List your stereo setup

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobie1dog

Reaction score
Many of us have a stereo going while smoking. Post up some pics of your stereo, speakers for us.

Being that I still live in the Stone Age I have a rather old but, working stereo.
It's mainly Pioneer that includes a belt drive turntable, reverb unit, 8 Track player/recorder,
cassette player/recorder, tuner, and a Teac Reel to Reel. Have 6 Pioneer cabinet speakers out of the picture, 4 with cross over controls. 4 are of the pedestal type and 2 are the standard rectangle. I had this complete unit since the the early 80's and it'll still shake the neighbors windows at 1/3 volume. My DVD/VHS unit is hooked up to it so I can have a surround like sound for TV and movies but, play my CD's on it as well. Yes, I still have VHS tapes, a complete wall of them, LOL!

MVC-116F.jpg

The wife makes me smoke outside, this time of year it's in the garage.
This is the cold weather Man Cave.

speakers are Dahlquist DQ-20's . Tuner is a Proton 440, Amp is Audio Source.

005.JPG

This is my sanity preservation project at work.  Over 300 vinyl albums converted to high quality FLAC files in my laptop.  Connecting the MAC1900 to the laptop is a Maverick Audio Tubemagic DAC, which is bit perfect in it's conversion.  I don't play them very loud, but there is a pair of Klipsch Heresy II speakers plugged into the MAC.  

I have three sets of MAC1900's and Kilpsch Heresy II speakers.  At home one set is connected to a DUAL 1019 turntable and the other to the LCD TV.  I have other equipment, but that's what is in use.

sanity10.jpg
[/url][/img]

GeoffC":8lbdiaaz said:
Usually just listen to Jazz/Blues on Google Music on the laptop.   Usually the Gracie the cat is not included.
So you have no real stereo equipment:( ...lol

Hobie, I don't think there are many nowadays that have REAL stereo equipment.
Sign of the times, MP3 players or what ever they call them now.

Actually I have an Onyko receiver and omni directional speakers . . . but don't use it. May hook up a spare confuser to it to play all my music. Large collection of jazz/blues and live shows I uploaded to Google Music.

My subwoofer with (4) 18" Obsidian divers.  cabinet is 8ft. long:cheers:

When I got my equipment I could have a music system or a home theater but not both. So, I built a music-centric home theater in my living room. B&K 200x5 amp, Denon AVR used as processor, SVS 320w 12" sub, and matched Tannoy Eyris loudspeakers around the room. I'd love a two channel setup for music, but what I've got does a great job as an all around system, even though its real strength is movies.

I'm not a big hi-fi guy, but I do appreciate good sound. I'm just not a junkie. I had my brother-in-law pick me out some gear. The requirements were that they had to be ultra small and offer premium sound. I've been extremely happy with my Energy RC Micro 5.1 speakers powered by my Yamaha RXV-565 .

Energy_RC_Micro_5_130309.jpg

16835_12001_1.jpg

No pictures.  Sorry.

Hafler 9270 amp  http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-xuVWw0KjlUo/Tti6Z0PQekI/AAAAAAAAEFg/R6QhAJ948jE/s1600/P1070302.JPG

Rotel RC-990bx pre-amp  http://product-images.highwire.com/3863170/5708-3.jpg

Project 1 turntable  http://coolmaterial.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/Pro-Ject-Debut-III-Phono-USB-Turntable.jpg

Ortofon MC10 Super cartridge

Paradigm 9SE speakers (1st generation)  http://imgc.classistatic.com/cps/kjc/120214/249r1/12744bh_20.jpeg

Magnavox CDB 473 CD player#  http://img.usaudiomart.com/uploads/large/470348-magnavow_cdb473_with_tda1541_and_swing_arm_vintage_and_audiphile_grade.jpg

JVC KD-V220 cassette deck*  http://hifiland.net/katalog/foto/velke/Jvc%20KD-V220.jpg

It is a solidly mid-fi system.  Better than what you would have compiled out of the average store, but not high-end by any means.  I envy people who live in large cities and have a plentiful used market.  Craigslist is an amazing resource for high-end equipment for cheap.  I'm someone who, given the choice, would have a $2000 car and a $20,000 stereo system.  Music is my thing.

I use my computer as my main component these days, playing FLACs through Foobar.  I plan to upgrade my soundcard by quite a lot, and I'm hoping to add an external DAC as well.  I'm looking at the Schiit Bifrost as a top runner.

* I'm in the process of buying my first high-quality cassette deck.  I'm shopping as we speak.  It's the only component I've never upgraded to a quality that satiates my desire to have nice audio equipment.  I'm looking at a couple Nakamichi decks.  It's surprisingly difficult to get:  1)  3 heads  2)  manual tape type selection  3)  manual azimuth adjustment.

This is a great, really fun site:
http://www.vintagecassette.com/

# this was the CD player many manufacturers hotrodded in the 90s and turned into $1000-2000 players.  It was made my Philips.  I talked many people into buying them (because they were cheap and near audiophile grade out of the box), and when CD players went the way of the Dodo for many people, I ended up with a barely used model.  I rarely use it, though.  I play CDs through my computer hooked up to the stereo.

Speaking of cartridges and needles. I prefer the warm sound of the Stanton 681 series. I also acquired and stashed several of what was probably the very last stereohedron styli available for the 681E. These were a KAB sourced Pickering D-11-S.

Carlos":cxh13dx9 said:
Speaking of cartridges and needles.  I prefer the warm sound of the Stanton 681 series.  I also acquired and stashed several of what was probably the very last stereohedron styli available for the 681E.  These were a KAB sourced Pickering D-11-S.      
I used that same Stanton for years. It's what my dad used, and cartridges are maybe the most difficult to buy because you cannot listen to them. You almost always have to go off word of mouth and written reviews. It sucks. Then I went to The Needle Doctor in Minneapolis and was able to listening test several cartridges (still wasn't an ideal situation). I was surprised how harsh Stanton was compared to some of the others. They certainly weren't the worst, but after listening to several, I didn't buy another Stanton. I went with the Ortofon I have listed above. I need to replace the cartridge soon, and I'm dreading it. I want to upgrade, but without hearing them side by side, it's like roulette.

I recently finally bought one of my favorite turntables, a Micro Seiki DX-1000.  This is a picture of the model I  bought, not mine as I don't have mine set-up yet. I have the Micro Seiki M-707 arm and a new Sumiko Blackbird cartridge for it.

hobie1dog":974d6zj4 said:
I recently finally bought one of my favorite turntables, a Micro Seiki DX-1000.  This is a picture of the model I  bought, not mine as I don't have mine set-up yet. I have the Micro Seiki M-707 arm and a new Sumiko Blackbird cartridge for it.
Holy Mother of God man, that looks like an alien space craft, 3 tone arms?
It's been a long time since I bought a turntable so I obviously live in the stone age still.
What can you tell me about this? Why 3 different tones arms? What makes it better then most? I seriously would like to know more even though I'm afraid to ask what these go for.
Is this direct drive or belt? Please educate me.

Zeno Marx":sahthsjq said:
Carlos":sahthsjq said:
Speaking of cartridges and needles.  I prefer the warm sound of the Stanton 681 series.  I also acquired and stashed several of what was probably the very last stereohedron styli available for the 681E.  These were a KAB sourced Pickering D-11-S.      
I used that same Stanton for years.  It's what my dad used, and cartridges are maybe the most difficult to buy because you cannot listen to them.  You almost always have to go off word of mouth and written reviews.  It sucks.  Then I went to The Needle Doctor in Minneapolis and was able to listening test several cartridges (still wasn't an ideal situation).  I was surprised how harsh Stanton was compared to some of the others.  They certainly weren't the worst, but after listening to several, I didn't buy another Stanton.  I went with the Ortofon I have listed above.  I need to replace the cartridge soon, and I'm dreading it.  I want to upgrade, but without hearing them side by side, it's like roulette.
Why replace the cartridge? Just get a new stylus if you can. My Stanton is ancient, but that just means it's broke in. That's the hard part. Deciding on a cartridge when all you can listen to are not yet broke in. And the table, and tonearm. Well, you know. I have a near new Audio Technica, a Dual 704 much newer than the Dual 1019. But I use the 1019 all the time because it has "the sound."

Carlos":l6maomfr said:
Zeno Marx":l6maomfr said:
Carlos":l6maomfr said:
I used that same Stanton for years.  It's what my dad used, and cartridges are maybe the most difficult to buy because you cannot listen to them.  You almost always have to go off word of mouth and written reviews.  It sucks.  Then I went to The Needle Doctor in Minneapolis and was able to listening test several cartridges (still wasn't an ideal situation).  I was surprised how harsh Stanton was compared to some of the others.  They certainly weren't the worst, but after listening to several, I didn't buy another Stanton.  I went with the Ortofon I have listed above.  I need to replace the cartridge soon, and I'm dreading it.  I want to upgrade, but without hearing them side by side, it's like roulette.
Why replace the cartridge?  Just get a new stylus if you can.  My Stanton is ancient, but that just means it's broke in.  That's the hard part.  Deciding on a cartridge when all you can listen to are not yet broke in.  And the table, and tonearm.  Well, you know.  I have a near new Audio Technica, a Dual 704 much newer than the Dual 1019.  But I use the 1019 all the time because it has "the sound."
You don't replace the stylus on a moving coil.  The cantilever is connected to the apparatus and cannot be removed like it can with MM.  They're a different animal than a moving magnet, which is what the Stanton is.  If I was to replace an Ortofon with another Ortofon, Ortofon would give me a credit for the old cartridge.  I'm happy with my Ortofon, but I'm also feeling adventurous.  Having learned what a HUGE difference was between Stanton and Ortofon sound, I'm very curious to hear what others have to offer.

MM vs MC
http://stereos.about.com/od/stereoscience/a/mmmc.htm

Replacing stylus/cartridge isn't as arbitrary and mystical as you might think.  They all have recommended hour use, and if you don't trust that spec, you have someone look at it under a microscope to see the wear.  When I've lived in smaller cities without the advantage of a hi-fi shop and microscope, I've gone off the recommended hours.  Replacing a stylus, even at $100-200, is part of the vinyl game.  I don't want to cause undue damage and wear to my records.  When I used MMs (moving magnets) and just replaced the stylus by hour usage, I kept the the old stylus until the next time I went to a hi-fi shop to have them checked in case they still had some life on them.  The Stanton hour parameters were pretty much reliable and dead-on, though.  If they said 250 hours of use before replacement (*or every 2-3 years of normal use), you could pretty well bet at 250 hours it needed replacement.  It would be worn to the point of doing more than necessary damage to the groove.  If you have $10-15K in records, it's a no-brainer to spend the money on maintenance.  When I lived in Minneapolis and near great turntable shops, I was replacing stylus every 18-24 months, but I was also playing records almost every day after work.

Cartaphilus":zulvl5zc said:
hobie1dog":zulvl5zc said:
Holy Mother of God man, that looks like an alien space craft, 3 tone arms?
It's been a long time since I bought a turntable so I obviously live in the stone age still.
What can you tell me about this? Why 3 different tones arms? What makes it better then most? I seriously would like to know more even though I'm afraid to ask what these go for.
Is this direct drive or belt? Please educate me.
It is a direct drive model. Up to 3 tonearms can be mounted so that you can mount 3 different cartridges on them. Cartridges can have very big differences in sound, so you can tailor different sounding carts to different sounding recordings. The DX-1000 were made years ago and here is a link with the basic information on them:
http://www.vinylengine.com/library/micro-seiki/ddx-1000.shtml
They go for 750.00-2500.00 according to condition and which tonearms are included, and how many of them are included. There is also a DDX-1500 model and others that can accept 4 tonearms. The vinylengine site above has info on all the Micro Seiki models. They were just high quality tt's and their tonearms were of the same quality and highly collectable. I found mine from the original owner in Canada that had the original boxes with a MA-707 straight tone arm that had an adjustment for different mass cartridges.