List your stereo setup

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the receiver and cd player early in the year, and just acquired the speakers pretty recently.  Not 'high end' per se but not a bad system.  I have the speakers placed about 6 to 8 feet from my club chair (which puts them about 3' out from the wall)  as most of my listening is at fairly low volumes (kids sleeping and all) and the manufacturer recommended 3' from the wall for best sound.  The speaker position makes for some interesting maneuvers in getting to my books and pipes but it really makes a difference in terms of sound quality, esp. at the lower volumes.  I mostly listen to Jazz and Classical cd's in the evenings, and I can get both a Classical and Jazz radio stations to change things up.

Onkyo TX-8020 receiver...

x580TX8020-F.jpg

Onkyo C-7030 Single-disc CD player...

x580C7030-F.jpeg

BIC Acoustech PL-76 Tower Speakers (got a fantastic price on these at overstock.com)...

bic_pl76b.jpg

Bic Acoustech Cinema Series H100II...

bic100_b.jpg

I stopped chasing stereo upgrades back in the mid 80's.

Crown preamp
Crown DC-300A Series II power amp
Denon CD player (single disc)
Techniques direct drive turntable
Harmon/Karden Cassette Deck
Nikko AM/FM Tuner (haven't used it in years due to the poor reception in my area)

All rack mounted stuff.

JBL Horizon L166 Speakers (mid 70's era. Had the bass speakers re-coned 10 yrs ago)

Works fine and still sounds great to me. Use it every day, and still have an extensive vinyl collection.

Cheers,

RR

="\"Brewdude"I stopped chasing stereo upgrades back in the mid 80's. Crown preamp Crown DC-300A Series II power amp Denon CD player (single disc) Techniques direct drive turntable Harmon/Karden Cassette Deck Nikko AM/FM Tuner (haven't used it in years due to the poor reception in my area) All rack mounted stuff. JBL Horizon L166 Speakers (mid 70's era. Had the bass speakers re-coned 10 yrs ago) Works fine and still sounds great to me. Use it every day, and still have an extensive vinyl collection.quote"]
Cheers,

RR
Good stuff my friend, sounds like me. Lost all touch with what was what back then too and I too still have Vinyl, more then any other media but, sadly haven't really used my stereo in a long while.

Eric's post on another pipe forum had me checking out his BIC speakers. I currently have a set of Boston Accoustics Sub-Sat 6's, which work well for movies and I keep them hidden in the TV center. That doesn't work so well for 2-channel music, so I just bought a pair of BIC DV84's (a little cheaper than Eric's PL-76's). I just installed them this evening. I had to run one speaker wire lead into the basement, than up to get around the fireplace. I'm listening to some Pink Floyd now (remastered Dark Side) and some Jeff Beck "Guitar Shop". Wow, these things rock and they didn't break the bank. I wish I'd have bought some towers 10 years ago...

The wife is out of town, hopefully she is OK with the look in the family room...

Most of my stereo is in storage since moving into another house last December. I am going to finally part with one of my 2 pairs of Clements RT-7 speakers shown on each side of the 8 ft long subwoofer. I have since put new foam wrap around grills on them to complete the restoration. If end up keeping them I'll just stack them so that they will be 8ft tall but only be 11" wide.
IMG_3047_zps2f755c26.jpg
[/url][/img]

And now I'm enjoying a set of Audioquest Nighthawk headphones that my son is loaning me:
NightHawk_HomePageSlide_zps0j2bzrxh.jpeg
[/url][/img]

The 8 foot long subwoofer pictured above is for sale too. :lol:

hobie1dog":70cutnwz said:
I asked my wife "can I get an 8" long subwoofer?". She said "no".......

riff raff":wggqsxe5 said:
hobie1dog":wggqsxe5 said:
I asked my wife "can I get an 8" long subwoofer?".   She said "no".......
I don't ask my wife about stereos, I just show her drawings and build the things, otherwise she would want those little Bose cubes that sound like crap.

She knows music is my passion in life.

These were the set of 8 ft tall speakers I built
P1000815-1.jpg

Bedroom setup:

A Project Starlight Tube headphone amp running a Genalex Gold Lion 12AU7.
Sony SCD-CE595 SACD/CD player.
Pioneer SE-A1000 Headphones. (full size / over the ear)

Pic is not mine, camera on my phone decided not to auto-focus anymore. lol

Living Room setup:

Pioneer Elite VSX-79 Receiver
Vintage Sony CDP-302 CD Player
Pioneer-PD-M40 CD Player / 6-Disc Changer
Realistic Mach One Speakers.

(with a pair of old-school big-box 15" woofers, no sub-woofer needed.) 8)

hobie1dog":740k30lg said:
Rob:  thanks for the list....nice stuff :cheers:
Bedroom tube headphone amp is incredible.  Accurate, tight, fantastic highs & lows (no tone adjustments, none are needed), and still a nice 'Tube' sound to smooth out cd's.

Living room setup is older-school (mid 80's, early 90's).
My receiver was made just before Pioneer went all plastic.  That Pionner Elite receiver has a very large actual transformer and massive heatsinks inside.  Back when they still built them by the pound, and the last of the 'still really good sounding' era for them.

The speakers are probably the best that Rat Shack ever sold, the Mach One's. Gotta love a pair of old school 15" woofers in the living room, along with 4" x 15" Mid-Horns they contain.  8)

mach_o10.jpg
" />