 months. And I feel I am a little behind due to that. As it stands today I am have a certain level of comfort with having 50 lbs put back of tobacco I like a lot.

Yo, I don't know if I should be spilling the beans, but you all are my brothers, right?

All of Russ's HH blends have been selling "on sale" for $14.95 per 8oz tin for quite some time now. That'd be $30/# (in tins)....not bad, eh? Pipesandcigars, that is....

' course I have 17.5oz of his stuff and haven't yet tried it...but all signs point to "go, go, go! ".

Try mixing 5100 with a good burley, 50/50, and you have a nicer version of Half&Half.

deepbass9":ic5y7ofb said:
Yo, I don't know if I should be spilling the beans, but you all are my brothers, right?

All of Russ's HH blends have been selling "on sale" for $14.95 per 8oz tin for quite some time now. That'd be $30/# (in tins)....not bad, eh? Pipesandcigars, that is....

' course I have 17.5oz of his stuff and haven't yet tried it...but all signs point to "go, go, go! ".
It was especially nice in December when there was an additional 20% off that price!

Still a good deal.

Wet Dottle":b2egxd3r said:
Try mixing 5100 with a good burley, 50/50, and you have a nicer version of Half&Half.
I might give that a try. Can you suggest a good bulk burley?

Kim

Wet Dottle":s3b78onv said:
+1. I mixed 10-year-old 5100 50/50 with Wilke Best Burley for a right nice DIY Half n' Half. Not sure what Carole Burns might say, but it's mighty nice.

P.S. I'm not arguing against tins as much as saying that, in addition to offering opportunities for thrift, bulk also offers opps to play with the tobacco and get to know the different cuts, packing qualities etc. Nothing like having a lb of tobacco in front of you in a heap to get to know it better :)

P.P.S. When I put the toback in canning jars I pack it fairly tight, using a small tomato paste can for a tamper. I've never had the weed dry out, though I don't have anything to compare.

KevinM":lrwvp2sv said:
P.S. I'm not arguing against tins as much as saying that, in addition to offering opportunities for thrift, bulk also offers opps to play with the tobacco and get to know the different cuts, packing qualities etc. Nothing like having a lb of tobacco in front of you in a heap to get to know it better :)
+ 1

I tend to go for bulk tobaccos for the thrift aspect. I like to get the best price possible per gram. Bulks allow me to do this. Luckily for me there are tobaccos I enjoy immensely that are available in bulk or at least in 8 oz tins.

Had I started cellaring tobacco earlier I probably still would have gone for bulk blends. Maybe not, but I've always looked for ways to get the most mileage out of my dollars because I've always had a budget :lol:

If I ever don't have budgetary constraints it could get very interesting :lol:

ragged claws":bfbu0i71 said:
I might give that a try. Can you suggest a good bulk burley?
McClellands has several good bulk burleys, of which X40 is the one I've used in the mix because it is very robust, and I like a robust smoke. On the other side of the spectrum is Lane's BL/WB, if you want a lighter smoke and have a sweet tooth. KevinM's recommendation sounds good to me, too.

When you decide you like Perique, add some to the mix in, say, 3 to 6% by weight.