Linkmans Tamper

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejames

Reaction score
When not restoring pipes I like to make a pipe now and then or a tamper. I often make tampers from an old pipe. Whack off the bowl add a brass tip and insert a pick.This one was made from an old Linkmans Liverpool shape-9719- that had a badly cracked bowl.

Very creative and cool idea. 8) I'll have to keep that in mind.

Hey, that's not only creative, resourceful, and ingenious--it just happens to be the most desirable tamper I've ever seen. I'm not much on tampers, prefering to use a scorched digit, but that one floats my boat.

Nicely done! That's a great way to give new life to a piece of wood. Wonderful! :)

Richard Burley":peg67opp said:
Hey, that's not only creative, resourceful, and ingenious--it just happens to be the most desirable tamper I've ever seen. I'm not much on tampers, prefering to use a scorched digit, but that one floats my boat.
My middle finger, if at all possible. :lol: 8)

Thanks Gents. It is satisfying to take an old pipe that is no longer useable and make something from it. Although I have beheaded a few that were still useable.

ejames":ypekyz8i said:
Thanks Gents. It is satisfying to take an old pipe that is no longer useable and make something from it. Although I have beheaded a few that were still useable.
Blasphemy! ;)

That is some VERY NICE work! And an original idea as well ! Is the black cap of the screw-out pick part of the original stem? And what are the approximate dimensions ie length x width?

monbla256":xtvh5qko said:
That is some VERY NICE work! And an original idea as well ! Is the black cap of the screw-out pick part of the original stem? And what are the approximate dimensions ie length x width?
The cap was made from the original stem. After cutting it I filled the hole with a short piece of aluminum. It is 4" long and the pick is 2 1/2" not including the threaded tenon. It's 1/2" in diameter.

Lovely! Not to mention appealing to my "waste not want not" sensibilities. GOod work, sir.

Thanks Doc! I save all the parts of any damaged pipes I get in here,cracked bowls,broken stems etc. Every so often I find something in those boxes I can use.

If that had a "Buy It Now" button next to it, I'd be clicking it.

Small world, ejames: I went to high school just south of you, in scenic Gosnell, AR. This was back in the eighties, when there was still a B-52 nuke base there.

Cheers

Couldn't place Gosnell. After googling it I see it is close to Blytheville. Growing up in the Mo. boot heel everyone referred to that air base as being in Blytheville.
I used to sell a few of those tampers on Ebag. Ones made from Kaywoodie "White Briar" sold the best.
Find a pipe and I can make you one. Just made one for a friend over at the DGCF from a Kaywoodie canadian.